Topics

Outlook for Saturday #Launch

Greg Smith

We have a rocket launch scheduled tomorrow, Saturday, February 22, 2020, at the Forsyth farm field. We will meet earlier than usual to assist a U of I student group in making a required test flight, and still break early enough in the afternoon to attend the Insect Fear Film Festival tomorrow evening.

For directions to this launch site, see http://www.ciarocketry.org/maps.html#forsyth

Setup will begin at 10:00 AM, along Schellabarger Road where it runs through the middle of the field. Flying can continue until approximately 3:30 PM. Our waiver allows flying up to 10,000' MSL (about 9,250' from ground level).

The forecast (NWS for Decatur) is better than usual for February:

-----

Saturday - Sunny, with a high near 46. South southwest wind 7 to 9 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph.

-----

We'll need to take a close look at the wind speed tomorrow before deciding whether we can fly, but it should be possible if this forecast turns out to be accurate. As always, I'll look at the actual conditions and short term forecasts and post the final decision about the launch here about 8:00 AM tomorrow (an hour earlier than usual due to the long travel time to the launch site). You can call me after that time at 217-840-1678 for an update.

Our next regular club launch will be Saturday, March 14, also at the Forsyth site.

-----

Greg Smith N9LHI
NAR 15881 * TRA 1974
Director of Operations, Central Illinois Aerospace
greg@... 217-840-1678