Teach English to Immigrants and Refugees with the Washington English Center! #volunteeropportunity

Yaritza Abrego - The Washington English Center

Looking for ways to help immigrants and refugees? Join our community of over 350 volunteers! Volunteering with the Washington English Center (WEC) gives volunteers the opportunity to be exposed to new cultures, experiences, languages, attend free trainings, and to meet other like minded people in online and in-person volunteer socials throughout the term.

WEC is a non-profit, community-based organization that prepares volunteer teachers to provide high-quality educational services and life-skills programs to all adult immigrants in the Washington metropolitan area, regardless of ability to pay.

This January, we are continuing in-person ESOL classes at our location at 401 9th St NW c100, Washington, DC 20004 (in addition to our online offerings). We are looking for volunteers interested in tutoring online one-on-one and/or to teach ESOL group classes in-person and online. Please see our winter flier here: Winter 2022 Volunteer Opportunities

And a video about our programs here:
Fall 2021 at WEC

While our students come to class multiple times a week, we ask our volunteers to commit to only one day a week (1-2 hours) during each 11-week term. We provide teachers with a course syllabus and a textbook and use a unique co-teaching method to provide new volunteers with the support they need throughout the term. The WEC staff is also always here to support you with hands-on guidance. We have your back every step of the way!

The winter term begins January 18th (and runs through the week of March 31st). We require all volunteers to be fluent English speakers and at least 18 years old to participate. No teaching experience is necessary. WEC asks that all volunteers (new and returning) participate in our FREE online trainings prior to their first class. For anyone interested in teaching in-person, please note we require proof of vaccination(s) and masks in the building at all times for staff, students, and volunteers. To apply please do so here: Winter 2022 Volunteer Form

For more information about our programs please visit
www.washingtonenglish.org/volunteers/. We look forward to welcoming you to WEC!

Contact:
Yaritza Abrego, Volunteer Manager
Email: yabrego@... [yabrego @ washingtonenglish dot org]