Topics

Outlook for Saturday launch

Greg Smith
 

We have a rocket launch scheduled tomorrow, Saturday, April 11, at the Rantoul Aviation Center. Setup will start about noon, and actual flying will probably get underway a few minutes before 1:00 PM. There is an FAA waiver to 10,000 feet and a "K" motor limit at this location.

The forecast calls for clear and sunny skies, with an afternoon high in the upper 50s, and northeast winds at 5 - 10 MPH. These are good conditions if the forecast holds, so I think it is likely we will be able to fly.

Due to that wind direction, we will probably set up at our lesser-used location on the east perimeter of the airport property. This spot is NOT documented on our online map on the CIA website, but to get there, take Chandler Road east as shown but continue following it all the way to the east edge of the airfield, where it curves around (left) to the north. Our launch location is behind the airport fence, on your left about 3/4 of a mile north of the turn. Look for what will probably be the only collection of vehicles in the area and you likely can't miss us.

Those who are coming from Champaign-Urbana may need to alter their normal route because many streets in town will be closed for the running of the C-U Marathon. If you stick to the arterial streets near the edge of town, or get on the highways or interstates as soon as possible, you probably won't encounter any of the traffic disruption. But the U of I campus area, in particular, will be pretty difficult to drive through for most of the day.




Greg Smith N9LHI
NAR 15881 * TRA 1974
Director of Operations, Central Illinois Aerospace
GregS@... 217-840-1678

Jonathan Sivier
 

Greg Smith wrote:
We have a rocket launch scheduled tomorrow, Saturday, April 11, at the Rantoul Aviation Center. Setup will start about noon, and actual flying will probably get underway a few minutes before 1:00 PM. There is an FAA waiver to 10,000 feet and a "K" motor limit at this location.
The forecast calls for clear and sunny skies, with an afternoon high in the upper 50s, and northeast winds at 5 - 10 MPH. These are good conditions if the forecast holds, so I think it is likely we will be able to fly.
It sounds pretty good. I have a gig in Berea, Kentucky Saturday evening so unfortunately I won't be able to attend. I hope the launch goes well and you have a great day of flying.

Jonathan