Re: Zoo traffic

Margaret Lenzner

Cheryl makes a good point that the Zoo is in a residential area with virtually no adjacent street parking so visitors who bring families in cars park on neighborhood streets if they don’t want to pay for parking in the zoo. It reminded me that not long ago DC required the Cathedral to accommodate visitors, resulting in the Cathedral’s costly construction of underground parking. It would make sense for the Zoo to expand their parking facilities.

Margaret

I think the point that some are missing is that the zoo is an attraction situated in a residential area. Despite being an attraction, it has not provided adequate and affordable parking for those it attracts. Congestion along Connecticut Avenue during Zoo Lights has created dangerous situations. There has been much recent discussion about street plans and post-pandemic transport patterns. Anticipating the return of zoo-related transport issues that have not been adequately addressed does not equate to entitlement.