Recovery

Gary Slater

Thanks Greg. Enjoyed the article!

On Jun 21, 2021, at 7:36 AM, Greg Smith <gregs@...> wrote:

The theme of this year’s GARLO 2021 is “Recovery,” and it intentionally has a double meaning. One is about getting back to business after COVID and the cataclysmic events of the last year and a half. But the other is about the actual, physical recovery of rockets at the end of their flights, and we’ll be holding one of our informal contests to reward the most innovative and interesting methods for bringing them down intact and safely.

So to give you some inspiration, here’s a neat article about NASA’s (ultimately unsuccessful) program to develop a parawing recovery system for the Gemini (and potentially Apollo) spacecraft in the early 1960s:

https://medium.com/the-vintage-space/why-nasa-abandoned-the-gemini-rogallo-wing-84537fc3f825

Spoiler: In between his X-15 flights, Neil Armstrong basically welded together the first manned test vehicle in his own garage before receiving official NASA support for the project.

greg@...  217-840-1678

Greg Smith