Topics

Level 1 certification

Mike Maxwell

Good morning to everyone. I am thinking about attempting for a level one certification at the next launch on the 14th if all goes as planned. I have joined NAR and built my mega initiator. I wanted to check and see if it was a requirement to have my rocket painted?

Shane Ramos

No way! Let ‘er fly naked!! 

Keep in mind if you fly it naked , you will add significant weight after painting and may fly different. Keep track of weight before and after painting.

Can’t wait to see this one as I have it in mind for purchase also!

On Nov 4, 2020, at 8:08 AM, Mike Maxwell <mmaxwell525@...> wrote:

Good morning to everyone. I am thinking about attempting for a level one certification at the next launch on the 14th if all goes as planned. I have joined NAR and built my mega initiator. I wanted to check and see if it was a requirement to have my rocket painted?

Daniel Greuel

I find the chance of a lost rocket increases exponentially with the amount of effort I put into the paint job! 

On Nov 4, 2020, at 8:18 AM, Shane Ramos <shane.m.ramos@...> wrote:

Keep in mind if you fly it naked , you will add significant weight after painting and may fly different. Keep track of weight before and after painting.

Lon Westfall

Hi Mike,

Naked is fine.  Make the rocket earn its paint!

Good luck!
Lon Westfall

----- Original Message -----
To: cia-rocketry@groups.io
Sent: Wed, 04 Nov 2020 12:28:35 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [cia-rocketry] Level 1 certification

I find the chance of a lost rocket increases exponentially with the amount of effort I put into the paint job! 

Jonathan Sivier

As someone who is known to fly rockets unpainted I do feel I should warn you that when you are looking for your unpainted rocket out in a harvested cornfield every cornstalk looks like a rocket.

Jonathan

On 11/4/2020 3:38 PM, Lon Westfall wrote:
Hi Mike,

Good luck!
Lon Westfall

Christopher Deem

Fortunately, the Mega Initiator is 4 inches in diameter, bigger than the average corn stalk. Plus, the nose cone is black plastic. I don't plan one painting the nose cone on mine. I'll be happy to order one for anybody who wants one. Maybe we could do a mass launch sometime.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 11/4/20 4:09 PM (GMT-06:00)

As someone who is known to fly rockets unpainted I do feel I should warn you that when you are looking for your unpainted rocket out in a harvested cornfield every cornstalk looks like a rocket.

Jonathan

Hi Mike,

Good luck!
Lon Westfall

Greg Montalvo

Excellent point.  I'm not sure primer gray would be any better.  At least paint it primer white or fluorescent green or orange.

On Nov 4, 2020 4:09 PM, Jonathan Sivier <jsivier@...> wrote:

Jonathan

Hi Mike,

Good luck!
Lon Westfall

Mike Maxwell

Very good point! Maybe I’ll hit it with flat red paint. So I think all I have to do now is bring the high power certification application pre filled out on my portion and come up with a 38mm L1 motor and ejection delay tool. I’m seeing a big difference in projected altitude from apogee recommended motors and ThrustCurve. Is that normal? Chris do you have many single use 38mm motors I would be able to purchase for my cert? 

On Nov 4, 2020, at 4:21 PM, Greg Montalvo <gpm64@...> wrote:

Excellent point.  I'm not sure primer gray would be any better.  At least paint it primer white or fluorescent green or orange.

Jonathan

Hi Mike,

Good luck!
Lon Westfall

Christopher Deem

I have H100's and H219's. When they first came out with the DMS motors, AeroTech sent me a bunch of the delay tools, so, the first one's free.

Date: 11/4/20 5:00 PM (GMT-06:00)

Very good point! Maybe I’ll hit it with flat red paint. So I think all I have to do now is bring the high power certification application pre filled out on my portion and come up with a 38mm L1 motor and ejection delay tool. I’m seeing a big difference in projected altitude from apogee recommended motors and ThrustCurve. Is that normal? Chris do you have many single use 38mm motors I would be able to purchase for my cert? 

Jonathan

Hi Mike,

Good luck!
Lon Westfall

Wes Cravens

There's always a red primer. :-)

Wes

On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 5:12 PM Christopher Deem <chris-deem@...> wrote:
I have H100's and H219's. When they first came out with the DMS motors, AeroTech sent me a bunch of the delay tools, so, the first one's free.

Date: 11/4/20 5:00 PM (GMT-06:00)

Jonathan

Hi Mike,

Good luck!
Lon Westfall