Topics

space exploration events on Tuesday

Jonathan Sivier

There are several events related to space exploration taking place this Tuesday, March 10 on the U of I campus. It seems like there is nothing happening for a long time and then suddenly several things all happen on the same day. Here are the events.

Noon:
How to Land on Mars. This talk was originally scheduled for a few months ago, but was cancelled due to illness. It is being held in the Bruce D. Nesbitt African American Cultural Center at the corner of Mathews & Nevada in Urbana. It runs from noon to 1 p.m. The talk is free and they say lunch is included. Sponsored by the Aerospace Engineering department. For more info see the page at
https://calendars.illinois.edu/detail/4338/33375689

3:45 pm:
Astronomy Colloquium - "The New Horizons Mission to Pluto and Beyond". In room 134 of the Astronomy Building, 1002 W. Green, Urbana. For more info see the page at
https://calendars.illinois.edu/detail/2607?eventId=33368186

5:00 pm:
Bill Weppner: Apollo at 50
Learn about Bill Weppner's experiences as a flight controller at NASA during
the Apollo Era. Light refreshments will be served. 1310 Digital Computer Lab, 1304 W Springfield Ave, Urbana, From 5-6:30 pm. Sponsored by the Aerospace Engineering department. I couldn't find a web page with details on this event, but you can find the listing at
https://eweek.illinois.edu/view/20200308 about 2/3 of the way down on the page.

I hope to attend these events. Everyone is welcome to join me for some or all of them.

Feast or famine! Unfortunately, I’ll be out of town Tuesday. Take notes to share with us later.

- GDS

[...]

The astronomy talk at 3:45 has been cancelled due to illness.  Hopefully, they win reschedule it.  The talk about landing on Mars was interesting and I still intend on going to the one at DCL at 5.

Jonathan

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020, 3:45 PM Jonathan Sivier <jsivier@...> wrote:
[...]

Bill Weppner's talk at DCL was excellent. Lots of personal observations of the behind-the-scenes activity during the Apollo flights.

Jonathan

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020, 3:45 PM Jonathan Sivier <jsivier@... <mailto:jsivier@...>> wrote:

[...]

Tim Dixon

Wanted to.go to this, but unfortunately working in Indy until late.