Topics

Student Launch project photos (was RE: [cia-rocketry] #Launch is GO) #Launch

Mark Joseph

I’ve added a smattering of iPhone photos from the Student Launch Project to a new folder in our Outreach & Education gallery on SmugMug.   I would welcome any other contributions.  The student team lead shot some launch and recovery video from a DJI Phantom drone, which I hope to see soon.  Anyone else?  Captioning and descriptions are a work in progress.

https://cia-rocketry.smugmug.com/organize/Outreach-Education/UIUC-ISS-NASA-Student-Launch-Project-2020

It was a pretty great day.  Thanks to those who came out to lend a hand, fly some rockets, or just hang out.  I’m sorry that more of our members and leaders couldn’t make it out to the launch, especially those who wanted to attend, but are recovering from various illnesses and procedures.  You were missed!  I know that the student team really appreciated this launch opportunity and the effort made by the club members.

Mark

From: cia-rocketry@groups.io <cia-rocketry@groups.io> On Behalf Of Gary Slater
Sent: Sunday, February 23, 2020 6:35 PM
To: cia-rocketry@groups.io
Subject: Re: [cia-rocketry] #Launch is GO

Only about five flights other than the student launch. 

The students took most of the day prepping ejection charges, shock cords, etc.  They flew on a K1050 to about 3650 feet ( Mark that was it ? ). Their OR prediction was about 4400. 

The flight up and the charges etc all went very well. There was damage to the apparatus designed to house and release the drone which was a near total loss however. The drogue also suffered a minor issue with one of the  cords being torn out. 

I think we were all pleased with the student flight in general. 

Anyone that cares to add or correct anything incorrectly stated please feel free. Also add and photos available. 

On Feb 23, 2020, at 5:33 PM, steven dramstad <sdramstad@...> wrote:

How did it go today?

On Feb 23, 2020, at 8:51 AM, Greg Smith <gregs@...> wrote:

At 8:00 AM, it was 39°F in Decatur, with a few clouds at 6,000', and a SSW wind at 13 mph.

Conditions are not perfect, but are within our flying limits, so we will meet at the Forsyth field as planned at 10:00 AM to begin setup for our launch.

- GDS

(re-sending with proper hashtag)

Christopher Deem

Nice pictures, I wish I could have been there.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 2/24/20 6:06 PM (GMT-06:00)
Subject: [Special] Student Launch project photos (was RE: [cia-rocketry] #Launch is GO)

I’ve added a smattering of iPhone photos from the Student Launch Project to a new folder in our Outreach & Education gallery on SmugMug.   I would welcome any other contributions.  The student team lead shot some launch and recovery video from a DJI Phantom drone, which I hope to see soon.  Anyone else?  Captioning and descriptions are a work in progress.

https://cia-rocketry.smugmug.com/organize/Outreach-Education/UIUC-ISS-NASA-Student-Launch-Project-2020

It was a pretty great day.  Thanks to those who came out to lend a hand, fly some rockets, or just hang out.  I’m sorry that more of our members and leaders couldn’t make it out to the launch, especially those who wanted to attend, but are recovering from various illnesses and procedures.  You were missed!  I know that the student team really appreciated this launch opportunity and the effort made by the club members.

Mark

The students took most of the day prepping ejection charges, shock cords, etc.  They flew on a K1050 to about 3650 feet ( Mark that was it ? ). Their OR prediction was about 4400. 

The flight up and the charges etc all went very well. There was damage to the apparatus designed to house and release the drone which was a near total loss however. The drogue also suffered a minor issue with one of the  cords being torn out. 

Anyone that cares to add or correct anything incorrectly stated please feel free. Also add and photos available. 

How did it go today?

At 8:00 AM, it was 39°F in Decatur, with a few clouds at 6,000', and a SSW wind at 13 mph.

Conditions are not perfect, but are within our flying limits, so we will meet at the Forsyth field as planned at 10:00 AM to begin setup for our launch.

- GDS

Dean Babcock

It was a great flight, keep posting updates if possible. Hope I am able to see the actual flight with the drone.

On Feb 24, 2020, at 6:06 PM, Mark Joseph <markjos@...> wrote:

Mark

How did it go today?

- GDS

M

Neat looking project. Looks like a good group.

Mike Z

From: cia-rocketry@groups.io [mailto:cia-rocketry@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mark Joseph
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2020 6:06 PM
Subject: [Special] Student Launch project photos (was RE: [cia-rocketry] #Launch is GO)

I’ve added a smattering of iPhone photos from the Student Launch Project to a new folder in our Outreach & Education gallery on SmugMug.   I would welcome any other contributions.  The student team lead shot some launch and recovery video from a DJI Phantom drone, which I hope to see soon.  Anyone else?  Captioning and descriptions are a work in progress.

Mark

How did it go today?

- GDS

Greg Smith

I haven’t even had the energy yet to pull the memory card out of the camera where I recorded some video yesterday. I’ll try (emphasis on “try” ‘cause I’m still moving pretty slowly) to add something to your gallery in the next couple of days.

- GDS

From: cia-rocketry@groups.io [mailto:cia-rocketry@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mark Joseph
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2020 6:06 PM

I’ve added a smattering of iPhone photos from the Student Launch Project to a new folder in our Outreach & Education gallery on SmugMug.   I would welcome any other contributions.  The student team lead shot some launch and recovery video from a DJI Phantom drone, which I hope to see soon.  Anyone else?  Captioning and descriptions are a work in progress.