Re: Tertiary Balls

Alix Verge

Martin Prins always insisted that teal and orange go together ... duck a l'orange.

To: cnswplayers@...
From: cnswplayers@...
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 13:54:42 +1100
Subject: Re: [cnswplayers] Tertiary Balls

Brenda & others.

I agree with Jim Hicks history below and can take it back one step further just to support the presently used pairings.

As far as I am aware the tertiary colours were introduced at least in NSW by Harry Olsen in the early eighties. He simply painted over existing balls with silver (now grey), gold (now orange) which were a pair, together with a purple and a green colour (the exact colours are not retained in my memory bank) which were the other pair. Back then the 'order' was not relevant as they were mainly used for AC.

The order suggested by Jim seems OK.

John Eddes

On 9/02/2015 6:31 PM, Jim Hicks jimhicks@... [cnswplayers] wrote:

   Hullo Brenda and all,

The problem has arisen because when tertiary balls were first introduced, they came with Orange and Grey, v two shades of purple (say burgundy and mauve)
After a few years, the paler one, mauve (or lilac), was discontinued and a new greenish colour, aqua replaced it.
So now it is definitely Orange & Gray v Burgundy & Aqua, and the correct sequence would be:  Aqua (=Blue), Orange (=Red), Burgundy (=Black) and Gray (=Yellow)
I accept that there's not a lot of logic here, and not all clubs follow that sequence, however whenever you are compelled to triple bank, it does revert to "fun" games,
so if "Catfood and Dogfood" please you, then just enjoy it.
Cheers,
Jim Hicks.

On 09/02/2015, at 5:49 PM, Brenda Evans brenda@... [cnswplayers] wrote:

Hi Mary,
Thank you. We might have to take a vote on this, I think!!
Brenda

On 9/02/2015 5:44 PM, Gibson Maria mpagibson@... [cnswplayers] wrote:

Dear Brenda

To add to the confusion, Mosman has tertiary balls and they are referred to as:

Turquoise and Magenta  v  Gold and Silver.

Here's hoping you play the right ball.
Cheers
Mary Gibson

On 09/02/2015, at 5:40 PM, 'Alan Honey' atasteofhoney@... [cnswplayers] wrote:

I  always thought it was Orange and grey and purple and aqua but cat food and dog food made me laugh!

Cheers

Alan