Construction on Connecticut Avenue = Hazards for the Handicapped

Olivia Norman

Hi Neighbors!

I walked out of my building to be greeted with construction on the sidewalk and no clear way around as a blind pedestrian.

Luckily, the MPD happened to be right there and were able to assist, but if you see a blind girl and her guide dog around Connecticut and Ordway struggling to navigate, please stop and lend a hand if you can!

Thanks for your help!

I am so grateful to live in such a kind and caring community from neighbors to first responders!

Many thanks!

Olivia and guide dog Tofu

P.S:  Does anyone know what is going on and how long to expect the sidewalk being unusable?

Judy Kopff

Olivia:

Your concern about being a blind pedestrian encountering construction on the sidewalk of your condo building at 3446 Conn. Ave. with no clear way around for you is disturbing on so many levels.

Your ANC3C05 Commissioner, Sauleh Siddiqui, lives in your condominium building at the corner of Connecticut and Ordway, where I understand that he actually owns two separate units.

This issue (which you described in message  ) is a matter for Siddiqui to address immediately. Have you contacted him yet? His email is saulehforanc@... [saulehforanc @ gmail dot com].

I cannot fathom why Siddiqui allowed this travesty to occur.

Where are our ANC Commissioners when we need them?

Judy Kopff
JKOPFF @ AOL dot COM

James Linde

Wait until one has to cross the bike lanes where the bikes fly....

Jim

I walked out of my building to be greeted with construction on the sidewalk and no clear way around as a blind pedestrian.
Luckily, the MPD happened to be right there and were able to assist, but if you see a blind girl and her guide dog around Connecticut and Ordway struggling to navigate, please stop and lend a hand if you can!
Thanks for your help!
I am so grateful to live in such a kind and caring community from neighbors to first responders!
Many thanks!
Olivia and guide dog Tofu
P.S:  Does anyone know what is going on and how long to expect the sidewalk being unusable?

Olivia Norman

I had that exact same thought!

I am worried about the bike lanes for a multitude of reasons, and this is one of them

-Olivia

Wait until one has to cross the bike lanes where the bikes fly....

hal.ninek@verizon.net

Isn't the point here to get the problem solved?  Is it really necessary to attack the ANC Commissioner who is in charge of getting the problem solved, who may not even have known of the problem? The person who posted that lament obviously has his email. Would a better approach have been to reach out to him directly to ask him to help?

As for the bike lanes issue, isn't getting them off the sidewalks where (I guess) they must currently wreak havoc and into a bike lane where their presence can be expected a better solution? I heard plenty of complaints about them using the sidewalks.

Steve Seelig
-------
The referenced message is Message

Steven

I've lived on Conn Ave at the Klingle Bridge for the past 8 1/2 years and walk on the sidewalks almost every day to do errands in Cleveland Park. I very very rarely encounter a bicycle - they are on Conn Ave. For me, I've seen no sidewalk 'havoc-wreaking' whatsoever.

Steven

- from previous message -
[snip]
As for the bike lanes issue, isn't getting them off the sidewalks where (I guess) they must currently wreak havoc and into a bike lane where their presence can be expected a better solution? I heard plenty of complaints about them using the sidewalks.

Eleanor Oliver

When I am a pedestrian, I am pushing a rollator. On occasion a cyclist whips past me because I believe bikes are allowed on the sidewalks above Florida Avenue. The most terrifying thing that moves out there, however,  is some kind of motorized scooter! They are silent and they are fast. Unlike a cyclist, they are no taller than pedestrians and when they are on a sit-down type of electric scooter they are shorter so you cannot see them coming. They weave around  and between other pedestrians quite rapidly and scare the h•ll out me as they whiz past me.

If bike lanes ever do come to our major commuter routes, every type of two-wheeled contraption, electrified or manually operated should be relegated to those lanes. Give the sidewalks back to the pedestrians for whom they were created in the first place.

~Eleanor 🌸
Eleanor.qoe@....

I've lived on Conn Ave at the Klingle Bridge for the past 8 1/2 years and walk on the sidewalks almost every day to do errands in Cleveland Park. I very very rarely encounter a bicycle - they are on Conn Ave. For me, I've seen no sidewalk 'havoc-wreaking' whatsoever.

wgorlick

I wish to AGREE with the comments of Steve Seelig. I am disappointed that this listserv is being used to engage in a rather personal attack an ANC Commissioner, in this case Commissioner Siddiqui. Regardless of whether you may or may not agree with Com. Siddiqui on his view on bike lanes and other issues, it is the case that this Commissioner in particular has shown nothing but dedication to his job and given his best on a panoply of issues, not least, in Commissioner Siddiqui's role as ANC3C Transportation Committee Chair.

I also think the exchange shows a misunderstanding of the role of an ANC Commissioner, which is an unpaid, volunteer position that most Commissioners undertake on top of their day job. The idea that any one ANC Commissioner could, as one post stated "allow this travesty to happen" seems a bit misplaced. An ANC Commissioner can hopefully bring attention to neighborhood concerns such as the blocked sidewalk, but ultimately it is District officials who enter into service agreements with contractors and must step of in the event problems arise. Hopefully, each person who has a concern has already registered their complaint on the Mayor's 311 hotline system and gotten a ticket number so that they can follow up. Contacting the relevant District authorities would be more appropriate and productive, in my view, than engaging in a diatribe against any one ANC Commissioner and divulging information of a personal nature about that Commissioner on this listserv.

- Warren
------------
The referenced message is Message
------------
Editor's note: We do not permit personal attacks on the Cleveland Park Listserv. The message that attacked Sauleh Siddiqui was about a matter of public interest/concern. While it may have been incorrect for the original poster to suggest that as an ANC commissioner Sauleh Siddiqui bears responsibility for correcting the situation, it's a topic that's fair to discuss on the Listserv. Commissioner Siddiqui would certainly be welcome to explain to the original poster and to the general Listserv audience that it's unreasonable -- even ridiculous -- to blame him for every construction hazard that occurs within his SMD. As for the "information of a personal nature" -- I assume you are referring to the reference in the message to apartments he owns. If this information is in the public record, it's not personal information.

Janell Pagats

Hi all,

Commissioner Siddiqui, Chair Finley, and I addressed the situation brought up by Olivia. We immediately notified the project management team and larger leadership of DDOT of the issue via multiple channels. The project team stated that they would examine it. DDOT staff came out to visit the site and determined that a stop-work order was necessary. This should help ameliorate the unsafe conditions created by the contractor.

Here is a response to one of our intervention attempts -

Good day all, in response to information received regarding lack of safe accommodations and hazardous conditions for pedestrians, PSI Enforcement Officer Gibson has conducted a full site inspection, noted/addressed several concerns/violations and have notified the appropriate internal parties to ensure continued compliance.

  • A comprehensive inspection of the above reference location has several phases. DCKA-2017-T-0069 project states were are in Phase 4A: (4) – (5) week period. After reviewing the approved traffic control plan Capital Paving deviated from the approved plan establishing a closure at the 3400 Block of Connecticut Avenue NW.
  • Capital Paving has excavated a large portion of sidewalk from curb to the building restriction line. I spoke with William foreman for Capital Pavement informing him of the egregious behavior. There is no alternate route for pedestrians down one half of Connecticut Avenue NW adjacent to the metro. The remaining timeframe of construction is one month of completion. Capital Paving has created safety concerns in the public space causing tripping hazards for constituents utilizing the United States Postal Service.

In conjunction with the current Directives regarding safe Accommodations for the District of Columbia. Vision Zero Rulemaking Report, established March of 2017 discusses the risk factors associated with Dangerous Driving, Dangerous Bicycling as well as dangerous walking. The conditions observed by PSI supported a lack of safe accommodations for all categories listed. While a permit does provide authorization to work in the public space, there are other components necessary at times when the environments conditions change. The District Department of Transportation Cleveland Park Streetscape and Drainage Improvement Project also has an obligation to provide safe accommodations and uphold standards and specifications outlined in the agreement.

  • Reviewing the approved traffic control plan and observing the current conditions it is determined that the actions of the contractors did not represent true intentions to excavate the sidewalk directly in front of open facilities like the postal office.
  • Emergency no parking signs are active and posted for public awareness in the actual work zone. The contractor did obstruct pedestrian traffic without warning, void of appropriate personnel directing traffic (pedestrian or otherwise) with un-approved  MUTCD compliant devices and functions.

A stop work order 702162 which will be a long standing action incorporated with enforcement for issues of this nature regarding any work being performed in the public space within the District of Columbia. These circumstances will continue to be enforced by this office without prejudice citywide.  At this time I am requesting contractors to make the sidewalk safe and vacate immediately. I spoke with Tammy Sowell supervisor for USPS at 202-498-5624 whom received complaints from constituents regarding the smell of gas and sidewalk passage to enter the post office. Due Capital Paving activity the United States Post Office has closed their doors today.

Please let me know of any additional questions, comments or concerns you may have.

Respectfully,

MaShelia Gibson
PHMSA
Inspections & Enforcement Officer
Public Space Regulation Division
Public Space Inspections
District Department of Transportation
250 M. Street SE 3rd Floor
Washington, DC 20003

Commissioner Siddiqui, Chair Finley, and I are maintaining contact with the project team and the inspectors to ensure the safety of everyone in the area. Please - if you live in a multi-family building let us know the management email address to reach out to about future phases of the project as the team is committed to safe passage and informing residents of the plans. We need to all work together to ensure that the community is safe; if you see something, please call 311 immediately and contact us to make sure the issue is addressed.

Best and safe streets for all!

Janell Pagats
3C03@...
ANC3C03

Olivia Norman

Thanks to both of you for your work on this!

Olivia