Re: GC Handicaps

Wal

That's not counting those who don't seem to have a handicap of any kind (1458 or nearly 50% of registered NSW members!).

Do you mean 1,458 do not have a GC handicap or do you mean they do not have an AC or GC handicap?

As for the numbers you've quoted for GC divisions. Call me pedantic but the numbers alone do not prove there is a problem at either end of the spectrum similar to the quoted UK problem. To be clear I'm not saying there isn't a problem, nor would I know as AC is my game. However in my experience in AC & GC it's clear there will be more players in the divisions 2 & 3 vs 1.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone. My right thumb will be aching now.

On 28/03/2014, at 21:14, Wal Mills <walm@...> wrote:

This list is too quiet.

The Croquet Association (UK) has extended the lower end GC handicaps to -3 reasoning that, quote:-
"It has been obvious for some time that the lower end of the GC Handicap scale was far too cramped with players of a very wide range of playing abilities all sharing a 0 handicap."
While there doesn't seem to be statistics for all of Australia, for NSW at least, this very issue is at the other end of the scale.

The latest statistics for NSW GC show as at March 2014

100 players in Division 1 (0 to 4
H/C) (6.5%)
523 Division 2 (5 to 8 H/C) (34.1%)
912 Division 3 (9 to 12 H/C) (59.4%)

That's not counting those who don't seem to have a handicap of any kind (1458 or nearly 50% of registered NSW members!).

I don't understand why the higher handicap players are penalised in the current system (with H/C range and Index) and why any discussion is at the lower H/C end.

Unfortunately my submission to the ACA on this doesn't seem to have been loud enough.

Can I hear any voices?

Wal