Can very old rolls of film still be developed?

Donald Clarke

I have some very old rolls of film – literally decades – and am wondering if there is any possibility of them being still developable (the pictures have already been taken). They have been kept refrigerated for virtually the entire time, if that makes a difference. Are there any photography experts out there who can advise on whether this is hopeless or not? If not hopeless, any advice on who to go to?

Thanks,

Don Clarke
Woodley Place

Helen Qubain

Hi Don,

I am not an expert, but I developed a roll of film that was sitting in an old camera for years and the pictures came out fine. Why don't you try one roll and see what happens? It was great seeing the pictures of an old trip when I got the photos back.

Good luck,

Helen
Albemarle St.

I have some very old rolls of film – literally decades – and am wondering if there is any possibility of them being still developable (the pictures have already been taken). They have been kept refrigerated for virtually the entire time, if that makes a difference. Are there any photography experts out there who can advise on whether this is hopeless or not? If not hopeless, any advice on who to go to?

Terri Shaw

I would go to Dodge Chrome on MacArthur Boulevard.
https://shopdodgechrome.com/

Terri Shaw

I have some very old rolls of film – literally decades – and am wondering if there is any possibility of them being still developable (the pictures have already been taken). They have been kept refrigerated for virtually the entire time, if that makes a difference. Are there any photography experts out there who can advise on whether this is hopeless or not? If not hopeless, any advice on who to go to?

jsousa713

A few years ago I used this site https://thedarkroom.com to have some photos from the late 1970s developed. They upload the images to an online gallery with prints being optional. The quality of most of the images weren't great, but they're film developers, not miracle workers. If it's possible to get something usable, they should be able to do it.

Jason
Connecticut and Ordway