Re: ISO Advice: replacement vs restoration of windows

Helen Qubain

Hi Amer,

Our home is from 1921 and the windows had not been maintained at all when we bought the house. I spent a lot of time trying to find a reasonably priced company / person to restore the windows. I ended up hiring Lawrence Oliva from Second Century Homes in Baltimore.

Tel 410-709-8322

The work was scheduled for a month after Covid lockdown in the spring and so it hasn't been done yet.  He finally was able to come for a day in December and only did half a window before we put a hold on things because of the cold until spring.

We are happy with the little work he's done so far. I would call him now so if you decide to hire him you get on his calendar for warmer weather. He is very busy and it is hard to get his attention but like working with him. He came to the house to look things over before giving a quote. Other window restore folks (including the Takoma Park brothers) won't come over to look at the house and windows. We did check three references for Lawrence and all gave high praise.

Good luck,

Helen
Albemarle and 36th