Outlook for Saturday #Launch

Greg Smith

We have a rocket launch scheduled tomorrow, Saturday, September 25, at Dodds Park in Champaign.

Setup will begin at 12:00 noon, probably in the north half of the soccer field parking lots. Our waiver allows flying up to 4,000' MSL (3,252' from ground level). The waiver expires at sunset at 6:45 PM. Weather permitting, we will stay later into the evening tomorrow for the second try at our annual night launch. Rockets flown after dark will need to conform with the 1500 gram liftoff / 125 gram propellant weight limits of unwaivered Class 1 model rockets.

There may be soccer matches in progress at the park which could delay our starting time.

It will be relatively cool tomorrow, but pleasant, with the possible exception of the wind:


Saturday - Sunny, with a high near 71. West northwest wind 6 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph. (NWS)

Sunshine. High 72F. Winds WNW at 10 to 15 mph. (TWC)


This is similar to the forecast two weeks ago when high gusts forced us to cancel the launch. I think our chances are a little better tomorrow, but we'll need to look closely at the wind speeds and forecast in the morning before deciding whether we can fly. As usual, I'll post the final decision about the launch here shortly after 10:00 AM tomorrow. You can also call me after that time at 217-840-1678 for an update.

Our next scheduled launch will be on Saturday, October 9 at the Rantoul Aviation Center.

We will be enforcing our physical distancing and masking requirements at tomorrow's launch.


Greg Smith N9LHI
NAR 15881 * TRA 1974
Director of Operations, Central Illinois Aerospace
greg@... 217-840-1678