To: cnswplayers@...
From: cnswplayers@...
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2014 09:43:00 +1100
Subject: Re: [cnswplayers] Re: Advice requested! New venue for Blue Mountains Croquet Club

John,

I understand Tempe is actually Greenlees Park couch but it has the same characteristics as described. RSGC is Santa Anna couch.

Sutherland is converting gradually to Queensland blue couch - more weed resilient, green in  winter, slightly coarser leaves, needs lots of water in Sydney.

John

On 3/12/2014 12:25 AM, 'Peter Freer' pfreer@... [cnswplayers] wrote:

John – Canberra uses Santa Anna couch, like Tempe.  Very hardy, and uses far less water than bent or fescue, but does go dormant in cold weather (looks brown and people assume it has died, but it responds once soil temperature climbs again)..  Buffalo is enthusiastic, but too coarse-leafed for good croquet.  We mow at least once/week, and twice in peak growing season.  Ideally you can mow to 3mm but this requires a good machine & operator, and a bit longer is better able to handle drought & better for gateball.  We put the irrigation on for 20 minutes/station every third night in summer.

Regards, peter

Peter Freer

Canberra CC