Stowaway

Gary Slater

Has anyone watched this Netflix movie yet?
If you choose to do so, be prepared to stretch your imagination a bit far.

Its about a manned mission to Mars with a twist.

Robert Brunner

Is it a re-imagining of this movie? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stowaway_to_the_Moon

On Apr 30, 2021, at 2:09 PM, Gary Slater <gws77@...> wrote:

Has anyone watched this Netflix movie yet?
If you choose to do so, be prepared to stretch your imagination a bit far.

Its about a manned mission to Mars with a twist.

Gary Slater

Cant say. I havent seen that movie.

On Apr 30, 2021, at 2:16 PM, Gary Slater <gws77@...> wrote:

Cant say. I havent seen that movie.
I saw it several times, whenever it came on TV. When I was 12, I liked it a lot. I doubt I would find it very good today.

Shaun L. Bill

I watched it the other night.
As far as suspending belief, I've seen far worse.

Minor Spoiler Alert:

First off, redundancy redundancy redundancy redundancy. That's the hallmark of spaceflight. Ugh.

Second, EVAs w/o tethers just plain make me mad. No "MMU" and no tether are just plain sloppy. YOU are tethered. Everything you have is tethered.

Third, this can't be much of a spoiler due to the title, BUT...no one is keeping track of how many maintenance guys are in the vehicle? Really? ...and that close to launch?

SLB

On 04/30/2021 2:09 PM Gary Slater <gws77@...> wrote:

Has anyone watched this Netflix movie yet?
If you choose to do so, be prepared to stretch your imagination a bit far.

Its about a manned mission to Mars with a twist.

Wes Cravens

Ya, seen it.  Very far fetched.  But cute with some good old fashioned moral dilemma. A lot of these lower budget Netflix productions remind me of short stories for to film.  This one for sure.

On hindsight I did really appreciate the early warning that they were not reaching their acceleration targets during launch.  Says a lot about the sensitivity of their monitoring systems. 🙂

Wes

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 3:09 PM Shaun L. Bill <slbill@...> wrote:
I watched it the other night.
As far as suspending belief, I've seen far worse.

Minor Spoiler Alert:

First off, redundancy redundancy redundancy redundancy. That's the hallmark of spaceflight. Ugh.

Second, EVAs w/o tethers just plain make me mad. No "MMU" and no tether are just plain sloppy. YOU are tethered. Everything you have is tethered.

Third, this can't be much of a spoiler due to the title, BUT...no one is keeping track of how many maintenance guys are in the vehicle? Really? ...and that close to launch?

SLB

On 04/30/2021 2:09 PM Gary Slater <gws77@...> wrote:

Has anyone watched this Netflix movie yet?
If you choose to do so, be prepared to stretch your imagination a bit far.

Its about a manned mission to Mars with a twist.

Greg Smith

I read two mostly favorable reviews of the film (on CNN and another I can’t remember), and one distinctly negative one (in the News-Gazette).

The difference of opinion, of course, makes me want to see the movie all the more.

- GDS

Has anyone watched this Netflix movie yet?
If you choose to do so, be prepared to stretch your imagination a bit far.

Its about a manned mission to Mars with a twist.

Wes Cravens

If I had to put a mark on it, I’d say it’s worth the time.  But it’s scientifically a disaster.  The acting is college level stage acting.  The set design/CGI is far and away an order of magnitude above the rest of the production. But I don’t regret spending my time on it at all.

Choke it down and let us know what you think.

Wes