Topics

call for nominations for GARLO awards


Jonathan Sivier
 

Yesterday's launch was very successful. The weather turned out to be great and we had a very good turnout and lots of great flights.

As was mentioned in the announcements this was to be our "mini GARLO". We didn't have flight cards as we typically do at GARLO, so we don't have a good record of all the flights that were made. However, we do want to make some awards as we normally do for GARLO. So we are asking people to nominate their own flights, or if they recall an impressive rocket or flight during the afternoon you can nominate someone else.

Here are the categories we will be giving 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th place awards for:

Best Flight - The most impressive (successful) flight of the day. In your nomination message mention what made the flight so impressive to you.

Best Looking Rocket - This is fairly self-explanatory. It only needs to have made a successful flight. The flight itself doesn't need to be particularly impressive, as long as it went up and came down safely.

Best Rocket for the GARLO Theme - The theme this year was 2020 VIsion. The interpretation of this was left to the imagination of the rocketeer. In your nomination message tell us how you interpreted the theme and how the rocket you are nominating embodied that theme.

Odd-Roc - The best flight by a rocket that is somehow different than the usual 3 fins and a nose cone type rocket.

Prang - Not all rockets had successful flights. We do have some prang awards for those that experienced some problems in their flights.

Send your messages to the list so we can all see the nominations and at the same time relive some of the days flying. The deadline for submitting nominations will be next Saturday, October 17. After that time the awards committee will consider the submissions and make their decisions on the final awards.

To get the ball rolling I would like to nominate the flight of my Majestic on a G33 for one of the best flights of the day. It had a dark black smoke trail that was perfectly straight and very long as the motor burned for almost 4 seconds. It looked like someone had drawn a line up into the sky with a black Sharpie pen. We lost sight of the rocket after the motor burned out, but then it was spotted coming down shortly before the Chute Release opened the parachute at 300 feet. It landed safely in the field and was easily recovered.

Jonathan


Rick Lyons
 

My Katana had a pretty impressive failure! It will fly again! Maybe I'll rename it Phoenix.

On Sunday, October 11, 2020, 12:00:42 PM CDT, Jonathan Sivier <jsivier@...> wrote:


Yesterday's launch was very successful. The weather turned out to be great and we had a very good turnout and lots of great flights.

As was mentioned in the announcements this was to be our "mini GARLO". We didn't have flight cards as we typically do at GARLO, so we don't have a good record of all the flights that were made. However, we do want to make some awards as we normally do for GARLO. So we are asking people to nominate their own flights, or if they recall an impressive rocket or flight during the afternoon you can nominate someone else.

Here are the categories we will be giving 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th place awards for:

Best Flight - The most impressive (successful) flight of the day. In your nomination message mention what made the flight so impressive to you.

Best Looking Rocket - This is fairly self-explanatory. It only needs to have made a successful flight. The flight itself doesn't need to be particularly impressive, as long as it went up and came down safely.

Best Rocket for the GARLO Theme - The theme this year was 2020 VIsion. The interpretation of this was left to the imagination of the rocketeer. In your nomination message tell us how you interpreted the theme and how the rocket you are nominating embodied that theme.

Odd-Roc - The best flight by a rocket that is somehow different than the usual 3 fins and a nose cone type rocket.

Prang - Not all rockets had successful flights. We do have some prang awards for those that experienced some problems in their flights.

Send your messages to the list so we can all see the nominations and at the same time relive some of the days flying. The deadline for submitting nominations will be next Saturday, October 17. After that time the awards committee will consider the submissions and make their decisions on the final awards.

To get the ball rolling I would like to nominate the flight of my Majestic on a G33 for one of the best flights of the day. It had a dark black smoke trail that was perfectly straight and very long as the motor burned for almost 4 seconds. It looked like someone had drawn a line up into the sky with a black Sharpie pen. We lost sight of the rocket after the motor burned out, but then it was spotted coming down shortly before the Chute Release opened the parachute at 300 feet. It landed safely in the field and was easily recovered.

Jonathan


Jonathan Sivier
 

An addendum to my earlier message. You can nominate a rocket in more than one category (i.e. a good looking rocket that has a great flight), but it can only win in one of those categories.

Jonathan


Adam Rouse
 

In case you want a refresher to think about nomination candidates, all my pictures are available now on smugmug. I’m still working on the videos, I expect to have them ready later this week.

 

https://ajrouse.smugmug.com/Rocketry/CIA-Launches

 

Cheers!

-Adam


Christopher Deem
 

Ood-Roc, my Solar Probe on a H45W.  It seemed to burn forever.

 

Christopher Brian Deem NAR 12308 TRA 2256 level 2                                               Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Jonathan Sivier
Sent: Sunday, October 11, 2020 12:00 PM
To: cia-rocketry@groups.io
Subject: [Special] [cia-rocketry] call for nominations for GARLO awards

 

Yesterday's launch was very successful. The weather turned out to be great and we had a very good turnout and lots of great flights.

As was mentioned in the announcements this was to be our "mini GARLO". We didn't have flight cards as we typically do at GARLO, so we don't have a good record of all the flights that were made. However, we do want to make some awards as we normally do for GARLO. So we are asking people to nominate their own flights, or if they recall an impressive rocket or flight during the afternoon you can nominate someone else.

Here are the categories we will be giving 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th place awards for:

Best Flight - The most impressive (successful) flight of the day. In your nomination message mention what made the flight so impressive to you.

Best Looking Rocket - This is fairly self-explanatory. It only needs to have made a successful flight. The flight itself doesn't need to be particularly impressive, as long as it went up and came down safely.

Best Rocket for the GARLO Theme - The theme this year was 2020 VIsion. The interpretation of this was left to the imagination of the rocketeer. In your nomination message tell us how you interpreted the theme and how the rocket you are nominating embodied that theme.

Odd-Roc - The best flight by a rocket that is somehow different than the usual 3 fins and a nose cone type rocket.

Prang - Not all rockets had successful flights. We do have some prang awards for those that experienced some problems in their flights.

Send your messages to the list so we can all see the nominations and at the same time relive some of the days flying. The deadline for submitting nominations will be next Saturday, October 17. After that time the awards committee will consider the submissions and make their decisions on the final awards.

To get the ball rolling I would like to nominate the flight of my Majestic on a G33 for one of the best flights of the day. It had a dark black smoke trail that was perfectly straight and very long as the motor burned for almost 4 seconds. It looked like someone had drawn a line up into the sky with a black Sharpie pen. We lost sight of the rocket after the motor burned out, but then it was spotted coming down shortly before the Chute Release opened the parachute at 300 feet. It landed safely in the field and was easily recovered.

Jonathan

 


Shane Ramos
 

I enjoyed watching my Goblin cluster rocket on 3x A10 motors take flight for the first time and therefore nominate it for best flight !

I also nominate the rocket that had 3 F blue thunder motors in for best looking rocket , can’t remember the name but it’s in the photo album - thank you Adam it was great reliving all the launches

-Shane


John Robbins
 

Thanks for hosting the event.  My first time at Rantoul site.  Started small and went larger.

 

Would of liked to have gotten a few more in the air but it was a good day.  6 out of 6. 

 

My flights outlined below.

 

10/10/2020

Rantoul Site

Estes

Corvette Class

C6-5

342

1:35pm

First time launching in Rantoul.   Partly cloudy, temps in the mid 70s, partly cloudy, winds out of the  SE 5-10.  Later on in the day winds were zero and skies should clear. 
Maiden flight checking wind.  Good flight in the field 50’ from the pad downwind.

10/10/2020

Rantoul Site

Quest

Magnum

C6-3

613

2:52pm

Clustered rocket.  Maiden flight.  2x C6-3.  Great straight flight.  In the field 100’ downwind of the pads.

10/10/2020

Rantoul Site

Estes

Cosmic Interceptor

E30-7T

495

3:59pm

GARLO Best Looking Rocket flight.  Great straight flight with little twist.  In the field 50’ downwind of the pads.

10/10/2020

Rantoul Site

Estes

Doorknob

F15-4

686

4:47pm

Great maiden flight with Vanderburn upgrades. Low and Slow.  Chute release @300.  In the field 20’ upwind of the pad. My closest to the pad.

10/10/2020

Rantoul Site

Estes

Ascender

F15-8

1876

5:13pm

Boosted flight with a F15.  Rod little too angled.   Good ignition of upper stage and headed down range when booster lit.  Landed 1/2 mile from pads next to runway.  Spent little time finding due to incoming planes.  Chute release @ 300.

10/10/2020

Rantoul Site

Estes

Nike smoke 29

G76-10G

1956

6:14pm

Last of the day and getting dark.  Little concerned about delay but went with it.  Heard it whistling coming in but popped and chute release at 300.  Landed 500’ upwind.  No zipper.

 

 

John Robbins

 

From: cia-rocketry@groups.io <cia-rocketry@groups.io> On Behalf Of Jonathan Sivier via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, October 11, 2020 12:01 PM
To: cia-rocketry@groups.io
Subject: [Special] [cia-rocketry] call for nominations for GARLO awards

 

Think Secure. This email is from an external source.

Yesterday's launch was very successful. The weather turned out to be great and we had a very good turnout and lots of great flights.

As was mentioned in the announcements this was to be our "mini GARLO". We didn't have flight cards as we typically do at GARLO, so we don't have a good record of all the flights that were made. However, we do want to make some awards as we normally do for GARLO. So we are asking people to nominate their own flights, or if they recall an impressive rocket or flight during the afternoon you can nominate someone else.

Here are the categories we will be giving 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th place awards for:

Best Flight - The most impressive (successful) flight of the day. In your nomination message mention what made the flight so impressive to you.

Best Looking Rocket - This is fairly self-explanatory. It only needs to have made a successful flight. The flight itself doesn't need to be particularly impressive, as long as it went up and came down safely.

Best Rocket for the GARLO Theme - The theme this year was 2020 VIsion. The interpretation of this was left to the imagination of the rocketeer. In your nomination message tell us how you interpreted the theme and how the rocket you are nominating embodied that theme.

Odd-Roc - The best flight by a rocket that is somehow different than the usual 3 fins and a nose cone type rocket.

Prang - Not all rockets had successful flights. We do have some prang awards for those that experienced some problems in their flights.

Send your messages to the list so we can all see the nominations and at the same time relive some of the days flying. The deadline for submitting nominations will be next Saturday, October 17. After that time the awards committee will consider the submissions and make their decisions on the final awards.

To get the ball rolling I would like to nominate the flight of my Majestic on a G33 for one of the best flights of the day. It had a dark black smoke trail that was perfectly straight and very long as the motor burned for almost 4 seconds. It looked like someone had drawn a line up into the sky with a black Sharpie pen. We lost sight of the rocket after the motor burned out, but then it was spotted coming down shortly before the Chute Release opened the parachute at 300 feet. It landed safely in the field and was easily recovered.

Jonathan


John Robbins
 

Thanks Adam for the photos!! 

 

From: cia-rocketry@groups.io <cia-rocketry@groups.io> On Behalf Of Adam Rouse via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, October 11, 2020 1:40 PM
To: cia-rocketry@groups.io
Subject: Re: [cia-rocketry] call for nominations for GARLO awards

 

Think Secure. This email is from an external source.

In case you want a refresher to think about nomination candidates, all my pictures are available now on smugmug. I’m still working on the videos, I expect to have them ready later this week.

 

https://ajrouse.smugmug.com/Rocketry/CIA-Launches

 

Cheers!

-Adam


steven dramstad
 

My Jayhawk for best prang and Alcubierre for best looking if it’s not too late.....


On Oct 12, 2020, at 11:30 AM, John Robbins via groups.io <john.robbins@...> wrote:



Thanks Adam for the photos!! 

 

From: cia-rocketry@groups.io <cia-rocketry@groups.io> On Behalf Of Adam Rouse via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, October 11, 2020 1:40 PM
To: cia-rocketry@groups.io
Subject: Re: [cia-rocketry] call for nominations for GARLO awards

 

Think Secure. This email is from an external source.

In case you want a refresher to think about nomination candidates, all my pictures are available now on smugmug. I’m still working on the videos, I expect to have them ready later this week.

 

https://ajrouse.smugmug.com/Rocketry/CIA-Launches

 

Cheers!

-Adam


Jonathan Sivier
 

Thanks. We will continue to accept nominations/votes until Saturday.

Jonathan


On 10/14/2020 1:13 PM, steven dramstad wrote:
My Jayhawk for best prang and Alcubierre for best looking if it’s not too late.....


Jonathan Sivier
 

There were a couple of other rockets that pranged on Saturday. There was the fiberglass rocket flown by John Hall that lawn-darted into the field and there was also a Mean Machine that crashed. Does anyone remember whose rocket that was?

Jonathan


On 10/14/2020 1:28 PM, Jonathan Sivier wrote:
Thanks. We will continue to accept nominations/votes until Saturday.

Jonathan

On 10/14/2020 1:13 PM, steven dramstad wrote:

My Jayhawk for best prang and Alcubierre for best looking if it’s not too late.....


john hall
 

I nominate Steve for PRANG 1. He hit concrete. 2. I still have 1/2 my rocket.  3. The collision event should be really special to unseat the incumbent... :)


On Oct 14, 2020, at 1:30 PM, Jonathan Sivier <jsivier@...> wrote:

There were a couple of other rockets that pranged on Saturday. There was the fiberglass rocket flown by John Hall that lawn-darted into the field and there was also a Mean Machine that crashed. Does anyone remember whose rocket that was?

Jonathan

On 10/14/2020 1:28 PM, Jonathan Sivier wrote:
Thanks. We will continue to accept nominations/votes until Saturday.

Jonathan

On 10/14/2020 1:13 PM, steven dramstad wrote:

My Jayhawk for best prang and Alcubierre for best looking if it’s not too late.....


steven dramstad
 

When was the last time any of you did this???

😩


From: cia-rocketry@groups.io <cia-rocketry@groups.io> on behalf of john hall via groups.io <jotdown@...>
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2020 6:23 PM
To: cia-rocketry@groups.io <cia-rocketry@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [cia-rocketry] call for nominations for GARLO awards
 
I nominate Steve for PRANG 1. He hit concrete. 2. I still have 1/2 my rocket.  3. The collision event should be really special to unseat the incumbent... :)


On Oct 14, 2020, at 1:30 PM, Jonathan Sivier <jsivier@...> wrote:

There were a couple of other rockets that pranged on Saturday. There was the fiberglass rocket flown by John Hall that lawn-darted into the field and there was also a Mean Machine that crashed. Does anyone remember whose rocket that was?

Jonathan

On 10/14/2020 1:28 PM, Jonathan Sivier wrote:
Thanks. We will continue to accept nominations/votes until Saturday.

Jonathan

On 10/14/2020 1:13 PM, steven dramstad wrote:

My Jayhawk for best prang and Alcubierre for best looking if it’s not too late.....


Adam Rouse
 

I would like to self-nominate my AIM-120 Scale Rocket for the Best Looking category. 😊 I launched it on the last rack at dusk. I have attached a better picture because it was hard to see the rocket at dusk. I also attached a photo of the real thing for reference.

 

Background pattern

Description automatically generated

 

Text, whiteboard

Description automatically generated

 

A field with trees in the dark

Description automatically generated

 

I would like to Second the nomination of Chris’s Flying Saucer on an H for Odd-Roc, John’s Doorknob for Best Flight it went up straight and almost hit the pads it came down so well, Steve’s crunched Jayhawk for Prang, and Shane’s little clustered goblin for best flight, it was fun to see the little rocket blast off on 3 engines.

 

Overall, great launches everyone!

 

Cheers!

-Adam


Christopher Deem
 

Crushed a nose cone exactly like that? Never. Destroyed nose cones in various different way? Oh yeah.

 

Christopher Brian Deem NAR 12308 TRA 2256 level 2                                               Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: steven dramstad
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2020 9:57 PM
To: cia-rocketry@groups.io
Subject: Re: [cia-rocketry] call for nominations for GARLO awards

 

When was the last time any of you did this???

 

😩

 

From: cia-rocketry@groups.io <cia-rocketry@groups.io> on behalf of john hall via groups.io <jotdown@...>
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2020 6:23 PM
To: cia-rocketry@groups.io <cia-rocketry@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [cia-rocketry] call for nominations for GARLO awards

 

I nominate Steve for PRANG 1. He hit concrete. 2. I still have 1/2 my rocket.  3. The collision event should be really special to unseat the incumbent... :)



On Oct 14, 2020, at 1:30 PM, Jonathan Sivier <jsivier@...> wrote:

There were a couple of other rockets that pranged on Saturday. There was the fiberglass rocket flown by John Hall that lawn-darted into the field and there was also a Mean Machine that crashed. Does anyone remember whose rocket that was?

Jonathan

On 10/14/2020 1:28 PM, Jonathan Sivier wrote:

Thanks. We will continue to accept nominations/votes until Saturday.

Jonathan

On 10/14/2020 1:13 PM, steven dramstad wrote:

My Jayhawk for best prang and Alcubierre for best looking if it’s not too late.....

 


Greg Smith
 

Obviously defective equipment.

 

- GDS

 

 

 

From: cia-rocketry@groups.io [mailto:cia-rocketry@groups.io] On Behalf Of steven dramstad
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2020 9:57 PM
To: cia-rocketry@groups.io
Subject: Re: [cia-rocketry] call for nominations for GARLO awards

 

When was the last time any of you did this???

 

😩


steven dramstad
 

It will just buff right out......


On Oct 16, 2020, at 9:49 PM, Greg Smith <gregs@...> wrote:



Obviously defective equipment.

 

- GDS

 

 

 

From: cia-rocketry@groups.io [mailto:cia-rocketry@groups.io] On Behalf Of steven dramstad
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2020 9:57 PM
To: cia-rocketry@groups.io
Subject: Re: [cia-rocketry] call for nominations for GARLO awards

 

When was the last time any of you did this???

 

😩