Topics

Anyone missing a rocket?

Alan Carrol

Darrin Flessner just dropped by my house. He left me with a booster section, about 107 cm long, 3.4m OD, 3 fins, epoxy filament wound body tube. He found it out in the soy bean field over the weekend. He said he had to use a shovel to retrieve it. There's still about 36 cm of solid dirt in the top. I think the motor is still in it, although if it is it shifted about 5-6 cm forward on impact and the retention rings are missing.

Jonathan Sivier

Alan M. Carroll wrote:
Darrin Flessner just dropped by my house. He left me with a booster
section, about 107 cm long, 3.4m OD, 3 fins, epoxy filament wound body
tube. He found it out in the soy bean field over the weekend. He said
he had to use a shovel to retrieve it. There's still about 36 cm of
solid dirt in the top. I think the motor is still in it, although if
it is it shifted about 5-6 cm forward on impact and the retention rings
are missing.

Other than the diameter of 3.4 meters it sounds like it could be the rocket Lon lost. ;-)

Jonathan

Mark Joseph

Darrin Flessner just dropped by my house. He left me with a booster
section, about 107 cm long, 3.4m OD, 3 fins, epoxy filament wound body tube. He found it out in the soy bean field over the weekend. He said he had to use a shovel to retrieve it. There's still about 36 cm of solid dirt in the top. I think the motor is still in it, although if it is it shifted about 5-6 cm forward on impact and the retention rings are missing.
That's awesome - Are you listening, Lon? Good that he seems to have spotted it before it got fouled in his equipment (for his sake, and the rocket).

Mark

Christopher Deem

Probably Lon's Raptor. He lost the booster section, we looked, and looked, but never found it.

--
Christopher Brian Deem NAR 12308 TRA 2256 level II

Lon Westfall

Looks like it went much further South than we expected. It also sounds
like it came in ballistic. We were wandering if it would be stable
without the payload section and with a big engine in it.

My thanks to Darrin and you Alan! Where can I go to get it? What's the
shovel fee? ;-)

He didn't find any balsa gliders did he? I'm pretty sure the glider
didn't land in his or even his neighbor's field.

Lon

Alan M. Carroll wrote:

Darrin Flessner just dropped by my house. He left me with a booster
section, about 107 cm long, 3.4m OD, 3 fins, epoxy filament wound body
tube. He found it out in the soy bean field over the weekend. He said
he had to use a shovel to retrieve it. There's still about 36 cm of
solid dirt in the top. I think the motor is still in it, although if
it is it shifted about 5-6 cm forward on impact and the retention
rings are missing.

--
Christopher Brian Deem NAR 12308 TRA 2256 level II

Christopher Deem

The glider is probably in Kentucky :-D And, did anyone else see Tim Dixon on the channel 3 news? From what they said, he was part way through his "30 days without high tech" at the launch the 11th. Tomorrow, they will report how he is doing "after a few weeks". I bet he didn't make it ;-) , I know when my computer was in the shop for almost a week, it drove my nuts, and I don't spend all day on the computer.

Alan M. Carroll wrote:

Darrin Flessner just dropped by my house. He left me with a booster
section, about 107 cm long, 3.4m OD, 3 fins, epoxy filament wound body
tube. He found it out in the soy bean field over the weekend. He said
he had to use a shovel to retrieve it. There's still about 36 cm of
solid dirt in the top. I think the motor is still in it, although if
it is it shifted about 5-6 cm forward on impact and the retention
rings are missing.

--
Christopher Brian Deem NAR 12308 TRA 2256 level II

--
Christopher Brian Deem NAR 12308 TRA 2256 level II

Tim Dixon <dixontj93060@...>

Uh, yeah, see: Technology Detox
<http://illinoishomepage.net/content/fulltext/?cid=77311> . I believe
they overdid the report a bit (such is hype). It was not meant to be a
complete disconnect, but a severe limiting.

--- In cia-rocketry@..., Christopher Brian Deem

Alan M. Carroll wrote:

Darrin Flessner just dropped by my house. He left me with a
booster
section, about 107 cm long, 3.4m OD, 3 fins, epoxy filament wound
body

tube. He found it out in the soy bean field over the weekend. He
said
he had to use a shovel to retrieve it. There's still about 36 cm
of
solid dirt in the top. I think the motor is still in it, although
if
it is it shifted about 5-6 cm forward on impact and the retention
rings are missing.

--
Christopher Brian Deem NAR 12308 TRA 2256 level II

--
Christopher Brian Deem NAR 12308 TRA 2256 level II

Jeff Deem

Honest Lon, I did scan that field when I looked for it. It would have been nice to see exactly how it landed, I think even if it were tumbling, it could have landed "nose first"

Jeff

Alan M. Carroll wrote:

Darrin Flessner just dropped by my house. He left me with a booster
section, about 107 cm long, 3.4m OD, 3 fins, epoxy filament wound body
tube. He found it out in the soy bean field over the weekend. He said
he had to use a shovel to retrieve it. There's still about 36 cm of
solid dirt in the top. I think the motor is still in it, although if
it is it shifted about 5-6 cm forward on impact and the retention
rings are missing.

--
Christopher Brian Deem NAR 12308 TRA 2256 level II

Lon Westfall

Jeff,

The evidence that it came in ballistic (A.K.A. really fast) is the 1.4'
of dirt in the tube.

Lon

Alan M. Carroll wrote:

Darrin Flessner just dropped by my house. He left me with a booster
section, about 107 cm long, 3.4m OD, 3 fins, epoxy filament wound
body

tube. He found it out in the soy bean field over the weekend. He said
he had to use a shovel to retrieve it. There's still about 36 cm of
solid dirt in the top. I think the motor is still in it, although if
it is it shifted about 5-6 cm forward on impact and the retention
rings are missing.

--
Christopher Brian Deem NAR 12308 TRA 2256 level II

Jeff Deem

that would explain the shovel. 36cm not 36mm. duh!

Jeff

The evidence that it came in ballistic (A.K.A. really fast) is the 1.4'
of dirt in the tube.

Lon

Not to belabor the point, but I am darned glad that none of us nor our cars, homes or other valuables were in the spot where that rocket came down. It certainly speaks to the wisdom of launching these high power and composite-material rockets in a big, open, isolated field. It is a really good thing we didn't do that at Dodds.

- GDS