Help us Reduce Light Pollution and Protect Our Health, Privacy, and Environment #streetlights #privacy #environment

skamedia

The following is from a 2016 American Medical Association Study:

"The CCT associated with daylight light levels is equivalent to 6500K, and high pressure sodium lighting (the current standard) has a CCT of 2100K. Twenty-nine percent of the spectrum of 4000K LED lighting is emitted as blue light, which the human eye perceives as a harsh white color. Due to the point-source nature of LED lighting, studies have shown that this intense blue point source leads to discomfort and disability glare.14

More recently engineered LED lighting is now available at 3000K or lower. At 3000K, the human eye still perceives the light as “white,” but it is slightly warmer in tone, and has about 21% of its emission in the blue-appearing part of the spectrum. This emission is still very blue for the nighttime environment, but is a significant improvement over the 4000K lighting because it reduces discomfort and disability glare.”

K= Kelvin

The technology has improved significantly since 2016 and the city can do better than 2700 to 3000 Kelvin and 21% of its emission blue light even if we have to wait.

Sean Kennedy

--------------
The previous message is available at Message https://groups.io/g/clevelandpark/message/172133

skamedia

Where can we find the written testimony regarding streetlights?

I did look at the bid documents and they have a max color temperature range of 2700 to 3000 degrees kelvin. Our current street lights are 2400 degrees kelvin. That will be a noticeable difference of the bid documents are not modified and the project goes ahead as planned.

Thank you,

Sean Kennedy
---------
The previous message is available at Message https://groups.io/g/clevelandpark/message/172159 . An earlier related thread is available via Message https://groups.io/g/clevelandpark/message/172133

hal.ninek@verizon.net

Since these posts about the new contract keep coming up, and seem to be ignoring the technical requirements, I popped open the actual DDOT RFP to see whether the world was about to end if this contract moved forward. As I suspected, a lot of what has been claimed is simply not true, particularly the claims about light temperature, where neighborhood lights are to be in the warm and of the spectrum at 2700K. Let's stop claiming otherwise.

Steve Seelig

--------
The original message is available in full at Message

Carren Kaston

I completely agree with the post below.

"Color" is absolutely as important as brightness. A more mellow, livable "color" on the Kelvin scale can be just as "bright" -- give as much illumination -- as an LED light. But it's a lot easier on the eyes and healthier.

Carren Kaston

Hello,

What do we know about the color temperature of the proposed street lighting?
As many of you know, that is as important as brightness. The cheap bright white 5600° Kelvin lights are unacceptable. They should not proceed with replacing the street lights until the color temperature of LEDs matches that of traditional street light at 2600° Kelvin. LED technology continues to improve and if the product is not available that gives us the same lighting experience as we have now, they should wait till the technology catches up.
The new lights they put on Rock Creek Parkway south of Connecticut a few years ago are unacceptable due to their color temperature. Bright white light effects the health and sleep quality of both human beings and wildlife.
Thank you for bringing this meeting to our attention.

skamedia

[...]

------------
The original message is available in full at https://groups.io/g/clevelandpark/message/172039

Linnea Warren

Councilmembers Cheh and Henderson are making their recommendation to the Council this week? We’re supposed to have until April 9th to submit written comments on this issue.

I always wondered whether anyone ever paid any attention to written testimony. I guess not.

Linnea Warren

- from original message -

Hello,
The DC Council is currently considering approving a $350 Million procurement for replacing DC’s 75,000 streetlights with “SMART” Streetlights- LED lights plus Small Cell Wireless/5G ready devices.
On Friday, March 26, 2021 there was a hearing led by Mary Cheh on this project. Link below. There was testimony presented by the International Dark-Sky Association, the ACLU, the Sierra Club, City Wildlife, and Citizens’ Climate Lobby.  DC Council members Mary Cheh and Christina Henderson asked excellent questions. [snip]
Cheh and Henderson will be making their recommendations to the whole council this week. The council will vote next week.
We urge you to ask the City Council to send the LED lighting proposal back to DDOT for revision. Please send an email to cwogoman@...
Background on the proposed legislation:
https://lims.dccouncil.us/Legislation/PR24-0110
https://ddot.dc.gov/page/project-profile-dc-smart-street-lighting-0
Link to Friday's hearing with Mary Cheh: https://fb.watch/4wiVG0z57o/
Thank you for your help!  For more information call Jim Dougherty (IDA) (jimdougherty@aol) (202-488-1140), Wayne Savage (Sierra) (
waysav@...) (202-829-5829) or Marie-Louise Murville (CCL) mmurville@... 202-251-6760
---------
The original message is available in full at Message

murville@...

Hello,

The DC Council is currently considering approving a $350 Million procurement for replacing DC’s 75,000 streetlights with “SMART” Streetlights- LED lights plus Small Cell Wireless/5G ready devices.

On Friday, March 26, 2021 there was a hearing led by Mary Cheh on this project.  Link below.  There was testimony presented by the International Dark-Sky Association, the ACLU, the Sierra Club, City Wildlife, and Citizens’ Climate Lobby.  DC Council members Mary Cheh and Christina Henderson asked excellent questions.

There are many concerns about 1) the types of LED lights - too bright, not Dark Sky Compliant, etc., 2) lack of protections for individual civil liberties and privacy, and 3) the high costs, complexity, lack of transparency, and lack of accountability with the proposed Public Private Partnership/ P3

These are the International Dark-Sky Association (IDA) recommendations for D.C. streetlights:

1. Set light levels as close as possible to the standards prescribed by AASHTO or IES.
2. Use 2700-Kelvin LEDs throughout the District, with 2200- to 2400-Kelvin lights next to environmentally- sensitive areas such as parks and riverfronts.
3. Install only "full-cutoff" fixtures that reduce glare and eliminate wasted uplight.

Today, some areas of the district have over 7x the recommended light levels.

Please help us educate the Council on this important matter.

Cheh and Henderson will be making their recommendations to the whole council this week. The council will vote next week.

We urge you to ask the City Council to send the LED lighting proposal back to DDOT for revision.

Please send an email to cwogoman@...

Background on the proposed legislation:

https://lims.dccouncil.us/Legislation/PR24-0110

https://ddot.dc.gov/page/project-profile-dc-smart-street-lighting-0

Link to Friday's hearing with Mary Cheh:
https://fb.watch/4wiVG0z57o/

Thank you for your help!  For more information call Jim Dougherty (IDA) (jimdougherty@aol) (202-488-1140), Wayne Savage (Sierra) (
waysav@...) (202-829-5829) or Marie-Louise Murville (CCL) mmurville@... 202-251-6760

Marie-Louise