Help Make Face Shields for First Responders (Access to 3D Printers Needed!) #coronavirus

Jonah Docter-Loeb

Hi all,

I hope you are having a good morning so far.

I am currently working with Med Supply Drive to begin the 3D printing of face shields for hospitals in need. We are currently looking for individuals with 3D printers at home, connections to institutions with 3D printers (High Schools, Colleges and Universities, DC Libraries, Maker Spaces, etc.), and other volunteers who would be willing to help assemble face shields.

Med Supply Drive is an organization recently founded by a group of third year medical students at Georgetown University with a mission to bring together a coalition of health professionals, researchers, lab workers, health science students, and US citizens to organize systems for mobilizing supplies and getting them to hospitals in dire need. They have connections to hospitals and clinics across the country who are going to be facing shortages of essential equipment in the coming weeks.

Face shields block out respiratory droplets from patients and are essential for first responders especially when N95 masks are in short supply. In the absence of a N95 mask, the combination of a face shield and a normal surgical mask is the next best option.

Italian 3D printer uLca posted the design on Thingiverse for anyone to download and print themselves. The print only takes a few hours and few grams of filament.

Please let me know if you would be willing to print a few of the face shields at home, donate filament, donate 3D printers full time to the cause, or assist in assembly.

We are also looking for anyone who would be willing to donate or sell any transparent film acetate sheets for overhead projectors as we need those during assembly.

Thanks for the help!

Have a great rest of your day,

If you are interested in reading more about similar projects, please check out some of the articles linked below:
https://bit.ly/2wwBwZr

Jonah D-L
Idaho Ave