Using linens or other materials to make masks (was: Misc Linens to Donate)

web26 data

I've seen a movement afoot about folks sewing masks to donate, using sheets. I can't speak to the quality of protection but it bears investigating.

Deborah
Woodley Pl

---
Editor's note: Here's a report on research from Cambridge University on the relative effectiveness of various materials used in homemade masks:
https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/best-materials-make-diy-face-mask-virus/

Interestingly, both dish towels and cotton-blend T-shirts were a bit more effective in blocking germs than the anti-microbial pillow case. Double-layer masks were marginally more effective than single layer masks. The most effective material for a homemade mask was a vacuum cleaner bag -- but it was also rated more uncomfortable, with poorer breathability, compared to the double-layer masks made either of a cotton/blend T-shirt or the anti-microbial pillowcase -- which were still quite good at blocking viruses. (See: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2440799/)

Here are a few DIY instructional videos for homemade masks:
* Simple sewn double-layer cotton mask with pocket to insert filter material: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnVk12sFRkY
* Cotton mask lined with vacuum cleaner bag filtering material: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2ZO0tWs01w
* No-sew (glue-gun) mask using AC filters, activated charcoal sheets, and a maxi-pad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grRqoHxPjaY

There are hundreds of these videos on the internet, and you can choose the one that suits your own needs and crafting abilities. If making masks to donate, please find out if there are specific instructions you need to follow for masks that fit the recipient institution's needs! You don't want to waste your time or theirs!