yesterday's launch #LaunchReport

Jonathan Sivier

We had a pretty good day of flying on Saturday. While it was hot and humid, as it has been all week, it wasn't as bad as it had been earlier in the week. In fact, with a little breeze and some cloud cover it was almost pleasant out. ;-)

Around 15 people came out to fly during the course of the day. While not every flight was totally optimal, I don't think there were any major issues with any of the flights. As far as I can recall all flights landed safely in the park and were recovered.

It was our annual Nostalgia Launch, so we had some old rockets flown. My contribution was to fly my Estes Star Blazer, which was my first rocket back in 1968, on an Estes motor from the 1980's. Several other people flew some older rockets as well.

Our next launch is scheduled for Saturday, September 11. This is planned to be our annual Night Launch. So we will plan to stay a bit later than usual and fly a few rockets with lights on them as it gets dark. Let's hope for good weather.

Jonathan

Greg Smith

I’ve noticed in the last couple of years that, as a group, we’ve gotten much better at “flying the field” so that fewer and fewer rockets are landing outside the park or in difficult to access locations. We’re being more sensible about altitudes, angles and sizing the recovery systems properly for the flights we plan. And I’m sure using the Jolly Logic Chute Release on many of the larger and higher flying models has helped a lot as well. It’s still not unheard of for a rocket to fly away, but it’s much less common than it was a few years ago. Good work on everybody’s part.

- GDS

From: cia-rocketry@groups.io <cia-rocketry@groups.io> On Behalf Of Jonathan Sivier
Sent: Sunday, August 29, 2021 12:31 PM
To: CIA Email List <cia-rocketry@groups.io>
Subject: [cia-rocketry] yesterday's launch #LaunchReport

We had a pretty good day of flying on Saturday. While it was hot and humid, as it has been all week, it wasn't as bad as it had been earlier in the week. In fact, with a little breeze and some cloud cover it was almost pleasant out. ;-)

Around 15 people came out to fly during the course of the day. While not every flight was totally optimal, I don't think there were any major issues with any of the flights. As far as I can recall all flights landed safely in the park and were recovered.

It was our annual Nostalgia Launch, so we had some old rockets flown. My contribution was to fly my Estes Star Blazer, which was my first rocket back in 1968, on an Estes motor from the 1980's. Several other people flew some older rockets as well.

Our next launch is scheduled for Saturday, September 11. This is planned to be our annual Night Launch. So we will plan to stay a bit later than usual and fly a few rockets with lights on them as it gets dark. Let's hope for good weather.

Jonathan

Christopher Deem

Yes, we, as group are better at keeping them in the park. But, we still seem to spend a fair chunk of time repairing rockets.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 8/29/21 10:17 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: cia-rocketry@groups.io
Subject: Re: [cia-rocketry] yesterday's launch #LaunchReport

I’ve noticed in the last couple of years that, as a group, we’ve gotten much better at “flying the field” so that fewer and fewer rockets are landing outside the park or in difficult to access locations. We’re being more sensible about altitudes, angles and sizing the recovery systems properly for the flights we plan. And I’m sure using the Jolly Logic Chute Release on many of the larger and higher flying models has helped a lot as well. It’s still not unheard of for a rocket to fly away, but it’s much less common than it was a few years ago. Good work on everybody’s part.

- GDS

From: cia-rocketry@groups.io <cia-rocketry@groups.io> On Behalf Of Jonathan Sivier
Sent: Sunday, August 29, 2021 12:31 PM
To: CIA Email List <cia-rocketry@groups.io>
Subject: [cia-rocketry] yesterday's launch #LaunchReport

Jonathan

Greg Smith

Yeah, but “fixing” them is one of Jonathan’s four F’s of rocketry*. You can’t eliminate that without changing it into a different hobby. At least, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

- GDS

*Fabricate – Fly – Find - Fix

From: cia-rocketry@groups.io <cia-rocketry@groups.io> On Behalf Of Christopher Deem
Sent: Sunday, August 29, 2021 10:32 PM

Yes, we, as group are better at keeping them in the park. But, we still seem to spend a fair chunk of time repairing rockets.

- GDS

Christopher Deem

Actually, I came up with the four F's of rocketry, Jonathon added the fifth F for big projects, "Finance ". Which, if look at the price of N and O motors, could really set you back.

Date: 8/30/21 1:45 AM (GMT-06:00)

Yeah, but “fixing” them is one of Jonathan’s four F’s of rocketry*. You can’t eliminate that without changing it into a different hobby. At least, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

- GDS

From: cia-rocketry@groups.io <cia-rocketry@groups.io> On Behalf Of Christopher Deem
Sent: Sunday, August 29, 2021 10:32 PM

- GDS

Jonathan Sivier

We could also add a 6th F for Greg, "Finishing." ;-)

Jonathan

On 8/30/2021 3:00 PM, Christopher Deem wrote:
Actually, I came up with the four F's of rocketry, Jonathon added the fifth F for big projects, "Finance ". Which, if look at the price of N and O motors, could really set you back.

Date: 8/30/21 1:45 AM (GMT-06:00)

- GDS

*From:* cia-rocketry@groups.io <cia-rocketry@groups.io> *On Behalf Of *Christopher Deem
*Sent:* Sunday, August 29, 2021 10:32 PM
*To:* cia-rocketry@groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [cia-rocketry] yesterday's launch #LaunchReport

To: cia-rocketry@groups.io <mailto:cia-rocketry@groups.io>

- GDS

Adam Rouse

Hey all,

Pictures loaded to my SmugMug: 2021-08-28 Dodds Park - Adam Rouse (smugmug.com)

Cheers!

-Adam

Christopher Deem

Nice pictures. I always like how the flame on the big Redline motors looks like it was photoshopped.

Christopher Brian Deem NAR 12308 TRA 2256 level 2                                               Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Monday, August 30, 2021 3:50 PM

Hey all,

Pictures loaded to my SmugMug: 2021-08-28 Dodds Park - Adam Rouse (smugmug.com)

Cheers!

-Adam