Metro budget proposes shutting down Cleveland Park station

Christopher Backley

All,

Metro’s budget proposal includes dramatically reducing service and shutting down 19 stations — including Cleveland Park! This would be devastating for everyone who needs the CP station, not to mention businesses in CP.

-Chris

Jennifer Duffy

As so many of us learned last Spring, closing the Cleveland Park Metro Station is more than just an inconvenience. It isolates our neighbors who depend on public transportation and hurts already struggling local businesses.  

Of the stations in DC slated for closure, Cleveland Park is the only station in a residential area. Metro argues that Woodley Park and Van Ness are easily accessible to CP residents. For many CP residents, this is only true on a map. Walking a mile or so to one of these stations isn’t possible.  

Apart from appealing to Councilmember Mary Cheh (https://www.marycheh.com/contact-us/), I am looking for suggestions on how the Cleveland Park community can appeal to Metro to remove the Cleveland Park Metro Station from the list of stations slated for closure. 

All suggestions and offers of assistance are welcome and appreciated.

Jennifer

- original message -
All, Metro’s budget proposal includes dramatically reducing service and shutting down 19 stations — including Cleveland Park! This would be devastating for everyone who needs the CP station, not to mention businesses in CP.

Sarah Brooks

I'd be interested to know what the actual usage of the CP metro station is these days. Most of us in CP have jobs that have allowed us to stay home. Ridership is down over all; probably more so in our neighborhood. And has been much discussed, if even only anecdotally, the demise of our local business we due to 'lack of parking,' lack of live music,' etc. None of that has anything to do with the subway station.

Just a thought.

Sarah on Macomb

- previous message -
As so many of us learned last Spring, closing the Cleveland Park Metro Station is more than just an inconvenience. It isolates our neighbors who depend on public transportation and hurts already struggling local businesses.  
Of the stations in DC slated for closure, Cleveland Park is the only station in a residential area. Metro argues that Woodley Park and Van Ness are easily accessible to CP residents. For many CP residents, this is only true on a map. Walking a mile or so to one of these stations isn’t possible.  
Apart from appealing to Councilmember Mary Cheh (https://www.marycheh.com/contact-us/), I am looking for suggestions on how the Cleveland Park community can appeal to Metro to remove the Cleveland Park Metro Station from the list of stations slated for closure. 
All suggestions and offers of assistance are welcome and appreciated.-weekend-rail-closes-19-stations/

Karen Davis

Metro ridership is down everywhere, not just in CP. I've used Metro several times during the pandemic. I usually do that by walking down to Woodley and returning via the CP station. Every time the Woodley Park station has been just as empty as the CP station. And, I've also taken Metro to shop at the Van Ness Giant and the larger Target at Tenleytown. Those stations were pretty much as empty.  

Karen Davis
Connecticut Ave.

Amber Sparks

I understand that the stations are empty now, but folks should remember that this decision could impact ALL of 2021. I expect that these stations will be full again by mid next year, with students heading to school, residents heading to work - and having no easily accessible public transportation will be a huge issue, economic as well as logistic. 

Amber

- previous message -
Metro ridership is down everywhere, not just in CP. I've used Metro several times during the pandemic. I usually do that by walking down to Woodley and returning via the CP station. Every time the Woodley Park station has been just as empty as the CP station. And, I've also taken Metro to shop at the Van Ness Giant and the larger Target at Tenleytown. Those stations were pretty much as empty.

Christopher Backley

What’s unclear to me is how long the CP station would be closed. It seems like it would be at least until the end of FY 2022, which means June 30 of that year. A permanent closure would be truly awful. But even a temporary closure through June 30, 2022, would be extremely disruptive for everyone who would depend upon the CP station to go back to work once the world approaches “normal” again. Especially if bus routes are also severely cut.

Clearly businesses across DC are suffering, and all Metro stations are far less crowded than normal. But this is the *Cleveland Park* listserv, so I think it’s reasonable that members would have a special interest in a thriving retail sector in Cleveland Park. And what’s more likely to help CP businesses recover after the pandemic ends — having a Metro station open or NOT having a Metro station open?

-Chris

- previous message -
I understand that the stations are empty now, but folks should remember that this decision could impact ALL of 2021. I expect that these stations will be full again by mid next year, with students heading to school, residents heading to work - and having no easily accessible public transportation will be a huge issue, economic as well as logistic.   

Karen Davis

Oh, I agree totally, Amber. My point was a response to indicate that I don't think anyone can assume/say that our station is less busy than either Woodley or Van Ness now, and it's definitely not during a real rush hour. Closing our station will encourage too many people to drive. A horrible idea. 

Karen Davis
Connecticut Ave.

- previous message -
I understand that the stations are empty now, but folks should remember that this decision could impact ALL of 2021. I expect that these stations will be full again by mid next year, with students heading to school, residents heading to work - and having no easily accessible public transportation will be a huge issue, economic as well as logistic. 

Juliette deSousa

It is not just about those of us who will resume commuting M-F to an office job when the pandemic is contained. What about the people who still need to commute to jobs during the pandemic? Or those who commute here to work at the businesses in Cleveland Park that are trying to remain open during the pandemic? And some people work on weekends. The adjustments appear very skewed towards the M-F traditional office worker. While that group may or may not be the majority of ridership, the effects of these changes may be a larger burden for some than others. I hope Cheh and others can be an advocate or voice for those affected. 

Juliette
Conn Ave

Amber Sparks

Does anyone know if there’s a way to weigh in on this closure? I can’t imagine how much this would hurt local businesses and workers who rely on Metro, including plenty of essential workers. 

-Amber

- original message - 
Metro’s budget proposal includes dramatically reducing service and shutting down 19 stations — including Cleveland Park! This would be devastating for everyone who needs the CP station, not to mention businesses in CP.  https://wtop.com/tracking-metro-24-7/2020/12/metros-proposed-budget-eliminates-weekend-rail-closes-19-stations/

allen irish

According to Metrorail Info, "This is a proposal that will be considered by the Board of Directors at its meeting on Friday and vote on Dec 10. If the Board approves the proposal, there will be a “Public Comment” period where you can voice your opinions. The comments from our customers will be considered before the Board makes its final decision in early Spring. Please sign up for MetroNews here: https://www.wmata.com/about/news/subscribe.cfm, you will receive our most updated information."

Allen

- previous message -

Does anyone know if there’s a way to weigh in on this closure? I can’t imagine how much this would hurt local businesses and workers who rely on Metro, including plenty of essential workers. 

jolenehernon@...

WMATA publishes ridership data; it shows that Cleveland Park is the least used Red Line station from Bethesda to Takoma.
Attached is a quick chart with the data from 2018-2020. 

Jolene

Carla

If WMATA is worried that Cleveland Park station will not have a high enough volume of riders, they can remedy that by changing the signs and map listings to Cleveland Park-Zoo. Then, during the spring breaks and hot summer months we won't see as many older people and families with strollers trudging uphill from the Woodley Park Station (with its multiple names). Visitors will soon learn to use Cleveland Park-Zoo to arrive and to choose on their return to walk on the level to Cleveland Park-Zoo or walk downhill to Woodley-Zoo et al.

Joe

Steve Rabinowitz

I know it’s been discussed (unfavorably) before, but perhaps it’s again time to (re)consider renaming the station Cleveland Park-Zoo, just as there are two GMU stops on the Orange Line (in Vienna/Fairfax and on Virginia Square in Arlington). We all know it’s equidistant to the Zoo, as is the Woodley Park Metro, only it’s downhill from here. It would surely boost our Metro ridership numbers and what a boon it would be to struggling merchants, who I suspect would happily split among themselves the modest cost of changing signage Metro requires of such a petitioned name change. What’s the downside? More people? More people bring the better stores, services, and restaurants nearly all of us say we want. We cry at each retail loss (I do, anyway), but imagine instead the neighborhood retail scene with no Metro. Yes, it would be more like the idyllic Cleveland Park of the 1950’s but seriously.. This has long seemed an easy decision to me.

Steve Rabinowitz
Ordway Street, near the Metro and all that new, would-be foot traffic

Bob Ward

Changing the name of the CP Metro to include the "Zoo" was explored by the CPBA, and I think everyone agrees it would advantage our commercial area for the reasons you state. The primary hurdle is funding. Station name changes happen, but they are paid for by the community requesting the change. Current candidates for name changes are Tysons Corner to Tysons, Prince George’s Plaza to Hyattsville Crossing. EACH costs $322,000 to execute. Here's the WMATA Board resolution that was just passed on these changes that gives more on the process, cost and decision making.

Community groups will be speaking out to protest the proposal to close the CP station as well as the service reduction which will have a devastating impact on essential workers, local businesses and induce a massive amount of car travel.

Realistically the best hope (and I cannot believe these are the words we are hanging our hope on) is for Congress to pass COVID relief that includes adequate support for transit systems that would include WMATA.  

You can see the FY2022 WMATA budget report here, agenda item #3. They need to close a $500b shortfall even after 61% of the operating budget of the system is being covered by subsidies. WMATA expects $1.95b in operating expenses and only $264m in revenue for FY2022 which starts in July.

Bob Ward

Mical

My humble opinion is that they chose CP station because they know that the affluent neighborhood will react like no other and will try to find a solution to the missing funds one way or another. Rich communities don't accept 'going without' public services they deserve due to their high taxes share. 

Mical

- previous message -
WMATA publishes ridership data; it shows that Cleveland Park is the least used Red Line station from Bethesda to Takoma.
[The attachment can be accessed at Message ]

James Linde

One thing Metro has at hand is actual ridership data. They know who gets in at what station and what station they get off at. Buses don’t provide that data other than a flat fare.,

Jim

- previous message -
My humble opinion is that they chose CP station because they know that the affluent neighborhood will react like no other and will try to find a solution to the missing funds one way or another. Rich communities don't accept 'going without' public services they deserve due to their high taxes share. 

- previous message -
[The attachment can be accessed at Message #166826  ]

James Linde

When you use your metro card the info is gathered showing where the card was used to enter and exit the system. It’s not all inclusive but it does show ridership use of a station.

Jim

------
Editor's note: If you go the WMATA's web portal for ridership date -- https://www.wmata.com/initiatives/ridership-portal/ - you can click on the link that explains how Metro collects the data -- or just go directly to this page:
https://www.wmata.com/initiatives/ridership-portal/upload/How-To-Use-Data-and-Technical-Notes-2020-07-17.pdf
The Metro data portal also has links to ridership by year, bus ridership, parking usage, and data collecting since the start of the pandemic.

- previous message -
[The attachment can be accessed at https://groups.io/g/clevelandpark/message/166826 ]

Karen Davis

Sooooo, is changing the CP station name to ClevelandPark-Zoo, the kind of project/effort and cost that the Main Streets project might be able to assist with? I mean, what kind of a Main Street will we be without Metro? Surely our businesses would get behind it. Surely residents would. Maybe Main Streets could fundraise for it?

Karen Davis
Connecticut Ave.

- previous message -
Changing the name of the CP Metro to include the "Zoo" was explored by the CPBA, and I think everyone agrees it would advantage our commercial area for the reasons you state. The primary hurdle is funding. Station name changes happen, but they are paid for by the community requesting the change. Current candidates for name changes are Tysons Corner to Tysons, Prince George’s Plaza to Hyattsville Crossing. EACH costs $322,000 to execute. Here's the WMATA Board resolution that was just passed on these changes that gives more on the process, cost and decision making.

Community groups will be speaking out to protest the proposal to close the CP station as well as the service reduction which will have a devastating impact on essential workers, local businesses and induce a massive amount of car travel.

Realistically the best hope (and I cannot believe these are the words we are hanging our hope on) is for Congress to pass COVID relief that includes adequate support for transit systems that would include WMATA.  

You can see the FY2022 WMATA budget report here, agenda item #3. They need to close a $500b shortfall even after 61% of the operating budget of the system is being covered by subsidies. WMATA expects $1.95b in operating expenses and only $264m in revenue for FY2022 which starts in July.

Carla

That sounds quite high just to add three letters. But even if accurate, Metro would get it back over time in increased ridership. Why wasn't cost a prohibitive factor when they added yet another name to the already crowded Woodley Park signs?

Joe

- previous message -
At one of the Cleveland Park Main Street events, one of the coordinators mentioned that changing the signage to Cleveland Park - Zoo would cost $250K or more.  I understand that cost is seen as too prohibitive, unfortunately.

- previous message -
Changing the name of the CP Metro to include the "Zoo" was explored by the CPBA, and I think everyone agrees it would advantage our commercial area for the reasons you state. The primary hurdle is funding. Station name changes happen, but they are paid for by the community requesting the change. Current candidates for name changes are Tysons Corner to Tysons, Prince George’s Plaza to Hyattsville Crossing. EACH costs $322,000 to execute. Here's the WMATA Board resolution that was just passed on these changes that gives more on the process, cost and decision making.

Community groups will be speaking out to protest the proposal to close the CP station as well as the service reduction which will have a devastating impact on essential workers, local businesses and induce a massive amount of car travel.

Realistically the best hope (and I cannot believe these are the words we are hanging our hope on) is for Congress to pass COVID relief that includes adequate support for transit systems that would include WMATA.  

Leila Afzal

The last time I was aware of the cost of changing a station name (many years ago) the cost was $100,000. Inflation may account for the increase of cost. The reason we were given is that the name isn't changed just on our station's signage. It has to be changed on every map in every train car. It has to be changed on every pole on the redline from Shady Grove to Wheaton and so on.

Leila Afzal
Cleveland Park

- previous message -
That sounds quite high just to add three letters. But even if accurate, Metro would get it back over time in increased ridership. Why wasn't cost a prohibitive factor when they added yet another name to the already crowded Woodley Park signs?

- previous message -
At one of the Cleveland Park Main Street events, one of the coordinators mentioned that changing the signage to Cleveland Park - Zoo would cost $250K or more.  I understand that cost is seen as too prohibitive, unfortunately.

- previous message -