Topics

Outlook for New Year's #Launch

Greg Smith

We will try to hold our annual New Year's Day special event launch tomorrow, Wednesday, January 1, 2020, at Dodds Park in Champaign.

Setup will begin at 12:00 noon, probably in the south half of the soccer field parking lots. Flying can continue until sunset at 4:38 PM. Our waiver allows flying motors through "H" class up to 4,000' MSL (about 3,250' from ground level).

Here's the forecast:

-----

New Year's Day - Sunny, with a high near 43. South southwest wind 8 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 21 mph.

-----

Whether we can fly tomorrow will depend almost entirely on the wind speed. If it stays under 20 mph we'll be good to go, but this forecast makes that appear iffy. I can't really make a prediction at this point. I'll look at the actual conditions and short term forecasts and post the final decision about the launch here shortly after 11:00 AM tomorrow. You can call me after that time at 217-840-1678 for an update.

Our next launch will be Saturday, January 11 at Dodds Park.

greg@... 217-840-1678