Volunteer group 3D printing medical gear to first responders needs help: PrintToProtect.Org #wellness #covid19

Jonah Docter-Loeb

Volunteer group donating medical gear to first responders needs help!

A few weeks ago I reached out to ask for volunteers with 3D printers, transparency sheets, and elastic to 3D print PPE for first responders. Being a highschooler, I am proud of what we've been able to build during this chaotic and frightening time.

Through your awesome community support, we've launched Print to Protect, a DC network of makers using their printers and expertise to produce and donate face shields, CPAP valves, and other essential medical gear to DC area healthcare professionals facing shortages.

Over the past three weeks we've organized nearly one hundred 3D printers, fifty drivers, and dozens of other volunteers along the way to help with resource gathering, fundraising, and assembly!

We've already donated more than 1,000 face shields to Unity Health Clinic, Medstar Washington Hospital Center, Inova Fairfax Hospital, United Medical Center, Holy Cross Hospital, and other health clinics throughout the DC area, with an additional 1,000 reusable shields likely to be donated over the next week.  And, when we received an urgent call from DC Fire for CPAP valve adapters, Print To Protect was able to provide more than 700 parts within 48 hours!

Because we provide all the PPE we print at zero cost for those in need, we are dependent on donors and volunteers to keep the printers printing and supplies in stock. Despite our rapid growth, demand has begun to out-pace what we can supply, and new requests are coming in every day.

If you find the time, please consider sharing this GoFundMe and Donation Registry with as many people as you are willing. If you’re not in a position to donate, each share does more good than you might think, leading to enough additional funding to make a few more face shields.

If you are interested in getting involved, we are looking for volunteers of all types: drivers, researchers, assemblers, and more (you can help at home too!). Check out PrintToProtect.org for more details.

If you have any contacts with media organizations, please email Emily Scarrow at outreach@... [outreach @ printtoprotect dot org]. Press coverage is the best gateway to fundraising. We made this press release for your convenience.

Thank you for your time, and please practice social distancing. We are not through the thick of it yet.

Best wishes,

Jonah Docter-Loeb (Idaho Ave.)
Senior at Georgetown Day School

PrintToProtect.org
Twitter
Instagram

A doctor associated with Unity Health Clinic in full PPE in a COVID-19 testing tent. She tested dozens of people, 4 of which came back positive. This week, we will be donating an additional 150 shields to Unity Health Clinic. When it comes to DC Health organizations doing phenomenal work, Unity Health Clinic is at the top of the list. Even before the pandemic, Unity was striving to promote healthier communities through compassion and comprehensive primary and specialty health care and wrap-around services, regardless of ability to pay. Now, they are continuing their great work through helping marginalized communities across the area impacted by COVID-19. To learn more about how you can help, please click here

Pictures of MedStar Washington Hospital Center health care workers with a few of the 200+ reusable face shields we provided them with. We are constantly looking for feedback from the institutions we work with to ensure we are providing them with the most effective, comfortable, and safe face shields.

Some of the CPAP valves we produced on short notice for DC Fire. While projects like these are not our main focus, we are constantly exploring models for other medical gear we can print and have a team of volunteers ready to work with hospitals on custom parts.

***Disclaimers: Print to Protect is NOT a non-profit organization. This is not a charitable contribution to a 501(c)(3). You will be gifting to an individual making and providing personal protective equipment for medical professionals fighting COVID-19 on the front lines. Print to Protect (PtP) is a group of 3D printers and volunteers across the DC area who are providing free personal protective equipment (PPE) for medical professionals fighting COVID-19 on the front lines. Our mission is to help protect those who protect us. All goods are gifted to the recipient “As Is” and PtP makes no claims, representations or warranties, whether expressed or implied as to the safety, reliability, durability, and performance of any item.***