Topics

today's launch #Launch

Jonathan Sivier

Thanks to everyone who came out today to help with the launch in Forsyth. We realize that holding it on Monday was inconvenient, but there really weren't any other options.

It turned out to be a nearly perfect day for flying. It was a bit cool, but not really cold and the clouds never really cleared. We could see the clearing line in the clouds to our south, but it never got any closer to us. However, the thing that made the day so good was the fact that there was no measurable wind all day. The wind turbines to the north were completely motionless.

The U of I team had a (mostly) successful flight of their sub-scale rocket and now should have the info they need to finish their report. Several others also flew rockets and we had some spectators come by and watch for a while.

After the launch Greg, Chris and I went on an expedition to find something to eat. Apparently the first Monday in January isn't a good day to go out to eat. Eventually we ended up at a place in Champaign.

I'm sure there will be some discussion of the launch at the meeting tomorrow.

It would be an exaggeration to say the weather today was perfect – it would have to be warmer and with fewer high clouds for that – but it was just about as good as I have ever seen in the month of January. Considering the heavy wind gusts yesterday and predicted for tomorrow, it was amazing to see so many rockets go absolutely straight up, then hang directly under their parachutes without any oscillations at all, and land within a couple of hundred feet of the launchers. (Not all the rockets performed so perfectly, but there were enough that it was truly impressive.) The temperature (about 40°F) wasn’t even that hard to take with no wind and a bit of hazy sun for most of the afternoon. We had some excellent flights and a couple of nasty failures, but overall, a much better launch than we had any reason to expect at this time of the year. Overall an impressive performance by all, including the ISS team, who had a mostly successful flight and hopefully collected ample data and experience for their report and full scale project. I was pleased that so many flyers were able to make it out on a Monday afternoon. Sorry for those of you who couldn’t get away from work!

I don’t think we had any rockets flown on less than a D motor – am I correct? Largest was a K.

- GDS