Greg, did you say once that Dodds is about 20 acres?

Gary Slater

Just after hitting the send I remembered I have google earth.  I did a quick measurement.  From Bradley to the ball fields (~1300') x east to west field measurement (~980') equals about 29 acres if my math is correct.

On 07/07/2020 4:19 PM Gary Slater <gws77@...> wrote:

Greg, did you say once that Dodds is about 20 acres?

Christopher Deem

According to the Park District website, the entire park is 104 acres.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

-------- Original message --------
From: Gary Slater <gws77@...>
Date: 7/7/20 4:26 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: cia-rocketry@groups.io
Subject: Re: [cia-rocketry] Dodds acreage?

Just after hitting the send I remembered I have google earth.  I did a quick measurement.  From Bradley to the ball fields (~1300') x east to west field measurement (~980') equals about 29 acres if my math is correct.
On 07/07/2020 4:19 PM Gary Slater <gws77@...> wrote:

Greg, did you say once that Dodds is about 20 acres?

Greg Montalvo

Yeah that's what I stepped off the last time I launch with you guys.

On Jul 7, 2020 4:26 PM, Gary Slater <gws77@...> wrote:
Just after hitting the send I remembered I have google earth.  I did a quick measurement.  From Bradley to the ball fields (~1300') x east to west field measurement (~980') equals about 29 acres if my math is correct.
On 07/07/2020 4:19 PM Gary Slater <gws77@...> wrote:

Greg, did you say once that Dodds is about 20 acres?

Greg Montalvo

I should clarify that I used the map my walk app to step off the field.

On Jul 7, 2020 5:22 PM, gpm64@... wrote:
Yeah that's what I stepped off the last time I launch with you guys.

On Jul 7, 2020 4:26 PM, Gary Slater <gws77@...> wrote:
Just after hitting the send I remembered I have google earth.  I did a quick measurement.  From Bradley to the ball fields (~1300') x east to west field measurement (~980') equals about 29 acres if my math is correct.
On 07/07/2020 4:19 PM Gary Slater <gws77@...> wrote:

Greg, did you say once that Dodds is about 20 acres?

Gary Slater

Never thought of using the app such

On Jul 7, 2020, at 5:25 PM, Greg Montalvo <gpm64@...> wrote:

I should clarify that I used the map my walk app to step off the field.

On Jul 7, 2020 5:22 PM, gpm64@... wrote:
Yeah that's what I stepped off the last time I launch with you guys.

On Jul 7, 2020 4:26 PM, Gary Slater <gws77@...> wrote:
Just after hitting the send I remembered I have google earth.  I did a quick measurement.  From Bradley to the ball fields (~1300') x east to west field measurement (~980') equals about 29 acres if my math is correct.
On 07/07/2020 4:19 PM Gary Slater <gws77@...> wrote:

Greg, did you say once that Dodds is about 20 acres?

Jeffrey Suckow

You can measure in google maps now.  Just right click (I think you have to hold it) and select your points.  If you connect the points it will give you the area.

image.png

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 4:39 PM Christopher Deem <chris-deem@...> wrote:
According to the Park District website, the entire park is 104 acres.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Just after hitting the send I remembered I have google earth.  I did a quick measurement.  From Bradley to the ball fields (~1300') x east to west field measurement (~980') equals about 29 acres if my math is correct.
On 07/07/2020 4:19 PM Gary Slater <gws77@...> wrote:

Greg, did you say once that Dodds is about 20 acres?

Greg Montalvo

I was thinking about driving over from Macomb, IL to launch with you this weekend.  I have a couple of rockets with G motors.  One should reach 2000ft. I plan to use a Jolly Logic Chute Release set to 300 ft.  Can Dodd’s Field handle that?

Thanks,

Greg Montalvo

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Just after hitting the send I remembered I have google earth.  I did a quick measurement.  From Bradley to the ball fields (~1300') x east to west field measurement (~980') equals about 29 acres if my math is correct.

On 07/07/2020 4:19 PM Gary Slater <gws77@...> wrote:

Greg, did you say once that Dodds is about 20 acres?

Christopher Deem

A lot depends on the wind speed and direction. We have launched rockets to 2000 ft or more that recovered in the park, and we’ve had rockets go much lower that left the park. A parachute release will greartly increase your chances of staying in the park, and we usually try to set up where we will have the most recovery area.

Christopher Brian Deem NAR 12308 TRA 2256 level 2                                               Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Just after hitting the send I remembered I have google earth.  I did a quick measurement.  From Bradley to the ball fields (~1300') x east to west field measurement (~980') equals about 29 acres if my math is correct.

On 07/07/2020 4:19 PM Gary Slater <gws77@...> wrote:

Greg, did you say once that Dodds is about 20 acres?

Greg Smith

Ditto what Chris said, but in general, what you described is well within the range of things we routinely fly at Dodds.

Right now, they’re predicting a NNW wind at about 10 mph at launch time. That could change between now and Saturday, but if it holds, thst shouldn’t rule out the flights you’re proposing.

- GDS