GARLO alternatives?

Gary Slater

With the uncertainty of the near future should we start thinking about the possibility of an alternative or two date for GARLO this year other than just a rain date?
Perhaps start with some time in July for instance or even just cancel it altogether?

Wes Cravens

I've been pondering this myself.  Given how our launches operate, I'm pretty sure that we could safely manage one even with 'social distancing' measures in place.  Not right now of course... but maybe in one of the later 'phases' of the reopening plan.  In my imagination I've figured that the worst trade off may be that only one person can be at the launch pads at a time.  So it might be slow going, but it could still work.  When it comes to launch prep areas, we're usually pretty well spread out with only sporadic visiting of each other 'in the pits'.  I'm not sure that I've been within 6' of anyone at a launch anyway. :-)

Now of course, having generic crowds, like we want for GARLO may still be an issue, but a GARLO launch could at least still happen even if the general public wasn't formally invited.

In any case, I would prefer rescheduling rather than cancelling (for now).

Wes

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 9:27 PM Gary Slater <gws77@...> wrote:
With the uncertainty of the near future should we start thinking about the possibility of an alternative or two date for GARLO this year other than just a rain date?
Perhaps start with some time in July for instance or even just cancel it altogether?

Greg Smith

I’m guessing our Central region will enter Phase 3 of the Illinois reopening plan on June 1, although this is not a sure thing yet. But under the Phase 3 guidelines, gatherings are still limited to 10 people or fewer. That would make it pretty hard to hold GARLO as scheduled, although it might permit some small club launches.

I’m kind of thinking early August might be the best time to reschedule, while the weather is still nice and during the traditional summer travel season before schools re-open (if they do). But it all depends on the virus and the governor.

- GDS