GARLO alternatives?

Gary Slater

With the uncertainty of the near future should we start thinking about the possibility of an alternative or two date for GARLO this year other than just a rain date?
Perhaps start with some time in July for instance or even just cancel it altogether?

Wes Cravens

I've been pondering this myself.  Given how our launches operate, I'm pretty sure that we could safely manage one even with 'social distancing' measures in place.  Not right now of course... but maybe in one of the later 'phases' of the reopening plan.  In my imagination I've figured that the worst trade off may be that only one person can be at the launch pads at a time.  So it might be slow going, but it could still work.  When it comes to launch prep areas, we're usually pretty well spread out with only sporadic visiting of each other 'in the pits'.  I'm not sure that I've been within 6' of anyone at a launch anyway. :-)

Now of course, having generic crowds, like we want for GARLO may still be an issue, but a GARLO launch could at least still happen even if the general public wasn't formally invited.

In any case, I would prefer rescheduling rather than cancelling (for now).

Wes

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 9:27 PM Gary Slater <gws77@...> wrote:
With the uncertainty of the near future should we start thinking about the possibility of an alternative or two date for GARLO this year other than just a rain date?
Perhaps start with some time in July for instance or even just cancel it altogether?

Greg Smith

I’m guessing our Central region will enter Phase 3 of the Illinois reopening plan on June 1, although this is not a sure thing yet. But under the Phase 3 guidelines, gatherings are still limited to 10 people or fewer. That would make it pretty hard to hold GARLO as scheduled, although it might permit some small club launches.

I’m kind of thinking early August might be the best time to reschedule, while the weather is still nice and during the traditional summer travel season before schools re-open (if they do). But it all depends on the virus and the governor.

- GDS

From: cia-rocketry@groups.io [mailto:cia-rocketry@groups.io] On Behalf Of Gary Slater
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2020 9:27 PM
To: cia-rocketry@groups.io
Subject: [cia-rocketry] GARLO alternatives?

Jonathan Sivier

I think Wes is correct. We MIGHT be able to pull off a launch under the Phase 3 restriction (groups of up to 10 people), but would be more likely to be able to do so under Phase 4 (groups of up to 50 people). That would assume no spectators, or just a few and they keep far away from the rest of the group. When the talk about groups like this they don't say how far 2 groups need to be from each other to not be consider a single group.

It seems like we might be moving to Phase 3 next month, though I'm not sure if that isn't premature. However, one thing that has to happen before we can start holding launches again is the park district will need to reopen the parks for group usage, as opposed to individuals walking or biking as is allowed now. If things move to the next phase we might check with the park district to see what they are planning and whether we might be able to hold a launch. I'm not very optimistic about that working out under Phase 3, but it might be more likely under Phase 4. I think what I would do is ask what their plans are before proposing anything.

I understand that they are planning to hold the Mini Midwest Power event in Princeton. Have they actually worked out a way to do this within the current state of the rules. Or are they just hoping that since they are out in the middle of nowhere they figure no one will notice that they have a big crowd of people gathered?

I suspect that whatever happens we probably won't be able to hold a big event like GARLO with lots of spectators this summer.

Jonathan

On 5/13/2020 9:34 PM, Wes Cravens wrote:
I've been pondering this myself.  Given how our launches operate, I'm pretty sure that we could safely manage one even with 'social distancing' measures in place.  Not right now of course... but maybe in one of the later 'phases' of the reopening plan.  In my imagination I've figured that the worst trade off may be that only one person can be at the launch pads at a time.  So it might be slow going, but it could still work.  When it comes to launch prep areas, we're usually pretty well spread out with only sporadic visiting of each other 'in the pits'.  I'm not sure that I've been within 6' of anyone at a launch anyway. :-)

Now of course, having generic crowds, like we want for GARLO may still be an issue, but a GARLO launch could at least still happen even if the general public wasn't formally invited.

Wes

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 9:27 PM Gary Slater <gws77@... <mailto:gws77@...>> wrote:

Greg Montalvo

The QCRC is going ahead with mini-Midwest Power on May 23&24.  Everyone must practice social distracting and wear masks when out of their cars.

On May 13, 2020 10:05 PM, Jonathan Sivier <jsivier@...> wrote:
I think Wes is correct. We MIGHT be able to pull off a launch under the Phase 3 restriction (groups of up to 10 people), but would be more likely to be able to do so under Phase 4 (groups of up to 50 people). That would assume no spectators, or just a few and they keep far away from the rest of the group. When the talk about groups like this they don't say how far 2 groups need to be from each other to not be consider a single group.

It seems like we might be moving to Phase 3 next month, though I'm not sure if that isn't premature. However, one thing that has to happen before we can start holding launches again is the park district will need to reopen the parks for group usage, as opposed to individuals walking or biking as is allowed now. If things move to the next phase we might check with the park district to see what they are planning and whether we might be able to hold a launch. I'm not very optimistic about that working out under Phase 3, but it might be more likely under Phase 4. I think what I would do is ask what their plans are before proposing anything.

I understand that they are planning to hold the Mini Midwest Power event in Princeton. Have they actually worked out a way to do this within the current state of the rules. Or are they just hoping that since they are out in the middle of nowhere they figure no one will notice that they have a big crowd of people gathered?

I suspect that whatever happens we probably won't be able to hold a big event like GARLO with lots of spectators this summer.

Jonathan

Wes

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 9:27 PM Gary Slater <gws77@... <mailto:gws77@...>> wrote:

Wes Cravens

Masks are useful...

image.png

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 10:14 PM <gpm64@...> wrote:
The QCRC is going ahead with mini-Midwest Power on May 23&24.  Everyone must practice social distracting and wear masks when out of their cars.

Jonathan

Wes

Greg Montalvo

I think they are going to have a zero tolerance policy on the masks and social distancing.

On May 13, 2020 10:18 PM, Wes Cravens <wcravens@...> wrote:
Masks are useful...

Jonathan

Wes

Mark Joseph

Only a little off-topic - To answer Jonathan's question regarding how they're holding Mini Midwest Power, I can say that following their work with the local public health district, they developed this set of rules. I am only providing the information - not advocating one way or another, not debating it, nor expressing my opinion - this is verbatim from the QCRC announcement:

----------
Good Evening Rocketeers!

It's the message you have all been waiting for! Mini Midwest Power as you all know is a go! However, due to Covid-19, we need to put some rules in place to keep the launch safe and in compliance with health codes. The board has spoken to the health department and has created these rules for the Mini Midwest Power launch. Failure to comply will result in expulsion from the launch. (This means follow the rules please so that the launch is allowed to continue by the health department). The board of directors has worked with the health department to ensure this launch can still take place by adhering to strict safety policies.

THE RULES!!!

A mask must be worn at all times when outside your vehicle.
Please bring your own mask if you are able to. Top Flight Recovery has generously donated masks for those who do not have one already. If you are not wearing a mask, you must put one on or leave immediately.

All cars must park on the east side of the road. Leave 6 feet MINIMUM between vehicles. More space is better.

If you have your own gloves, it is recommended you wear them when loading your rocket at the pads. Pads will be spaced further apart than normal.
Hand sanitizer will otherwise be provided at the LCO table.

Maintain social distancing of 6 feet apart from anyone who didn't arrive with you in your vehicle.

Port-a-potties will be available. Use them at your own risk, as they will not be sanitized between uses.

Safety inspection will take place one by one, no lines.
RSO will have a new location, away from the flight line.
To sign up for safety inspection, submit your flight card to the RSO table. Do NOT bring your rocket at that time.
When the RSO is ready to inspect your rocket, it will be announced over the loudspeaker and on 93.9 FM.
If your rocket is too large to be safely carried by one person, a RSO will come to you when it is your turn. Please indicate this on your flight card.

There will not be any loitering near Wildman's trailer, RSO table, nor LCO table.

It is strongly recommended that you pre-order any products from Wildman Hobbies.

Please RSVP to the Facebook event if you are planning on attending. This will give us a better idea on how many people are attending and will allow us to prepare better.

Failure to abide by these rules will result in you being told to leave. I understand many of you may feel frustrated with these rules, however, these rules are currently allowing us to hold a launch at this time. Please be safe and do not ruin the fun up for everyone Thank you for your patience, be safe, be healthy, and have a fun time at Mini Midwest Power!

Keep it Classy Rocketeers!

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to ask.

From: cia-rocketry@groups.io <cia-rocketry@groups.io> on behalf of Jonathan Sivier <jsivier@...>
Sent: Wednesday, May 13, 2020 10:05 PM
Subject: Re: [cia-rocketry] GARLO alternatives?

Jonathan

I've been pondering this myself. Given how our launches operate, I'm pretty sure that we could safely manage one even with 'social distancing' measures in place. Not right now of course... but maybe in one of the later 'phases' of the reopening plan. In my imagination I've figured that the worst trade off may be that only one person can be at the launch pads at a time. So it might be slow going, but it could still work. When it comes to launch prep areas, we're usually pretty well spread out with only sporadic visiting of each other 'in the pits'. I'm not sure that I've been within 6' of anyone at a launch anyway. :-)

Wes

Jonathan Sivier

Good information. We may need to refer to this when we are finally able to hold launches again. Of course, the park district may have their own rules for anyone who uses their fields.

Jonathan

On 5/13/2020 10:26 PM, Mark Joseph wrote:
Only a little off-topic - To answer Jonathan's question regarding how they're holding Mini Midwest Power, I can say that following their work with the local public health district, they developed this set of rules. I am only providing the information - not advocating one way or another, not debating it, nor expressing my opinion - this is verbatim from the QCRC announcement:

----------
Good Evening Rocketeers!

It's the message you have all been waiting for! Mini Midwest Power as you all know is a go! However, due to Covid-19, we need to put some rules in place to keep the launch safe and in compliance with health codes. The board has spoken to the health department and has created these rules for the Mini Midwest Power launch. Failure to comply will result in expulsion from the launch. (This means follow the rules please so that the launch is allowed to continue by the health department). The board of directors has worked with the health department to ensure this launch can still take place by adhering to strict safety policies.

THE RULES!!!

Please bring your own mask if you are able to. Top Flight Recovery has generously donated masks for those who do not have one already. If you are not wearing a mask, you must put one on or leave immediately.

All cars must park on the east side of the road. Leave 6 feet MINIMUM between vehicles. More space is better.

If you have your own gloves, it is recommended you wear them when loading your rocket at the pads. Pads will be spaced further apart than normal.

Maintain social distancing of 6 feet apart from anyone who didn't arrive with you in your vehicle.

Port-a-potties will be available. Use them at your own risk, as they will not be sanitized between uses.

To sign up for safety inspection, submit your flight card to the RSO table. Do NOT bring your rocket at that time.
When the RSO is ready to inspect your rocket, it will be announced over the loudspeaker and on 93.9 FM.
If your rocket is too large to be safely carried by one person, a RSO will come to you when it is your turn. Please indicate this on your flight card.

There will not be any loitering near Wildman's trailer, RSO table, nor LCO table.

It is strongly recommended that you pre-order any products from Wildman Hobbies.

Please RSVP to the Facebook event if you are planning on attending. This will give us a better idea on how many people are attending and will allow us to prepare better.

Failure to abide by these rules will result in you being told to leave. I understand many of you may feel frustrated with these rules, however, these rules are currently allowing us to hold a launch at this time. Please be safe and do not ruin the fun up for everyone Thank you for your patience, be safe, be healthy, and have a fun time at Mini Midwest Power!

Jonathan

I've been pondering this myself. Given how our launches operate, I'm pretty sure that we could safely manage one even with 'social distancing' measures in place. Not right now of course... but maybe in one of the later 'phases' of the reopening plan. In my imagination I've figured that the worst trade off may be that only one person can be at the launch pads at a time. So it might be slow going, but it could still work. When it comes to launch prep areas, we're usually pretty well spread out with only sporadic visiting of each other 'in the pits'. I'm not sure that I've been within 6' of anyone at a launch anyway. :-)

Wes

Wes Cravens

And so they should.  I wish more of our community/society was as diligent.

Wes

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 10:24 PM <gpm64@...> wrote:
I think they are going to have a zero tolerance policy on the masks and social distancing.

On May 13, 2020 10:18 PM, Wes Cravens <wcravens@...> wrote:
Masks are useful...

image.png

Jonathan

Wes

Wes Cravens

Thanks Mark. That's informative.  In general it's in line with what I was imagining as a set of rules/guidelines for getting away with some kind of launch sooner rather than later.  I'm with you though... not advocating or arguing in any direction.  Just suggesting that this is in line with what I've imagined 'might' be a way forward.

I had to make a judgement call yesterday and ended up shutting our research park office for the summer.  Not at all a fun thing to have to do... but it's for the best.

Wes

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 10:26 PM Mark Joseph <markjos@...> wrote:

----------
Good Evening Rocketeers!

THE RULES!!!

Jonathan

Wes

William Carney

But some with breathing issues can't wear them.   William

In a message dated 5/13/2020 10:19:12 PM Central Standard Time, wcravens@... writes:

Masks are useful...

William Carney

The only way I could wear a mask for any amount of time would be to use an oxygen tank.
I can't get enough oxygen even without a mask and meds.

William

In a message dated 5/13/2020 10:26:21 PM Central Standard Time, markjos@... writes:

Wes Cravens

Sounds like you just need a hard diving suit.  Ingenuity for the win!!!!!

Wes

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 10:27 AM William Carney via groups.io <WillCarney=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
The only way I could wear a mask for any amount of time would be to use an oxygen tank.
I can't get enough oxygen even without a mask and meds.

William

In a message dated 5/13/2020 10:26:21 PM Central Standard Time, markjos@... writes:

William Carney

Kidding aside, yep.  Maybe a hazmat suit.  Tree pollen and grass pollen are through the roof right now.
We had a pollen alert for quite a few days.  William

In a message dated 5/14/2020 10:37:12 AM Central Standard Time, wcravens@... writes:

Sounds like you just need a hard diving suit.  Ingenuity for the win!!!!!

Wes