ISO help and advice regarding my RCN internet troubles / hard wiring the house

Helen Qubain

Hello,

I am at my wits end on how to resolve our internet troubles. For the last couple of months our internet has become unstable in the house. Our service provide RCN said we need to upgrade modems and buy more bandwidth. We did that only to have the problem worsen. Now I spend my days on the phone begging them to send a technician over who sometimes shows up and other times doesn't. Both the remote and in person technicians say the service should be working. I have had the technical Supervisor over twice to no avail.

1) Does anyone know how to request a technical escalation to the supervisor of the supervisor at RCN? No supervisor has taken ownership of the issue and calls me back. I spend hours on the phone getting transferred to a different person each time I call.

At this point, I am looking into hard wiring the house so I don't want to bother dropping RCN to switch to Verizon until the upgrade is done if we do it. I will definitely not continue using RCN.

2) Does anyone have advice / recommendations on hard wiring the house?

Thanks

Helen
hqubain @ gmail dot com

Gary Stockman

My strong advice is don't hard wire the house. We solved this problem with a set of mesh routers (Google Wifi, in our case, now called Nest Wifi).

One small mesh router on each floor of our brick house gives us high speed and reliable connection everywhere. Wirecutter has a guide to mesh router kits here:
The Best Wi-Fi Mesh-Networking Kits

Note that mesh routers are different than wifi network extenders or repeaters. While these devices can help you cover weak spots, they also degrade your network speeds. Mesh systems cost more but are worth it imo.

Gary

- from original message -
[snip] Does anyone have advice / recommendations on hard wiring the house?

Bruce Maliken

The issue, I have found with users having RCN wireless issues, if you reset your wireless extenders, it should resolve the wireless dropout issues.

Most of the people I have spoken to having this issue, all have extenders installed on their network.

Bruce Maliken

UPandRunningSvcs@...
(240) 475-4193
Web site: www.upandrunningcomputerservices.com

- from original message -
I am at my wit's end on how to resolve our internet troubles. For the last couple of months our internet has become unstable in the house. Our service provide RCN said we need to upgrade modems and buy more bandwidth. We did that only to have the problem worsen. Now I spend my days on the phone begging them to send a technician over who sometimes shows up and other times doesn't. Both the remote and in person technicians say the service should be working. I have had the technical Supervisor over twice to no avail.

1) Does anyone know how to request a technical escalation to the supervisor of the supervisor at RCN? No supervisor has taken ownership of the issue and calls me back. I spend hours on the phone getting transferred to a different person each time I call.

At this point, I am looking into hard wiring the house so I don't want to bother dropping RCN to switch to Verizon until the upgrade is done if we do it. I will definitely not continue using RCN. [snip]

Kari Gallagher <kari@...>

I agree with Gary, the mesh routers should solve your problem. Last year when all the kids were home from school we added a couple more mesh units so every floor had one. We literally had a different zoom going on each of the five floors of our tall brick townhome without fail; and our router is in the garage!

Good luck!

Kari