Incoming Mail from NASA: A New Era of Spaceflight is Set to Begin

Gary Slater

I don't know if anyone gets these emails besides me.  The first story is very good news for the US Space program, courtesy of SpaceX.

---------- Original Message ----------
From: NASA <hq-newsletter@...>
To: gws77@...
Date: April 17, 2020 at 3:42 PM
Subject: Incoming Mail from NASA: A New Era of Spaceflight is Set to Begin

A New Era of Spaceflight is Set to Begin

On May 27, we will launch our first flight with astronauts to the International Space Station from U.S. soil in nearly 10 years. This mission is the first launch of American astronauts aboard an American rocket and spacecraft as part of our Commercial Crew Program.

NASA astronauts Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley will fly on SpaceX’s Crew Dragon spacecraft, lifting off on a Falcon 9 rocket from our Kennedy Space Center in Florida, for an extended stay at the space station for the Demo-2 mission.

This Week in Space

Exoplanet Discovery – A planet roughly the size of Earth has been found orbiting in its star's habitable zone, the area around a star where a rocky planet could support liquid water. Scientists discovered this planet when looking through old data from our Kepler Space Telescope.

Need a New Podcast? – We’ve got you covered. Join our scientists and engineers on an adventure each week in our new Curious Universe podcast. Plus, learn about origins of life on Earth and the search for life elsewhere in the latest season of our Gravity Assist podcast.

Welcome Home – After more than six months living and working aboard the International Space Station, NASA astronauts Andrew Morgan and Jessica Meir and cosmonaut Oleg Skripochka of the Russian space agency Roscosmos returned to Earth on Friday, April 17.

Our Living Planet – We're less than a week away from the 50th anniversary of Earth Day. Decorate your space with our 2020 Earth Day poster – incorporating real science data to illustrate how our planet’s interconnected systems are its beating heart.

30 Years of Exploration – Next week, our Hubble Space Telescope marks its 30th year in orbit. Follow Hubble’s journey from dream to reality in a new documentary about our “incredible discovery machine." Face the challenges, revel in the triumphs and witness the human spirit that's kept Hubble exploring for so long.

STEM Journeys – You have to have the grit to persevere. NASA astronaut Nick Hague and U.S. Air Force Major General Jeannie Leavitt answered students' questions on their own journeys, leadership experience and more. Listen in on a few pearls of wisdom they had to share.

People of NASA

Meet Jenny Mottar – Each year, NASA Science Art Director Jenny Mottar creates a beautiful poster for Earth Day. This year was no different as she combined art and science to create our 2020 Earth Day poster.

“Whether it's the 2017 Total Solar Eclipse, the Earth as the shore of the cosmic ocean, or discovering our roots in the depths of astrobiology, I attempt to illustrate our home, our place in the universe, from the unique vantage point of NASA.”

Image Spotlight

NASA astronaut Jessica Meir returned to Earth Friday, April 17, along with crewmates astronaut Andrew Morgan of NASA and Soyuz Commander Oleg Skripochka of Roscosmos. Meir spent 205 days in space, making 3,280 orbits of Earth. During her spaceflight, Meir conducted the first all-woman spacewalk with fellow NASA astronaut Christina Koch.

Image Credit: NASA/GCTC/Andrey Shelepin

Explore NASA
A Weekly Bit of Space in Your Inbox

NASA | 300 E Street SW, Washington, DC 20546