We have a rocket launch scheduled tomorrow, Saturday, June 8, at Dodds Park in Champaign.
Setup will begin at 12:00 noon, probably in the north half of the soccer field parking lots. We can fly until sundown at 8:20 PM. Our waiver allows flying motors up through "H" class up to 4,000' MSL (about 3,250' from ground level).
Here are the two slightly different Saturday forecasts I'm watching:
NWS - A chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 1pm. Increasing clouds, with a high near 82. East wind around 10 mph, with gusts as high as 23 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
TWC - Cloudy with occasional showers for the afternoon. Thunder possible. High 79F. Winds ENE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
My hunch is that even if it doesn't rain, we will find it too windy to fly, especially with the wind blowing from an unfavorable direction for the Dodds Park field. But as usual, we'll make the final decision after looking at the conditions about 11:00 AM tomorrow. I'll post the verdict here, or you can call me after 11:00 AM at 217-840-1678.
Our next flying activity will be a demo launch at the Urbana Park District's "Strawberry Jam" festival next Saturday (6/15/2019) at Meadowbrook Park. The next regular club launch will be Saturday, June 22 at Dodds Park.
Greg Smith N9LHI
NAR 15881 * TRA 1974
Director of Operations, Central Illinois Aerospace