Metro budget proposes shutting down Cleveland Park station

Christopher Backley

All,

Metro’s budget proposal includes dramatically reducing service and shutting down 19 stations — including Cleveland Park! This would be devastating for everyone who needs the CP station, not to mention businesses in CP.

-Chris

Jennifer Duffy

As so many of us learned last Spring, closing the Cleveland Park Metro Station is more than just an inconvenience. It isolates our neighbors who depend on public transportation and hurts already struggling local businesses.

Of the stations in DC slated for closure, Cleveland Park is the only station in a residential area. Metro argues that Woodley Park and Van Ness are easily accessible to CP residents. For many CP residents, this is only true on a map. Walking a mile or so to one of these stations isn’t possible.

Apart from appealing to Councilmember Mary Cheh (https://www.marycheh.com/contact-us/), I am looking for suggestions on how the Cleveland Park community can appeal to Metro to remove the Cleveland Park Metro Station from the list of stations slated for closure.

All suggestions and offers of assistance are welcome and appreciated.

Jennifer

All, Metro’s budget proposal includes dramatically reducing service and shutting down 19 stations — including Cleveland Park! This would be devastating for everyone who needs the CP station, not to mention businesses in CP.

Sarah Brooks

I'd be interested to know what the actual usage of the CP metro station is these days. Most of us in CP have jobs that have allowed us to stay home. Ridership is down over all; probably more so in our neighborhood. And has been much discussed, if even only anecdotally, the demise of our local business we due to 'lack of parking,' lack of live music,' etc. None of that has anything to do with the subway station.

Just a thought.

Sarah on Macomb

As so many of us learned last Spring, closing the Cleveland Park Metro Station is more than just an inconvenience. It isolates our neighbors who depend on public transportation and hurts already struggling local businesses.
Of the stations in DC slated for closure, Cleveland Park is the only station in a residential area. Metro argues that Woodley Park and Van Ness are easily accessible to CP residents. For many CP residents, this is only true on a map. Walking a mile or so to one of these stations isn’t possible.
Apart from appealing to Councilmember Mary Cheh (https://www.marycheh.com/contact-us/), I am looking for suggestions on how the Cleveland Park community can appeal to Metro to remove the Cleveland Park Metro Station from the list of stations slated for closure.
All suggestions and offers of assistance are welcome and appreciated.-weekend-rail-closes-19-stations/

Karen Davis

Metro ridership is down everywhere, not just in CP. I've used Metro several times during the pandemic. I usually do that by walking down to Woodley and returning via the CP station. Every time the Woodley Park station has been just as empty as the CP station. And, I've also taken Metro to shop at the Van Ness Giant and the larger Target at Tenleytown. Those stations were pretty much as empty.

Karen Davis
Connecticut Ave.

Amber Sparks

I understand that the stations are empty now, but folks should remember that this decision could impact ALL of 2021. I expect that these stations will be full again by mid next year, with students heading to school, residents heading to work - and having no easily accessible public transportation will be a huge issue, economic as well as logistic.

Amber

Metro ridership is down everywhere, not just in CP. I've used Metro several times during the pandemic. I usually do that by walking down to Woodley and returning via the CP station. Every time the Woodley Park station has been just as empty as the CP station. And, I've also taken Metro to shop at the Van Ness Giant and the larger Target at Tenleytown. Those stations were pretty much as empty.

Christopher Backley

What’s unclear to me is how long the CP station would be closed. It seems like it would be at least until the end of FY 2022, which means June 30 of that year. A permanent closure would be truly awful. But even a temporary closure through June 30, 2022, would be extremely disruptive for everyone who would depend upon the CP station to go back to work once the world approaches “normal” again. Especially if bus routes are also severely cut.

Clearly businesses across DC are suffering, and all Metro stations are far less crowded than normal. But this is the *Cleveland Park* listserv, so I think it’s reasonable that members would have a special interest in a thriving retail sector in Cleveland Park. And what’s more likely to help CP businesses recover after the pandemic ends — having a Metro station open or NOT having a Metro station open?

-Chris

I understand that the stations are empty now, but folks should remember that this decision could impact ALL of 2021. I expect that these stations will be full again by mid next year, with students heading to school, residents heading to work - and having no easily accessible public transportation will be a huge issue, economic as well as logistic.

Karen Davis

Oh, I agree totally, Amber. My point was a response to indicate that I don't think anyone can assume/say that our station is less busy than either Woodley or Van Ness now, and it's definitely not during a real rush hour. Closing our station will encourage too many people to drive. A horrible idea.

Karen Davis
Connecticut Ave.

I understand that the stations are empty now, but folks should remember that this decision could impact ALL of 2021. I expect that these stations will be full again by mid next year, with students heading to school, residents heading to work - and having no easily accessible public transportation will be a huge issue, economic as well as logistic.

Juliette deSousa

It is not just about those of us who will resume commuting M-F to an office job when the pandemic is contained. What about the people who still need to commute to jobs during the pandemic? Or those who commute here to work at the businesses in Cleveland Park that are trying to remain open during the pandemic? And some people work on weekends. The adjustments appear very skewed towards the M-F traditional office worker. While that group may or may not be the majority of ridership, the effects of these changes may be a larger burden for some than others. I hope Cheh and others can be an advocate or voice for those affected.

Juliette
Conn Ave

Amber Sparks

Does anyone know if there’s a way to weigh in on this closure? I can’t imagine how much this would hurt local businesses and workers who rely on Metro, including plenty of essential workers.

-Amber