Topics

Nikkor Ais modification to PL mount

james.palmer@...

Can anyone suggest a source that can modify Nikkor Ais style lens to PL mount  (prefer Los Angeles area)?

I have checked with Duclos, but they are not currently setup to perform such modifications.

Application is for 35mm film (ARRI) camera.

TIA

Jim M Palmer

Prod Driven Svs

Siemens Inc.

Digital Factory Division

Product Lifecyle Management

Product Driven Services

10824 Hope Street

CYPRESS, CA  90630 United States

Tel.      :+1 (714) 952-5463

Fax      :+1 (714) 952-5371

james.palmer@...
james.palmer@...

www.siemens.com/plm

Charles Pickel - Serious Gear Co.

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 09:04 am, <james.palmer@...> wrote:
Can anyone suggest a source that can modify Nikkor Ais style lens to PL mount  (prefer Los Angeles area)?
Hi James,
Perhaps I can shed a bit of light. All puns intended. Despite similarities or closeness in flange depth (aka back focus) between some lens systems, it is only part of the story when it comes time to physically adapt a lens to camera with longer flange-to-sensor distance. In effect, you are trying to shove part of the lens inside the camera in order to get the optics close enough to have full range of focus.

You may have noted there are PL cine-mods available for some Leica lenses (Back Focus: 47mm). Eliminating that pesky 5mm to get the thing to function on Arri PL (BF 52mm) involves a bit of mechanical surgery. But the mount/iris/iris control ring mechanisms are designed in the original lenses in such a way as to make this possible.

In Nikon-F mount lenses (be they F, AI or AIS types), the systems has a Flange depth of 46.5mm. Not so terribly far from Leica, right ? Except the Nikkor lenses have iris linkages and control rings, and sometimes the iris diaphragm itself positioned within that 5.5mm demolition zone where you would be shortening the lens.  As iris position is one thing that determines exit pupil position - a critical aspect of the lenses' design- you are not free to arbitrarily move it . Thus rendering most of these lenses not practical for PL mounting. I understand people are successfully converting some Canon FD lenses which , despite their short 42mm back-focus are perhaps more mechanically suited to conversion. I hope this helps.   -Charles

Jean-Marc Bouchut

James,
Thanks for contacting me.
I'm not sure if i understand well your question. For which lens do you need a Nikon mount ?

Thanks,

Jean-Marc

Can anyone suggest a source that can modify Nikkor Ais style lens to PL mount (prefer Los Angeles area)?

I have checked with Duclos, but they are not currently setup to perform such modifications.

Application is for 35mm film (ARRI) camera.

TIA

Jim M Palmer

Prod Driven Svs

Siemens Inc.

Digital Factory Division

Product Lifecyle Management

Product Driven Services

10824 Hope Street

CYPRESS, CA 90630 United States

Tel. :+1 (714) 952-5463

Fax :+1 (714) 952-5371

<https://groups.io/g/cml-glass/james.palmer@...%20>james.palmer@...
james.palmer@...
<mailto:james.palmer@...>

www.siemens.com/plm <https://groups.io/g/cml-glass/www.siemens.com/plm>

daveblackham@...

James,

True lens Services in Uk do this and also David Cox at Eastern Enterprises in Tokyo. Their work is excellent. It is not a remount but a re house. You could also ask Les Bosher again in the UK who may be able to remount the lens for you. Its been mentioned that some lenses are more suited than others for conversion due to the flange sensor/film plane distance. This work isnt cheap or easy to do.

Dave Blackham

james.palmer@...

Charles, Jean-Marc, Dave

       Thank you all for your detailed and speedy responses.

       I was hoping to be able to re-mount a “typical” set of Nikkors,as used in still photography, perhaps a Nikkor 35mm, 55mm Macro, 85mm.

       I have noted modifications of various Nikkors to PL, mainly on EBay, but typically longer focal lengths which I presume are much easier to modify mechanically.

       However, one modification I have noted recently (on EBay) is the Cinematics 28-70mm zoom, which is a completely rehoused Nikkor 28-70mm zoom with PL mount.

       My problem is that apparently this zoom will not mount correctly (not enough iris gearing clearance) on cameras with larger PL mount locking tabs.

       My application is 35mm film (specifically ARRI 35 IIC / Axel Broda mod, ARRI 35 III, Mitchell / Fries 35R) all of which have large locking tabs on the PL mount.

      Does anyone have any experience /opinions about this specific Cinematics lens or any of the other Cinematics Nikkor modifications with respect to build or optical quality?

      Another concern I have about the Cinematics product is service.  The rehouse is done in China, with to the best of my knowledge no authorized service rep in the USA, let alone Los Angeles.

      Thank you to everyone for your time and would most welcome any feedback, lens opinions good or bad.

Jim M Palmer

Prod Driven Svs

Siemens Inc.

Digital Factory Division

Product Lifecyle Management

Product Driven Services

DF PL PDS GTAC NA

10824 Hope Street

CYPRESS, CA  90630 United States

Tel.      :+1 (714) 952-5463

Fax      :+1 (714) 952-5371

james.palmer@...

www.siemens.com/plm

David Hollander

I am using a set of the Nikkor AI-s primes on the Sony FS7 using the Metabones adapter, with great results.  I am wondering if anyone has used one of the Nikon hard mounts for the Alexa Mini currently available. I would love to get any kind of feedback...

David Hollander
DP/ Producer
San Antonio, TX

Mako Koiwai

May I ask why?

Besides the mechanical and space issues ...

Nikkor’s Focus is backwards.

Nikkors have comparatively short Focus Throws making follow Focusing difficult.

Compared to more modern lenses, some of the older Nikkor’s coatings are inferior. We bought a pristine early 28 mm f2.0. It was unusable in any backlight.

Nikkors were/are designed for Full Frame which means they might not have the desired resolution for Super35. The smaller the format, the more the image needs to be magnified, the more resolution you need.

When Panavision adapted the Sony F900 to shoot the first digital Star Wars they discovered they needed to double the resolution of the much vaunted Panavision Primos!

I bought the most highly developed Canon FD 500 mm f8.0 Cat lens. Poor resolution.

I would look at the inexpensive and excellent Cine Rokinons before going the Nikkor Route! Built-in gears ...

Makofoto, S. Pasadena, Ca

David Hollander

For the work I am doing backwards focus is not an issue.  I rarely use a follow focus.
The Micro-Nikkors have much longer focus travel.  The 55mm and 105mm are great.
The coatings on the later Nikkors (some are still in production!) seem to not present any problems per se, although they do not match as well as CP.2s. In fact they are warm and impart a lovely vintage look.
What is not to love?

David Hollander
DP/Producer
San Antonio, TX

Jeff Kreines

The 60mm Micro-Nikkor focuses to 1:1 without an extension tube. The 55 needs a tube for 1:1.

Jeff Kreines

Sent from iPhone.

On Dec 19, 2017, at 7:37 PM, David Hollander <fourthdensity@...> wrote:

For the work I am doing backwards focus is not an issue.  I rarely use a follow focus.
The Micro-Nikkors have much longer focus travel.  The 55mm and 105mm are great.
The coatings on the later Nikkors (some are still in production!) seem to not present any problems per se, although they do not match as well as CP.2s. In fact they are warm and impart a lovely vintage look.
What is not to love?

David Hollander
DP/Producer
San Antonio, TX

Alex Metcalfe DoP

Does anyone have any experience /opinions about this specific Cinematics lens or any of the other Cinematics Nikkor modifications with respect to build or optical quality?

We had a set of Nikkor lenses rehoused by Cinematics. They were left with the original mounts as we had a red with a Nikon mount. The rehousing looked and felt good but the focus markings were not very accurate and after 2 years or so the barrels started slipping and we regularly had to take them apart to repair. They are a cheap option and did what we needed them to do for a period but I could not recommend them as a good solution.

Alex Metcalfe
DoP
Sent from my LG Mobile