Outlook for Saturday #Launch

Greg Smith

We have a rocket launch scheduled tomorrow, Saturday, May 8, at Dodds Park in Champaign.

Setup will begin at 12:00 noon, probably in the south part of the soccer field parking lots. Our waiver allows flying up to 4,000' MSL (3,252' from ground level). The waiver expires at sunset at 7:55 PM.

The forecast tells me I'm going to have a hard time making a decision tomorrow:


Saturday - A 30 percent chance of showers, mainly after 5pm. Increasing clouds, with a high near 61. Calm wind becoming south southeast 5 to 9 mph in the morning. (NWS)

Partly cloudy skies during the morning hours will give way to occasional showers in the afternoon. High 61F. Winds SE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 50%. (TWC)


An east or southeast wind makes setting up at Dodds Park very difficult. And it may rain just as we're reaching our stride in the late afternoon. I'll need to look closely at the conditions, radar and forecasts tomorrow morning to decide whether it makes sense to try and fly. As usual, I'll post the final decision about the launch here shortly after 10:00 AM tomorrow. You can also call me after that time at 217-840-1678 for an update. The weather Sunday will be much worse.

Our next scheduled launch will be Saturday, May 22 at Dodds Park.

We will be enforcing our physical distancing and masking requirements at tomorrow's launch.


Greg Smith N9LHI
NAR 15881 * TRA 1974
Director of Operations, Central Illinois Aerospace
greg@... 217-840-1678