Topics

Save the date

Greg Smith

The Illinois Junior Academy of Sciences annual exposition (a.k.a. the "State Science Fair") will be held Saturday, May 9, 2009 at the U of I Assembly Hall.

I am the judging chair for the Aerospace Science category, and as usual, can use some help from the CIA community to judge the students' projects that morning. The activity begins with a judges meeting at 8:30 AM and usually wraps up about noon. We traditionally go out to lunch afterwards.

Previous experience with rockets, airplanes, parachutes, propellers and the like is helpful, but not necessary. The main requirements are an appreciation of the scientific method and a supportive attitude toward the kids, who are mostly 7th- and 8th-graders. There will be plenty of experienced people around who can help you learn the procedures -- and it's fun!

Get in touch with me if you are available to judge on the 9th. Since replies to this message go back to this list, please type in my e-mail address directly:

gregs@...

Thanks for your help!

GregS@... 217-840-1678

Bob Kaplow

Last year I judged for my daughters district science fair, and this year I did both district and regional at NIU. It was an interesting experience, and I'd consider driving down for this if we didn't have a club launch the same day.

Hopefully some of the better projects I saw  this year will make it to the state science fair. The two good rocket projects I saw at district were at the regional fair, but I didn't judge them again, and don't know if they will move on to state.

I can't emphasize the feedback portion enough. When Rachel did this the last 2 years, she got ZERO feedback as to why her project didn't move on from district to regional. This year they included a comment sheet from the judges that gets returned to the student. The smart ones will make changes to their report based on the feedback, so they will do better in the next round.

I have to say that Rachel's project 2 years ago was better than some of the ones I saw that did move on. Unfortunately, if one of the two judges doesn't understand the metrics they use, there is no way the kid can move on. I was paired with a judge like that last year. So in some ways it's just the luck of the draw.

BTW, any project I saw that involved rockets or related stuff, I gave them my card with the NIRA and FVR web sites on them. You might try similar, and since it's a much larger area, include NAR info in your handout. Maybe use the NAR tri-fold itself. And of course some TARC 2009 info.

Bob

[...]

gregs@illinois. edu

Thanks for your help!

GregS@illinois. edu 217-840-1678