Thanks to recent Red Line riders and to Peggy Robin for her story! (was: Riding the Red Line Non-Rush Hour - Experiences Wanted)

Kirsten Keppel

Thank you to everyone who has shared recent Red Line experiences! Train conductors and bus drivers must prioritize everyone's safety, including their own, while getting trains and buses from point A to point B safely. A June 22 press release on WMATA's site says face coverings are required, but this may not be the most recent information. Even if it is WMATA's policy, enforcing compliance could indeed be challenging:
wmata.com

I recently asked on this list serve about short-term car rentals that are not ride shares. I heard from one neighbor seeking the same, and got no replies. It seems there aren't many options available beyond Lyft, Uber or car leasing/purchase. If anyone knows of any, please share!

Speaking of getting from point A to point B, I also wrote to Peggy Robin this morning after reading her wonderful story. Her ordeal reminded me of the longest day of my life in 2012, when I drove from Van Ness to Burke, VA, where my car would not restart after being parked in a lot. Two kind men from AAA came and sold me a battery to get home. Once on the River Road exit, I saw steam coming from the front of my car, and the "Check Engine" light was on. The engine had flooded! (So always pay attention to that Check Engine light when it's on!) Fortunately, I was able to pull into a parking lot, where once again, AAA guys towed my car to the repair shop. When I asked how much it would be to repair, the service people told me the cost would be more than the Blue Book value of the car. And that's how I came to be a full-time WMATA commuter until March of this year! Thank you, Peggy, for describing what can happen and how a day can become a saga of getting from Point A to Point B. I'm saving that story because it's such a great vignette of how life in our area can be at times!

--
Kirsten Keppel