Topics

iPad and Offloading

Can some clever person tell me if with the likes of USB-C, it will ever be possible to run shotput pro or similar on an iPad.    Now that my accounts are cloud based, It’s the final thing I can only do on a laptop.

Michael J Sanders: Director of Photography

Reel/credits  www.mjsanders.co.uk   M:07976 269818   Linkline Diary: 020 8426 2200    twitter: @hackneydp

Billy McCreary

I haven’t got one yet but this is on my list:

Don’t recall if it can make multiple backups simultaneously.

bMac
DP | EDIT | VFX | TAMPA

On Nov 29, 2017, at 12:37 PM, Michael Sanders <glowstars@...> wrote:

Can some clever person tell me if with the likes of USB-C, it will ever be possible to run shotput pro or similar on an iPad.

nkesler@...

Yes, I’ve been trying to determine the same thing. My laptop has only one need now. And I’d love to replace it with an iPad Pro.

Nick Kesler
Director of Photography
Twin Cities, MN

On Nov 29, 2017, at 11:37 AM, Michael Sanders <glowstars@...> wrote:

Can some clever person tell me if with the likes of USB-C, it will ever be possible to run shotput pro or similar on an iPad.    Now that my accounts are cloud based, It’s the final thing I can only do on a laptop.

Michael J Sanders: Director of Photography

Reel/credits  www.mjsanders.co.uk   M:07976 269818   Linkline Diary: 020 8426 2200    twitter: @hackneydp

Steve Oakley

I have a gnarbox. you can use it to copy cards to a drive. however its UI isn’t as optimized as one would like for purely dumping cards. they had a couple GoPro employees join the company and tried to make it an edit your go pro videos on this box thing in the dream of selling millions.

originally it was primary conceived of as a smart card dumper for photo / video. I regularly bug them about this : just dump cards, dumb and simple. I think they will eventually get it, but bugging them that this is what the market NEEDS vs what they think it wants is what matters.

I’d use it rather than carry a laptop when carrying the laptop is a pain, or risk of damage / loss… OTH you can get a cheap chrome book or PC laptop that would work just as well if all you want to do is dump cards.

there are other dedicated card dumpers on the market FWIW but at much higher price.

Steve Oakley
DP / Editor / Colorist / VFX Artist
Madison & Milwaukee WI
920 544 2230

On Nov 29, 2017, at 12:41 PM, nkesler@... wrote:

Yes, I’ve been trying to determine the same thing. My laptop has only one need now. And I’d love to replace it with an iPad Pro.

Nick Kesler
Director of Photography
Twin Cities, MN

On Nov 29, 2017, at 11:37 AM, Michael Sanders <glowstars@...> wrote:

Can some clever person tell me if with the likes of USB-C, it will ever be possible to run shotput pro or similar on an iPad.    Now that my accounts are cloud based, It’s the final thing I can only do on a laptop.

Michael J Sanders: Director of Photography

Reel/credits  www.mjsanders.co.uk   M:07976 269818   Linkline Diary: 020 8426 2200    twitter: @hackneydp
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#180) | Reply To Group | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Argun Tekant

I was considering the Gnarbox, but I needed more storage.

I use it to dump my cards at the end of the day. It has an SD card reader, but you can use any USB drive/adapter to read your media.

The best part for me is that I can use their iPad app to start the dumping of the cards and leave it running on its own. Don't have to babysit it, or block my use of the iPad keeping their app running.

It is slow, and the battery life is not as advertised (when is it ever?), but I just leave it running and go about my business, so it doesn't matter much.
Once the data is dumped, I can then use their app to access the files and share them with another app.

I am not exactly sure if Gnarbox lets you edit in place (while the videos/photos are on the box), but with this one, you need to download them to the iPad first to edit, so that's a downside.

If your needs are simpler and just need a dumping ground with a lot of storage, this one might save you carrying a laptop for it.

One feature I wish it had was to set it to upload the data to a cloud service on its own and do that overnight, but that feature needs the iPad connected and their app running.

Argun Tekant
Photographer
Bay Area, California

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 10:57 AM, Steve Oakley <steveo@...> wrote:
[...]

I understand from a DIT that the NEXTOs biggest weakness is that it is only ExFAT.  Apparently that's an issue...

Michael Sanders: Director of Photography.  London based but works globally.

reel/credits/kit: www.mjsanders.co.uk    m: +44 (0) 7976 269818

On 29 Nov 2017, at 19:57, Steve Oakley <steveo@...> wrote:

there are other dedicated card dumpers on the market FWIW but at much higher price.

Rick Gerard

I haven’t got one yet but this is on my list:

Don’t recall if it can make multiple backups simultaneously.

For in the field backups I use WD 4TB My Passport Wireless Pro Portable external Hard Drive - WiFi USB 3.0 - WDBSMT0040BBK-NESN and the companion IOS app. Just pop out an SD card, plug it in, push a button and throw it back in the camera bag.

Back at the Hotel i use a ToughTech Duo C - CRU with 2 SD 1 TB drives and Rain 0 to copy and backup the Passport Pro by plugging things into the laptop. The transfer is very fast, then I disconnect and pop in a 3rd hybrid drive and leave the drive powered on and it makes a 3rd copy that I can FedEx home so all my location backups are separate and secure.

I wish the Shogun Inferno that I use for a lot of field recording wold read and use Raid 0 formatted drives so I could just pop them out of the Shogun and drop them in the Tough Tech Duo C and make a duplicate without ever using a computer. That’s a nice advantage for a hardware Raid.

That’s may portable backup stuff for traveling light. I have a 5 drive hardware raid 10 device in the office that gives me 2 copies of everything I’m working on and an automatic backup if one of the drives fails. This also does not depend on being connected to a computer to make backups. The one I have is a little out dated. I’m looking at LaCie 5big Thunderbolt 2 20TB 5-Bay RAID External Hard Drive to replace it sometime after the first of the year.

Rick Gerard
DP/VFX Supervisor
MovI Pro / Licensed Commercial Pilot Fixed Wing and UAV
Northern CA

Alex Metcalfe DoP

I use a netbook on windows 8 solely for back up. It is reasonably quick and windows 8 can do both mac and PC formatted drives if you download a free app. It's small, cheap and has no other data on it so not a disaster if it's lost, broken or stolen. I keep it offline so that it stays constant. Works for me.

Alex Metcalfe

DoP
alexmetcalfedop.co.uk

--
Alex Metcalfe DoP
00 44 (0) 7785 557611

Billy McCreary

I thought the same thing. When it first came out they only offered a 128GB version. Now the 256GB version is out and while that still doesn’t seem like much space I would only use it in a pinch. Most likely I would use it to pass through footage onto another larger drive. What's nice is the amount of different file types you can view through it.

But maybe I’ll keep holding out for a version that is strictly for dumped and checking. I don’t care about editing on my iPad and based on Steve’s post not many other’s do.

Hopefully they’ll come around. Or maybe we can start a request list and send it to them.

bMac
DP | EDIT | VFX | TAMPA

On Nov 29, 2017, at 3:02 PM, Argun Tekant <atekant@...> wrote:

I was considering the Gnarbox, but I needed more storage.

Ulf Soderqvist

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 12:53 PM, Michael Sanders <glowstars@...> wrote:
I understand from a DIT that the NEXTOs biggest weakness is that it is only ExFAT.  Apparently that's an issue...

Michael Sanders: Director of Photography.  London based but works globally.

reel/credits/kit: www.mjsanders.co.uk    m: +44 (0) 7976 269818

On 29 Nov 2017, at 19:57, Steve Oakley <steveo@...> wrote:

there are other dedicated card dumpers on the market FWIW but at much higher price.

Steve Oakley

regarding the gnarbox box - I don’t use the internal storage. I use either a USB3 SSD or USB3 spinning drive. looks like this

cFAST USB3 reader -> gnarbox ->USB external storage

or

SD card reader in gnarbox->USB external storage

so really the internal storage is irrelevant for the most part. I picked up a 500gb USB3 SSD which is enough for a day of shooting most of the time in 4Kp24 and is super fast. when I need more space a 2TB portable 2.5” spinning drive works.

as for bugging them please email, the boss / CEO at will@...

if I had to ask for anything it would be for having mode to make 2X copies and a dumb simple UI dedicated to card copying. oh… and I dearly wish they had put a 16X2 LCD panel on the unit instead of the stupid LSD blinky LED’s.

On Nov 29, 2017, at 2:29 PM, Billy McCreary <bmacmail@...> wrote:

I thought the same thing. When it first came out they only offered a 128GB version. Now the 256GB version is out and while that still doesn’t seem like much space I would only use it in a pinch. Most likely I would use it to pass through footage onto another larger drive. What's nice is the amount of different file types you can view through it.

But maybe I’ll keep holding out for a version that is strictly for dumped and checking. I don’t care about editing on my iPad and based on Steve’s post not many other’s do.

Hopefully they’ll come around. Or maybe we can start a request list and send it to them.

bMac
DP | EDIT | VFX | TAMPA

On Nov 29, 2017, at 3:02 PM, Argun Tekant <atekant@...> wrote:

I was considering the Gnarbox, but I needed more storage.

James Peterson

I love my nexto NSB 25. It’s fast, works with all media, provides checksum.  I have a battery adapter to run on goldmount, 90 watt battery lasts over 5 hours with an rugged drive attached.

It dumps to (2) internal SSD drives and can sync or dump to an addional 3rd external drive such as a rugged.

I currently have (2) 4TB drives and can go a week of shooting multiple Arri cams at 1080.

No laptop or iPad needed.

You can’t label the folders yet but having a paper log next to it for the shoot then having post add the folder names when they receive the footage is a workflow that works.

Keeps my ACs and DITs rested and that makes for a better shoot day!

James Peterson NYDP +1.212.390.0713 james@...