Starship Prototype update

Shaun L. Bill

Looks like flight window opens about 2pm.
Because this is a prototype test, Elon estimates maybe 1/3 chance of getting SN8 back intact.

On 12/08/2020 10:51 AM Shaun L. Bill <slbill@...> wrote:

Nothing immediately imminent.
Pad is clear and some venting is taking place but Remove Before Flight" items still in place.
On 12/08/2020 9:53 AM Gary Slater <gws77@...> wrote:

SpaceX Starship set to begin live coverage in a few minutes:

only scheduled for a 12.5 km flight but with landing of the rocket too I think

Gary Slater

Would that be Elon's way of saying, without saying, he doesn't expect it to go well?

On 12/08/2020 11:15 AM Shaun L. Bill <slbill@...> wrote:

Looks like flight window opens about 2pm.
Because this is a prototype test, Elon estimates maybe 1/3 chance of getting SN8 back intact.
On 12/08/2020 10:51 AM Shaun L. Bill <slbill@...> wrote:

Nothing immediately imminent.
Pad is clear and some venting is taking place but Remove Before Flight" items still in place.
On 12/08/2020 9:53 AM Gary Slater <gws77@...> wrote:

SpaceX Starship set to begin live coverage in a few minutes:

only scheduled for a 12.5 km flight but with landing of the rocket too I think

Shaun L. Bill

Lowered Expectations!

On 12/08/2020 11:19 AM Gary Slater <gws77@...> wrote:

Would that be Elon's way of saying, without saying, he doesn't expect it to go well?

On 12/08/2020 11:15 AM Shaun L. Bill <slbill@...> wrote:

Looks like flight window opens about 2pm.
Because this is a prototype test, Elon estimates maybe 1/3 chance of getting SN8 back intact.
On 12/08/2020 10:51 AM Shaun L. Bill <slbill@...> wrote:

Nothing immediately imminent.
Pad is clear and some venting is taking place but Remove Before Flight" items still in place.
On 12/08/2020 9:53 AM Gary Slater <gws77@...> wrote:

SpaceX Starship set to begin live coverage in a few minutes:

only scheduled for a 12.5 km flight but with landing of the rocket too I think

Gary Slater

exactly what I meant

On 12/08/2020 11:33 AM Shaun L. Bill <slbill@...> wrote:

Lowered Expectations!

On 12/08/2020 11:19 AM Gary Slater <gws77@...> wrote:

Would that be Elon's way of saying, without saying, he doesn't expect it to go well?

On 12/08/2020 11:15 AM Shaun L. Bill <slbill@...> wrote:

Looks like flight window opens about 2pm.
Because this is a prototype test, Elon estimates maybe 1/3 chance of getting SN8 back intact.
On 12/08/2020 10:51 AM Shaun L. Bill <slbill@...> wrote:

Nothing immediately imminent.
Pad is clear and some venting is taking place but Remove Before Flight" items still in place.
On 12/08/2020 9:53 AM Gary Slater <gws77@...> wrote:

SpaceX Starship set to begin live coverage in a few minutes:

only scheduled for a 12.5 km flight but with landing of the rocket too I think

Shaun L. Bill

prepping for flight now
Nothing before 2pm...probably later

On 12/08/2020 11:36 AM Gary Slater <gws77@...> wrote:

[...]

NASA WB-57 out of Ellington (Houston) being used to support this.
Currently not slated to take off until 230pm CST.
When that takes off, it should give us a 30-45 minute warning.

On 12/08/2020 1:32 PM Shaun L. Bill <slbill@...> wrote:

[...]

steven dramstad

Edited

He gave the Falcon Heavy launch a 50% chance of success. Was calling it a success if it didn’t take out the launch pad……

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Would that be Elon's way of saying, without saying, he doesn't expect it to go well?

On 12/08/2020 11:15 AM Shaun L. Bill <slbill@...> wrote:

Looks like flight window opens about 2pm.
Because this is a prototype test, Elon estimates maybe 1/3 chance of getting SN8 back intact.

On 12/08/2020 10:51 AM Shaun L. Bill <slbill@...> wrote:

Nothing immediately imminent.
Pad is clear and some venting is taking place but Remove Before Flight" items still in place.

On 12/08/2020 9:53 AM Gary Slater <gws77@...> wrote:

SpaceX Starship set to begin live coverage in a few minutes:

only scheduled for a 12.5 km flight but with landing of the rocket too I think

Shaun L. Bill

WB-57 is air born and bound for Brownsville.
fueling has started.
I am going to make sure I have it up on YouTube.
Best guess at this point is 1545-1600ish.

On 12/08/2020 2:23 PM Shaun L. Bill <slbill@...> wrote:

[...]

Current target for launch is 1630

On 12/08/2020 3:23 PM Shaun L. Bill <slbill@...> wrote:

[...]

Jonathan Sivier

About 2 minutes to go.

Jonathan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf83yzzme2I <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf83yzzme2I>
only scheduled for a 12.5 km flight but with landing of the rocket too I think

Jonathan Sivier

No go for today.

Jonathan

On 12/8/2020 4:33 PM, Jonathan Sivier wrote:
[...]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf83yzzme2I <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf83yzzme2I> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf83yzzme2I <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf83yzzme2I>>
only scheduled for a 12.5 km flight but with landing of the rocket too I think

Greg Smith

Well, that was kind of anticlimactic.

- GDS

WB-57 is air born and bound for Brownsville.
fueling has started.
I am going to make sure I have it up on YouTube.
Best guess at this point is 1545-1600ish.
Your comments made me look up the history of NASA's WB-57s. Wikipedia says that NASA has operated two planes continuously, but in 2011 decided that they needed a third, so the retrieved one that had been stored in the desert for 40 years and restored it to flight status in 2013. That kind of stuff makes me smile.