demo launch July 30 at Dodds Park #Outreach

Jonathan Sivier

Part of our agreement with the Champaign Park District that enables us to use Dodds Park for flying rockets is that we do some sort of rocket event for the kids attending the park district's summer camps. Most years we have put on a demonstration launch for the kids.

We will be doing a demo launch at Dodds Park on Friday, July 30. We will plan to meet there at noon to set up and then fly rockets for about an hour starting at 1 p.m. We should be finished and packed up by 3 p.m.

We need people to come and help out. If you can make it that day let me know. My guess is we won't activate the waiver for that day, but we will want a variety of rockets to demonstrate. You may want to prep your rockets in advance. We usually are able to fly 20 rockets or so at these events. How many rockets each person should be prepared to fly will depend in part on how many people can come to help out. Even if you can only come to help with the set up an/or tear down your help will be appreciated.

Send me a note if you can make it that day. Thanks.

Jonathan

Joseph Rice

I have a number of finished Estes rockets that can be used and given away. I’ll try to make the event. I can send photos.

Joe

On Jul 18, 2021, at 2:30 PM, Jonathan Sivier <jsivier@...> wrote:

[...]

Flying your rockets will be great. I'm not sure if we want to deal with giving out rockets at this event. There will likely be over 50 kids and I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to give rockets to only a few of the kids. I'd love to be able to give every kid a rocket, but that probably isn't practical. In past years we have had rockets to give away at GARLO. I'm hoping we can do that again next year.

Jonathan

On 7/18/2021 2:38 PM, Joseph Rice via groups.io wrote:
[...]

There is also the fact that these will be very young kids, and no parents will be there. In all likelihood,  any rockets we give them will never be flown.

[...]

Randy Milliken

The Fliskits Caution Rocket is a cheap and easy way to give out free rockets. Three sheets of printed cardstock, two pages of instructions, a little elastic, some  clay, and a piece of caution tape for a streamer.

On Jul 18, 2021, 4:00 PM -0400, Christopher Deem <chris-deem@...>, wrote:
[...]

Kevin A

I'd love to be able to come demonstrate some of my smaller builds (and my HPRs suitable for park flying on F's/G's) for this, but unfortunately I wouldn't be able to get there that early on a Friday.

Hope you get a good turnout either way.

Regards,
Kevin

On Sun, Jul 18, 2021 at 2:30 PM Jonathan Sivier <jsivier@...> wrote:
[...]

As of today, I can probably help with set up/take down and fly something the kids might like.
I have it on my calendar.