Topics

Outlook for Saturday #Launch


Greg Smith
 

We have a rocket launch scheduled tomorrow, Saturday, February 13, at Dodds Park in Champaign. This will be our first launch since October due to the recent loosening of state COVID-19 restrictions on large outdoor groups.

Setup will begin at 12:00 noon, probably in the north half of the soccer field parking lots. Our waiver allows flying motors through "H" class up to 4,000' MSL (about 3,250' from ground level). The waiver expires at sunset at 5:27 PM.

Unfortunately, the cold and windy weather continues. Here's the forecast from the NWS:

-----

Saturday - A 40 percent chance of snow, mainly before noon. Cloudy, with a high near 14. Wind chill values between -8 and zero. North northwest wind 11 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 18 mph.

-----

I think it is very unlikely we'll be able to fly. Our policy is not to go out if wind chills are below 0°F. As always, I'll try to stay optimistic and won't post the final decision about the launch here until shortly after 11:00 AM tomorrow. You can also call me after that time at 217-840-1678 for an update.

We will try again on Saturday, February 27 at Dodds Park. The good news is that the forecast for that week is much warmer, although it's way too early to guess what might happen on any particular day.

We will be enforcing our physical distancing and masking requirements at tomorrow's launch.

-----

Greg Smith N9LHI
NAR 15881 * TRA 1974
Director of Operations, Central Illinois Aerospace
greg@... 217-840-1678


Greg Montalvo
 

Greg,

What is the club's general policy for cold weather besides windchill below 0 degree?  Is there a general lower temperature limit?

Thanks,


Greg Montalvo
Macomb, IL



From: cia-rocketry@groups.io <cia-rocketry@groups.io> on behalf of Greg Smith <gregs@...>
Sent: Friday, February 12, 2021 7:33 PM
To: cia-rocketry@groups.io <cia-rocketry@groups.io>
Subject: [Special] [cia-rocketry] Outlook for Saturday #launch
 
We have a rocket launch scheduled tomorrow, Saturday, February 13, at Dodds Park in Champaign. This will be our first launch since October due to the recent loosening of state COVID-19 restrictions on large outdoor groups.

Setup will begin at 12:00 noon, probably in the north half of the soccer field parking lots. Our waiver allows flying motors through "H" class up to 4,000' MSL (about 3,250' from ground level). The waiver expires at sunset at 5:27 PM.

Unfortunately, the cold and windy weather continues. Here's the forecast from the NWS:

-----

Saturday - A 40 percent chance of snow, mainly before noon. Cloudy, with a high near 14. Wind chill values between -8 and zero. North northwest wind 11 to 13 mph, with gusts as high as 18 mph.

-----

I think it is very unlikely we'll be able to fly. Our policy is not to go out if wind chills are below 0°F. As always, I'll try to stay optimistic and won't post the final decision about the launch here until shortly after 11:00 AM tomorrow. You can also call me after that time at 217-840-1678 for an update.

We will try again on Saturday, February 27 at Dodds Park. The good news is that the forecast for that week is much warmer, although it's way too early to guess what might happen on any particular day.

We will be enforcing our physical distancing and masking requirements at tomorrow's launch.

-----

Greg Smith N9LHI
NAR 15881 * TRA 1974
Director of Operations, Central Illinois Aerospace
greg@... 217-840-1678


Greg Smith
 

We have no absolute temperature limit. We’ve been out on some pretty brutally cold days in the past. The 0°F wind chill rule is somewhat arbitrary based mainly on what is safe for humans standing around outside for a few hours. At our “special” January 1 launch each year, we’ve been known to ignore even that limit. My own thinking tends to be mostly about whether I would have more fun that day outdoors on a cold and windy field, or enjoying a hot chocolate inside my own warm house.  :-)

 

Two practical things to keep in mind are that black powder motors tend to be more prone to failure when they’re extremely cold, and plastic parachutes become stiff and less likely to open reliably. Both of these issues can be overcome if you plan your flights with the weather in mind.

 

- GDS

 

 

 

From: cia-rocketry@groups.io [mailto:cia-rocketry@groups.io] On Behalf Of Greg Montalvo
Sent: Saturday, February 13, 2021 1:24 PM
To: cia-rocketry@groups.io
Subject: Re: [cia-rocketry] Outlook for Saturday #launch

 

Greg,

 

What is the club's general policy for cold weather besides windchill below 0 degree?  Is there a general lower temperature limit?

 

Thanks,

 

 

Greg Montalvo

Macomb, IL


Greg Montalvo
 

Thanks for that clarification



From: cia-rocketry@groups.io <cia-rocketry@groups.io> on behalf of Greg Smith <gregs@...>
Sent: Saturday, February 13, 2021 2:37 PM
To: cia-rocketry@groups.io <cia-rocketry@groups.io>
Subject: [Special] Re: [cia-rocketry] Outlook for Saturday #launch
 

We have no absolute temperature limit. We’ve been out on some pretty brutally cold days in the past. The 0°F wind chill rule is somewhat arbitrary based mainly on what is safe for humans standing around outside for a few hours. At our “special” January 1 launch each year, we’ve been known to ignore even that limit. My own thinking tends to be mostly about whether I would have more fun that day outdoors on a cold and windy field, or enjoying a hot chocolate inside my own warm house.  :-)

 

Two practical things to keep in mind are that black powder motors tend to be more prone to failure when they’re extremely cold, and plastic parachutes become stiff and less likely to open reliably. Both of these issues can be overcome if you plan your flights with the weather in mind.

 

- GDS

 

 

 

From: cia-rocketry@groups.io [mailto:cia-rocketry@groups.io] On Behalf Of Greg Montalvo
Sent: Saturday, February 13, 2021 1:24 PM
To: cia-rocketry@groups.io
Subject: Re: [cia-rocketry] Outlook for Saturday #launch

 

Greg,

 

What is the club's general policy for cold weather besides windchill below 0 degree?  Is there a general lower temperature limit?

 

Thanks,

 

 

Greg Montalvo

Macomb, IL