Dialing "202" for All Local Calls

Chuck Ludlam

Dear Listserv,

We are being told by our landline provider that we'll now have to dial "202" before all local calls to another 202 number. This is due to the fact that 202 is no longer going to be the only DC number -- 771 is being added. We should begin transitioning to 202 dialing on April 10 and must do so starting November 9.
Is this what everyone is hearing from their landline and cell providers?

To be clear, if there will now be two "DC" area codes, I can understand the new rule. Without "202," the phone companies won't know if we're 202 or 771.

Thanks.
Chuck Ludlam
Watson Place NW
Washington, D.C. 20016