Topics

Level 1 certification

Mike Maxwell

Good morning to everyone. I am thinking about attempting for a level one certification at the next launch on the 14th if all goes as planned. I have joined NAR and built my mega initiator. I wanted to check and see if it was a requirement to have my rocket painted?

Shane Ramos

No way! Let ‘er fly naked!!

Keep in mind if you fly it naked , you will add significant weight after painting and may fly different. Keep track of weight before and after painting.

Can’t wait to see this one as I have it in mind for purchase also!

On Nov 4, 2020, at 8:08 AM, Mike Maxwell <mmaxwell525@...> wrote:

Good morning to everyone. I am thinking about attempting for a level one certification at the next launch on the 14th if all goes as planned. I have joined NAR and built my mega initiator. I wanted to check and see if it was a requirement to have my rocket painted?

Daniel Greuel

I find the chance of a lost rocket increases exponentially with the amount of effort I put into the paint job!

On Nov 4, 2020, at 8:18 AM, Shane Ramos <shane.m.ramos@...> wrote:

No way! Let ‘er fly naked!!

Keep in mind if you fly it naked , you will add significant weight after painting and may fly different. Keep track of weight before and after painting.

Can’t wait to see this one as I have it in mind for purchase also!

On Nov 4, 2020, at 8:08 AM, Mike Maxwell <mmaxwell525@...> wrote:

Good morning to everyone. I am thinking about attempting for a level one certification at the next launch on the 14th if all goes as planned. I have joined NAR and built my mega initiator. I wanted to check and see if it was a requirement to have my rocket painted?

Lon Westfall

Hi Mike,

Naked is fine.  Make the rocket earn its paint!

Good luck!
Lon Westfall

I find the chance of a lost rocket increases exponentially with the amount of effort I put into the paint job!

On Nov 4, 2020, at 8:18 AM, Shane Ramos <shane.m.ramos@...> wrote:

No way! Let ‘er fly naked!!

Keep in mind if you fly it naked , you will add significant weight after painting and may fly different. Keep track of weight before and after painting.

Can’t wait to see this one as I have it in mind for purchase also!

On Nov 4, 2020, at 8:08 AM, Mike Maxwell <mmaxwell525@...> wrote:

Good morning to everyone. I am thinking about attempting for a level one certification at the next launch on the 14th if all goes as planned. I have joined NAR and built my mega initiator. I wanted to check and see if it was a requirement to have my rocket painted?

Jonathan Sivier

As someone who is known to fly rockets unpainted I do feel I should warn you that when you are looking for your unpainted rocket out in a harvested cornfield every cornstalk looks like a rocket.

Jonathan

On 11/4/2020 3:38 PM, Lon Westfall wrote:
[...]

Christopher Deem

Fortunately, the Mega Initiator is 4 inches in diameter, bigger than the average corn stalk. Plus, the nose cone is black plastic. I don't plan one painting the nose cone on mine. I'll be happy to order one for anybody who wants one. Maybe we could do a mass launch sometime.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

I find the chance of a lost rocket increases exponentially with the amount of effort I put into the paint job!

On Nov 4, 2020, at 8:18 AM, Shane Ramos <shane.m.ramos@...> wrote:

No way! Let ‘er fly naked!!

Keep in mind if you fly it naked , you will add significant weight after painting and may fly different. Keep track of weight before and after painting.

Can’t wait to see this one as I have it in mind for purchase also!

On Nov 4, 2020, at 8:08 AM, Mike Maxwell <mmaxwell525@...> wrote:

Good morning to everyone. I am thinking about attempting for a level one certification at the next launch on the 14th if all goes as planned. I have joined NAR and built my mega initiator. I wanted to check and see if it was a requirement to have my rocket painted?

Greg Montalvo

Excellent point.  I'm not sure primer gray would be any better.  At least paint it primer white or fluorescent green or orange.

On Nov 4, 2020 4:09 PM, Jonathan Sivier <jsivier@...> wrote:
[...]

Very good point! Maybe I’ll hit it with flat red paint. So I think all I have to do now is bring the high power certification application pre filled out on my portion and come up with a 38mm L1 motor and ejection delay tool. I’m seeing a big difference in projected altitude from apogee recommended motors and ThrustCurve. Is that normal? Chris do you have many single use 38mm motors I would be able to purchase for my cert?

On Nov 4, 2020, at 4:21 PM, Greg Montalvo <gpm64@...> wrote:

[...]

I have H100's and H219's. When they first came out with the DMS motors, AeroTech sent me a bunch of the delay tools, so, the first one's free.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

I find the chance of a lost rocket increases exponentially with the amount of effort I put into the paint job!

On Nov 4, 2020, at 8:18 AM, Shane Ramos <shane.m.ramos@...> wrote:

No way! Let ‘er fly naked!!

Keep in mind if you fly it naked , you will add significant weight after painting and may fly different. Keep track of weight before and after painting.

Can’t wait to see this one as I have it in mind for purchase also!

On Nov 4, 2020, at 8:08 AM, Mike Maxwell <mmaxwell525@...> wrote:

Good morning to everyone. I am thinking about attempting for a level one certification at the next launch on the 14th if all goes as planned. I have joined NAR and built my mega initiator. I wanted to check and see if it was a requirement to have my rocket painted?

Wes Cravens

There's always a red primer. :-)

Wes