May events for getting started with rockets

Jonathan Sivier

We are holding a couple of events in May intended for anyone interested in getting started with model rocketry. There will be in Introduction to Model Rocketry on May 4 and a build and fly workshop on May 8.

On Tuesday, May 4 at 7 p.m. we will be presenting an Introduction to Model Rocketry. This would normally be held at our monthly meeting at the Springer Center. However, since we aren't able to have in-person meetings yet we will be doing the introduction on Zoom. If you know someone who would be interested in learning about model rocketry let them know about this event. If they aren't on the email list let us know so we can get them the details on how to join the Zoom meeting.

Then on Saturday, May 8 from 9 to 11 a.m. we will be holding our annual "3, 2, 1 ... Blast Off" rocket building workshop at the Leonhard Center in Champaign. This is intended for kids ages 8 to 12. We'll be building rockets in the morning and then flying them at our launch at Dodds Park in the afternoon. Registration with the park district is required for this workshop. The fee covers the cost of a rocket kit and motors to fly it.

For more information check the park district web page at
https://champaignparks.com/programs/program-guide/enrichment/

Jonathan