Topics

John Carpenter's "The Thing" 70mm blow up question

zefred

Hey everyone !

Happy Holidays !

I watched a 70mm screening of The Thing last night, and a few questions popped.

Apparently there were very few 70mm prints made, and, apart from the fact that most of the cyan and yellow layers had completely faded away, leaving a magenta tint on most of the film, which is a bit annoying for a film that's supposed to look "cold", the level of detail and grain was what could be expected from a prestige 70mm blowup.

Now, I noticed a few shots where the focus was good on the subject in the frame, but HUGE optical flaws (diffraction like) could be clearly seen everywhere else on the frame, that I dont remember seeing on the original print years ago, or the DVD edition. Where could that come from ? Were the shots done like this and my memory is failing me, or can someone here who maybe worked on the 70mm blowup remember and explain please ?

Cheers and Happy Holidays to you all !

Zefred
----------
(647) 866-8055
Steadicam, Wheels and Camera Operator

==============================

On Dec 29, 2017, at 7:43 AM, Francesco Scazzosi <francescoscazzosi@...> wrote:

Dear Bryan .
I have a company that can provide services for on-set digital imaging  workflows .
Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need DIT / data manger / digital colorist etc.

Ty
Francesco

On Thu, 28 Dec 2017 at 11:13, <bryankoss@...> wrote:

Ciao,

There is a 3 day shoot in Northern Italy in the beginning of January.

Looking for camera, grip, electric CREW.

Sorry it's vague I'm slowly getting the information as it's fed to me.

Please send me your contact information if you are available and I can put you in touch with producer in regards to the details.

BRYANKOSS@...

Cheers,

Bryan

Bryan Koss