Topics

Putting a cinema lens on an iPhone.

rickt_camera@...

Hi,

Someone is asking if it possible to put a cinema lens on a phone camera (an iPhone).

I think they mean a Master Prime or something like that.

I think the reasons for trying to do this are a bit dubious but I told him I would try to find out.

A web search wasn't very helpful. I only found a few amateurish solutions.

Does anyone know where I can find some detailed info about doing this?

Many thanks

Rick Tullis
DP/Steadicam
Beijing
+86-136-0123-1176

Geoff Boyle

Try asking in cml-glass@groups.io maybe, you know, the lens related list!

Cheers
Geoff Boyle
Cinematographer
EU Based
www.gboyle.co.uk
+31 (0) 637 155 076

On 29 Nov 2017, at 07:23, rickt_camera via Groups.Io <rickt_camera@...> wrote:

Does anyone know where I can find some detailed info about doing this?

sklba.art@...

Rick,

I can't speak on these from personal use, but I remember this being a thing a few years ago. The only thing I was ever aware of was SLR lens adapters, so I don't know how much help these will be.

http://turtleback.hk/en/60-slr-jacket

http://www.vid-atlantic.com/products/encinema-slr-lens-adapter-for-iphone-via-the-mcam

https://www.turnikit.com/products/turnikit-with-metal-iphone-7-plus-case

https://uncrate.com/article/iphone-slr-mount/
I think this is discontinued.

John Sklba
Editor
Memphis, TN

Thomas Hines

This was developed for the Artemis app... I never used it and have no idea if it works independent of the app (would have thought so)

Thomas Hines
DP
London

Thomas Hines

UK        +44 (0) 7790770126

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 6:23 AM, rickt_camera via Groups.Io <rickt_camera@...> wrote:
Hi,

Someone is asking if it possible to put a cinema lens on a phone camera (an iPhone).

I think they mean a Master Prime or something like that.

I think the reasons for trying to do this are a bit dubious but I told him I would try to find out.

A web search wasn't very helpful. I only found a few amateurish solutions.

Does anyone know where I can find some detailed info about doing this?

Many thanks

Rick Tullis
DP/Steadicam
Beijing
+86-136-0123-1176

Geoff Boyle

I saw this at Cameraimage and was blown away by it.
Great 3D prefix of locations as well as the ability to use real lenses.

Almost enough to make me get an IOS device, almost, sorry Nic.

Cheers
Geoff Boyle
Cinematographer
EU Based
www.gboyle.co.uk
+31 (0) 637 155 076

On 29 Nov 2017, at 09:44, Thomas Hines <tomhines57@...> wrote:

This was developed for the Artemis app...

Phil Badger

Reed Morano ASC did something like this on a music video directed by Olivia Wilde. Here's an article about it, and the video:

Page for the Beastgrip adapter:

The video is gorgeous. It would be cool to mess around with this.

Phil Badger
Gaffer, Los Angeles

Scott Dorsey

Likely you could, by removing the existing lens from the phone camera.
However, the phone sensor is so tiny that a 20mm prime would be a long lens.

You'd do better removing the lens assembly and attaching a C-mount flange
to the camera. The flange will have to be attached to the board or sensor
because if you just attach it to the body, any flexing will cause focus
changes.

C-mount cine lenses for 16mm would likely be workable although you would
still not have any wide angles available.

Note that once you put a decent and longer lens on the camera, it won't look
anything like a cellphone anymore. Which seems to be to be defeating the
whole thing.
--scott

Scott Dorsey
Kludge Audio
Williamsburg, VA.

Billy McCreary

That’s proper.

I’ve seen some interesting lenses/adapters come out recently that are slightly less pro. Some here:

Also, has anyone seen this yet:

I think I saw something about it or something like it on here a while back. Looks really interesting.

Also this new format looks real nice. Well done Geoff!

Last also, this article about email dying:

On Nov 29, 2017, at 4:24 AM, Phil Badger <Positivefill@...> wrote:

Reed Morano ASC did something like this on a music video directed by Olivia Wilde. Here's an article about it, and the video:

rickt_camera@...

You are right Geoff, sorry...

Rick Tullis
DP
Beijing

rickt_camera@...

Rick Gerard

That adaptor uses a ground glass screen like the Letus35 LT35ELTEX1 Elite Adapter with Sony PMW-EX1/3 Ring. The Letus keeps the ground glass moving all the time. If you forget to power it up you get a bunch of grain from the ground glass and it’s static and hard to deal with. I shot a made for TV western with one a few years ago and it was kind of a nightmare to deal with on the set. Lots of dust problems. It would be very difficult to keep the beastgrip screen clean.

The disconcerting thing about all of this pretty good looking iPhone (smart phone) video is that clients see it and wonder why you are charging what it takes to cover the cost of professional gear to come and shoot for them. Many of them just want an image and the technical aspects don’t matter that much to them. It’s making it harder and harder to make a living as a technician.

On the other hand, it gives filmmakers with no budget a chance to try telling stories and maybe some future genius directors and DP’s will come out of the experimentation. I’ve spent about $60K on gear this year and made back about 15% of that investment so far in fees. That equation is getting harder and harder to balance out. At least it’s not like the 70’s when my first film camera cost me three times what I paid for my house. Back then clients never complained about the daily cost of gear on the set, it was just expected. It’s not a very different story.

Why Video and Film Have Lost Their Value- Rich Harrington is a sobering article by my friend that most folks wanting to get into the business should read.

Rick Gerard
DP/VFX Supervisor
MovI Pro / Licensed Pilot - Fixed wing and UVA / Will Travel
Northern CA