News4DC Covers ANC Reps' Offensive Gesture to Businesses Opposed to Conn Ave Bike Lanes

Mark Rosenman

I thought Cleveland Park Listserv readers following the discussion might like to know that NBC Washington (WRC-TV News4DC) covered this story on its 11PM broadcast last night (11/22) and will likely repeat it today.  You can see it here.

It’s also currently on their website, entitled “Business Owners Respond to ANC Commissioner's Photo Making Offensive Gesture Against Bike Lane Opponents.”

Mark Rosenman

Rob W

The Brother vacuum store featured in the News4DC bike lane report [original message posted on November 23, prior to the CP Listserv's Thanksgiving pause on posting on contentious subjects] is exactly the kind of business that we in CP should be proud to have in the neighborhood; and likely one of the kinds of businesses that the newly elected ANC members would like to replace with some sterile cookie cutter bar or restaurant.

In the decades that we have lived in Cleveland Park, the Brother store has always been one of the most pleasant places to do business on the CP commercial strip. They have repaired our vacuums, sold us new vacuums, supplied us with vacuum accessories, etc.

When our grandson was about 3 or 4, he was obsessed with vacuum cleaners [I don’t know how to explain that obsession!]. We used to take him to the Brother store where the owner and manager would give him the run of the store—letting him try out all the different types of vacuum cleaners. If I recall correctly, the Brother store even hosted birthday parties for some of the young kids in the area.

And, as one can easily surmise from the News4DC report, the Brother folks are among the nicest, most accommodating business people in CP. Their concerns should be taken seriously and they should not, as depicted in the News4DC report, have to feel that our ANC commissioners are not supportive of their businesses.

As an “old”, I think it would be a shame to have these kinds of charming businesses driven out of the neighborhood by the actions of our new ANC commissioners elect; and it is, of course, distressing to see these businesses mocked as they were in the ANC Tweet.

Jerry Akman
Macomb Street

-- Message # https://groups.io/g/clevelandpark/message/195091 -
I thought Cleveland Park Listserv readers following the discussion might like to know that NBC Washington (WRC-TV News4DC) covered this story on its 11PM broadcast last night (11/22) and will likely repeat it today. You can see it here.
It’s also currently on their website, entitled “Business Owners Respond to ANC Commissioner's Photo Making Offensive Gesture Against Bike Lane Opponents.”
https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/business-owners-respond-to-anc-commissioners-photo-making-offensive-gesture-against-bike-lane-opponents/3216166/?_osource=db_npd_nbc_wrc_eml_shr

Christopher Backley

No offense to the vacuum store, but I’d trade it in a heartbeat for a good restaurant or decent bar. Or a coffeeshop!

-Chris

- from previous message -
[...]
And, as one can easily surmise from the News4DC report, the Brother folks are among the nicest, most accommodating business people in CP. Their concerns should be taken seriously and they should not, as depicted in the News4DC report, have to feel that our ANC commissioners are not supportive of their businesses. [snip]

missanthropic38@...

Don’t mess with the vacuum store! Those guys are awesome! And they fix lamps!

Elisabeth/Ordway

[...]

waspwaist69

I have only a good impression of the Brother vacuum store too. But I learned only from the TV report which business displayed the sign in the photo that’s caused such consternation, and I pass by there very often. That an anti-bicycle poster on this listserv vowed to find out what business it is and patronize it whatever it sells indicates that I’m not the only one. The individuals pictured were retorting re a publicly displayed statement opposing bicycle lanes, not singling out any business (much less any individual) by name.

Jay
Porter Street

carolynlong@...

A previous poster wrote: “No offense to the vacuum store, but I’d trade it in a heartbeat for a good restaurant or decent bar. Or a coffeeshop!” Restaurants and bars and coffee shops are wonderful, but every neighborhood needs some businesses that cater to the practical needs of local people—like the Brother vacuum store. We have to drive over there from Tenleytown to buy vacuum bags—if such a store were in our neighborhood, we could walk. A long time ago, we had General Electronics—we bought our kitchen stove there—then the space became Starbucks, and now it’s vacant. We bought our refrigerator at the Sears Appliance Store which is now the WaWa. Thank goodness we can still walk to Ace hardware, Target, and CVS for our household needs.

Carolyn Long
Alton Place

----------------
The referenced message is Message

Karen Davis

Wow! We have restaurants and are gaining coffee shops. The Brothers store also sells dishwashers, other appliances. How can we pass up having both — useful variety?

Karen Davis
Connecticut Ave

No offense to the vacuum store, but I’d trade it in a heartbeat for a good restaurant or decent bar. Or a coffeeshop!

Mary Cooper

The vacuum store is extremely useful and I am grateful for their presence several times a year. Anyone who uses a vacuum cleaner or sewing machine has reason to be glad they are there and so capable. I can make my own meals but I can’t fix my vacuum cleaner.

Mary

Wow! We have restaurants and are gaining coffee shops. The Brothers store also sells dishwashers, other appliances. How can we pass up having both — useful variety?

No offense to the vacuum store, but I’d trade it in a heartbeat for a good restaurant or decent bar. Or a coffeeshop!

Susana Raab

I was refraining from chiming in, but not one person has yet brought up this great benefit of the wonderful Brothers Sew & Vac store: You can rent steam cleaners there to clean your carpets yourself and avoid expensive carpet cleaning services or shipping your rug out.

The OP's comment to the effect that they would rather have another bar or restaurant than a vacuum cleaner shop feels to me myopic and self-centered. We need more diversity in our businesses in CP and by that I do not mean another tanning or nail salon, cookies and milk shop (SMH but wish them well), and the like. Look at the macro AND the micro: We need businesses that service the diverse needs of our customers, and few in that strip do that so ably as the Brothers store. They own their building, which is part of the reason they have been able to stay there so long, and I think we should encourage those who own their own buildings to stay on the strip versus sell out because we know what happens then: the vicious cycle of corporations raising rents so we can only have conglomerate type restaurants afford to occupy spaces and spaces remain empty for months/years. Owner occupancy is the ideal, should be encouraged and promoted in small businesses. It is better for the community, an entity which we should all try and consider more often before writing off people and businesses (myself included of course).

The Brothers owner has offered to teach me on his own time how to use the buttonhole attachment on my 1940's era sewing machine; their longtime employee Mohammed has fixed more than one lamp and fan for me in a timely and convenient fashion (especially after Artisan Lamps decamped to the suburbs for the reason I cited above about owner occupancy); and I have saved literally THOUSANDS of dollars (sporting dogs, I love them but they are muddy) by renting their steam cleaners rather than shipping out to Manoukian Brothers, not to mention the convenience of picking up the spare vacuum cleaner bag, sewing needle, or machine belt or oil there.

I understand that these singular features won't appeal to everyone, perhaps people aren't so crafty or clean anymore. I dunno, but I think most rational souls can acknowledge that these are indeed valuable community services, and worthy of support. We are privileged to have a choice of restaurants in CP, some good, some I might stay home for, but there is only one Brother's Sew & Vac on the strip.

So go out and rent some steam cleaners before the holidays! If you rent Friday afternoon, they let you keep it for the weekend, you will be simultaneously appalled and amazed by how much dirt comes out. (This post is not sponsored). And while we are at it, let's push our ANCs to work on legislation that will be small business friendly in the area of  R/E financing so we have more owner occupants able to afford to purchase the buildings they will work out of, it is better for them to be a sustainable business, and better for the fabric of our community.

Susana
Connecticut Ave
---------------
The referenced message is Message

The vacuum store is extremely useful and I am grateful for their presence several times a year. Anyone who uses a vacuum cleaner or sewing machine has reason to be glad they are there and so capable. I can make my own meals but I can’t fix my vacuum cleaner.

Mills, Sandy

AMEN!  Thank you for your acknowledgment of the priceless importance of Brothers Sew & Vac!

Sandy

--------
The referenced message is Message

The vacuum store is extremely useful and I am grateful for their presence several times a year. Anyone who uses a vacuum cleaner or sewing machine has reason to be glad they are there and so capable. I can make my own meals but I can’t fix my vacuum cleaner.

amandavirginiahyatt

Hi Jay,

I think it’s great that you have a favorable impression of the vacuum store. Many stores like it basically go unseen until one needs what’s provided there and patronizes the shop, hopefully again later as a repeat customer. Undoubtedly this cycle has happened over and over through the decades that this store has been in business.

It’s really hard to know what the heck was in the minds of those who gave the finger to a sign posted in the store, photographed it and then posted (and reposted) it. But there are dozens of “Save Connecticut Ave” and “No Bike Lanes” signs occupying the tree spaces up and down mainstreet. All, I assume, are fair game for rude gestures. It’s a wonder there aren’t more impromptu photo ops taken up and down the avenue! Rather strangely, discussions of the vacuum store in question have provided an unusual amount of online fodder, considering it is, as you correctly point out, an unassuming shop. I’ll just highlight a few from the accounts of ANC3C commissioners.

June 23rd - Commissioner Jason Fink [ANC 3C02] tweeted: “it’s all @Janell105Janell. She is the King of the save the lane advocacy. That is her legacy. We should rename that block with that silly vacuum repair store
#PaggettsPassage @PoPville @CPITC @CleParkMainStDC @ANC3C @Ward3Bikes.”

Commissioner Sauleh Siddiqui retweeted Commissioner Fink’s tweet.

November 1st - Commissioner-elect Tammy Gordon tweeted: “Neighborhood Powerball didn’t win this time. Guess we have to double down to win millions to be able to buy up CP Main Street to redesign it with great restaurants, coffee shops, yoga & Pilates studios…what else do we need that could go in an empty spot?”

Commissioner-elect Gawain Kripke responded to Tammy’s tweet with: “pétanque, ax-throwing, high-end boba, stationery store, life drawing, and a couple more vacuum repair shops.”

November 9th - Commissioner Janell Pagats tweeted her response to Commissioner-elect Hayden Gise’s "F the ops" post: “I’ll take a vacuum or sewing machine to the shop for repairs! @DcSafer can probably help too!”

Just yesterday ANC3C chair Beau Finley tweeted “the idea that the commissioners flicked off a business rather than an anti-bike lane sign is hilariously off and being pushed disingenuously by a couple of people. It is only slightly less disingenuous than the idea that ops is short for “old people.”

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. (George Orwell)

Amanda Hyatt Hodgdon
Macomb St

Steven

Well composed, Amanda! I don't understand these 'anti-vacs-ers' either.

Steven

[...]

Attachments:
image0.png: https://groups.io/g/clevelandpark/attachment/195230/0
image1.png: https://groups.io/g/clevelandpark/attachment/195230/1
image2.png: https://groups.io/g/clevelandpark/attachment/195230/2
image3.png: https://groups.io/g/clevelandpark/attachment/195230/3
image4.png: https://groups.io/g/clevelandpark/attachment/195230/4

Lee Sturtevant

I second the shout-out to Brothers. I also got there a small carpet sweeper(remember those??) which solve daily dog hair.

-Lee