Re: Advice requested! New venue for Blue Mountains Croquet Club

Peter Freer

John – Canberra uses Santa Anna couch, like Tempe.  Very hardy, and uses far less water than bent or fescue, but does go dormant in cold weather (looks brown and people assume it has died, but it responds once soil temperature climbs again)..  Buffalo is enthusiastic, but too coarse-leafed for good croquet.  We mow at least once/week, and twice in peak growing season.  Ideally you can mow to 3mm but this requires a good machine & operator, and a bit longer is better able to handle drought & better for gateball.  We put the irrigation on for 20 minutes/station every third night in summer.

Regards, peter

Peter Freer

Canberra CC