Topics

Outlook for Saturday launch

Greg Smith
 

This one is *truly* marginal, folks.

It is supposed to rain -- pretty steadily, and
for a couple of days -- starting sometime on Saturday.

Thing is, the Weather Service (and you and I, the
taxpayers who pay for it and use the information)
can't quite pin down when the storms are going to start.

Until today, they were predicting that it would
begin raining late Saturday morning or early in
the afternoon, thereby putting a certain end to our launch plans.

Now, they've pushed back the expected arrival
time of the storm until the early evening on
Saturday, maybe about the time we would be
expecting to pack up. But there's still a 20% chance of rain in the afternoon.

The temperatures will be nice, around 70° F. And
the wind may be OK, predicted to be under 10 MPH
from the south (swinging from slightly SSE to
slightly SSW throughout the day). It will be
cloudy, although with a ceiling at 12,000 feet or so.

So (and really, sorry for the long message), this
launch is totally "up in the air" until we can
see the conditions and forecast early
tomorrow. Any one of the wind, rain or clouds
could turn against us, or it might actually be a
decent "calm before the storm" kind of day.

Call me around 11 AM Saturday at (217) 840-1678
for the final story, or watch this list for a
further go/no go announcement about that time.


Greg Smith N9LHI
NAR 15881 * TRA 1974
Director of Operations, Central Illinois Aerospace
GregS@... 217-840-1678