Topics

Saturday launch

Greg Smith

Just an early heads up that the forecast looks like it MIGHT be favorable for our scheduled launch this Saturday (2/27). (The wind is still a bit iffy.) If it happens, we'll meet at noon at Dodds Park. It would sure be great to see everybody again, so put it on your calendars if possible.

greg@...  217-840-1678

Gary Slater

Now that I have moved to Mattoon, I see the dilemma others have always faced living an hour (or more) away from the field.  If I prepare to leave home early enough to get there and help set up but then the day is cancelled, I have wasted an hour loading my car with rockets and necessary accessories.  It's actually more than that, I have to unload everything too. If I wait to get the 11 am email stating a "go" for launching before loading up, I get there an hour late and don't get to help setting up the pads.  I enjoy doing that.  It gives me some sense of accomplishment, however mundane it is.  But it also lets me participate more rather than taking advantage of the rest of you who may be there freezing or sweating it out before even a single rocket leaves the pads.

In this regard, I may be speaking for everyone who lives "away" by asking our email notice to fly or not be moved to 10 am.  Will an hour earlier really make that big a difference in weather patterns/forecast, ie., wind speeds, rain, etc?

Input from everyone is helpful here, not just from me or others who must travel from distant areas like Mattoon, Decatur, Bloomington and/or beyond.

On 02/25/2021 9:20 AM Greg Smith <gregs@...> wrote:

Just an early heads up that the forecast looks like it MIGHT be favorable for our scheduled launch this Saturday (2/27). (The wind is still a bit iffy.) If it happens, we'll meet at noon at Dodds Park. It would sure be great to see everybody again, so put it on your calendars if possible.

greg@...  217-840-1678

Jeff Kajtsa

Hey. I've been on your email list a while, always looking for a launch. In response to this last email, I once came to Champaign for a launch (arrived 45 minutes early for set up time), found out it was cancelled (too much wind), then turned around to go home. I live over 2 hours away up north. I just accepted it for what it was. I wasn't angry, as I knew the risk, but was disappointed in the weather.
Jeff Kajtsa

On Thursday, February 25, 2021, 09:40:31 AM CST, Gary Slater <gws77@...> wrote:

[...]

I can try making the announcements at 10:00 for a while and we’ll see whether that results in any more false alarms. It will mean depending on the short term aviation forecasts a bit more. I’ll try this Saturday and we’ll see how it goes.

- GDS

[...]

I appreciate that offer Greg!  Thank you.

[...]

Shane Ramos

I’m in the same boat coming from MATTOON. Thanks.

On Feb 25, 2021, at 10:42 AM, Gary Slater <gws77@...> wrote:

[...]

Kevin A

Awesome, thanks Greg!  I concur as a Bloomingtonian that an extra hour would be beneficial.  Though I am yet to come out (and am not yet sure about being able to make it this weekend), I do intend on relatively heavy participation this year as I have several naked birds that need to earn their paint, including my Minie Magg that I want to certify L1 with.

On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 10:27 AM Greg Smith <gregs@...> wrote:

[...]

Lon Westfall

Hi Kevin,

FWIW, some of us are not too proud to fly and even certify “naked”.  Try it, you might like it.

Johnathan has a policy that his rockets must earn their paint.  I like it, since anyway,  you need to do maintenance on anything you fly a lot.

I’m glad the issue of launch decisions being made earlier has come up.   I too would enjoy and earlier launch decision.

Cheers,

Lon Westfall

[...]

Thanks Lon, no shame here!  My custom stickersshock decal cost half what the kit did.  She's gonna earn it!