Outlook for Saturday #Launch

Greg Smith

We have a rocket launch scheduled tomorrow, Saturday, April 24, at the Rantoul Aviation Center.

Setup will begin at 12:00 noon, probably on the east side of the airfield inside the perimeter fence. Our waiver allows flying up to 10,000' MSL (9,263' from ground level). The waiver expires at sunset at 7:40 PM.

The forecast is damp:


Saturday - Showers. High near 59. East southeast wind around 7 mph becoming north in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible. (NWS)

Overcast with rain showers at times. High around 60F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%. (TWC)


The rain will probably keep us from launching tomorrow. As usual, I'll check the conditions and post the final decision about the launch here shortly after 10:00 AM tomorrow. You can also call me after that time at 217-840-1678 for an update.

We are checking into trying again on Sunday (4/25), but don't know yet whether it will be possible. I'll post an update here when we have more information.

Our next scheduled launch will be Saturday, May 8 at Dodds Park in Champaign.

We will be enforcing our physical distancing and masking requirements at tomorrow's launch.


Greg Smith N9LHI
NAR 15881 * TRA 1974
Director of Operations, Central Illinois Aerospace
greg@... 217-840-1678