From: cia-rocketry@groups.io <cia-rocketry@groups.io> On Behalf Of Jonathan Sivier
Sent: Thursday, February 7, 2019 1:17 PM
To: New CIA Email List <cia-rocketry@groups.io>
Subject: [cia-rocketry] launch code #launch

We have a launch scheduled for this coming Saturday, though the weather may cause us to cancel. When Greg sends out his messages about the launch you may notice something different. We are trying out the hashtag feature of this email list. Some people on the list have their delivery setting as "Special Notices Only" which means they don't get all of the messages sent to the list, only those marked as Special Notices. In the past the only way to send a special message was through the web interface. The hashtag "#launch" should allow Greg to send his messages as special notices by normal email. Hopefully, this will keep everyone better informed about club activities.

You can reply to these messages just as in the past. However, the replies will not be marked as special notices so some people may not see them. Also, only moderators on the list are allowed to initiate a message with this hashtag. If you try to do so and aren't a moderator you will get an error message asking you to edit the message (and remove the hashtag).

If this works out we may add some more hashtags for various topics, some that can be used by anyone. This could be a way to help organize things by topic, for example messages about designing rockets or something like that. We'll see if that seems useful or not. For the moment we'll just use this one to mark messages pertaining to our rocket launches.

I've marked this message with the hashtag so you can see what it looks like. Hopefully this will be a useful tool for our club communications.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments about this topic.

I had thought about going this year as well, but things didn't work out so I won't be able to attend. I certainly recommend the event for anyone else who might want to go.

Let us know how it goes.

Jonathan

On 2/7/2019 1:51 PM, John Robbins wrote:
Just a reminder of the Northern IL Rocketry conference. I put this on my calendar and was planning on attending.

Gary Slater

Jonathan,
I am not very adept to the point of being a social media illiterate therefore have no understanding of hashtag stuff. I really have no idea or understanding about what you are talking about with this. I use email and that's about it. Rarely ever get on Facebook. Never on Twitter or the other places. Keeping it simple is best for me. How will I get notices and still be able to reply?

Thank you,
gary

On February 7, 2019 at 1:17 PM Jonathan Sivier <@JonSivier> wrote:

[...]

In general you don't need to do anything. Your email will work the same as always, messages will come to you and you can reply to them, no change there. I just wanted people to know what that strange thing (#launch) was on messages that Greg (and possibly others) sends about our launches. You can just ignore it and it won't make any difference.

As I said there are some possible uses for hashtags that we might consider in the future. However, I don't think we really have enough traffic on this list to really need that sort of thing and there are other ways we could handle discussions of various topics if we thought that was needed.

Jonathan

On 2/7/2019 1:59 PM, Gary Slater wrote:
[...]

Good
And thank you

On Feb 7, 2019, at 2:09 PM, Jonathan Sivier <@JonSivier> wrote:

[...]

The big problem is that I have to remember to add the hashtag to my subject lines ... it may take my old brain a few tries to get it in there consistently!

Shouldn't be any effect on the messages you receive.

[...]

Tim Dixon

Hey, what a rocket weekend with N. Illinois conference, and for me (and hopefully some of you), the Indiana Rocketry high power launch @ ~10am Sunday. Between Tab and Pence Indiana: https://goo.gl/maps/i3jn7ZgHvM82

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019, 4:11 PM Greg Smith <gregs@... wrote:
> [...]

>>> them.  Also, only moderators on the list are allowed to initiate a
>>> message with this hashtag.  If you try to do so and aren't a moderator
>>> you will get an error message asking you to edit the message (and remove
>>> the hashtag).
>>>
>>>     If this works out we may add some more hashtags for various topics,
>>> some that can be used by anyone.  This could be a way to help organize
>>> things by topic, for example messages about designing rockets or
>>> something like that.  We'll see if that seems useful or not.  For the
>>> moment we'll just use this one to mark messages pertaining to our rocket
>>> launches.
>>>
>>>     I've marked this message with the hashtag so you can see what it
>>> looks like.  Hopefully this will be a useful tool for our club
>>> communications.
>>>
>>>     Let me know if you have any questions or comments about this topic.

John Robbins

Thanks for the heads up.   It may be a double for me to.

Is this the club that is one you reference?

http://www.indianarocketry.org/

> [...]
>>> them.  Also, only moderators on the list are allowed to initiate a
>>> message with this hashtag.  If you try to do so and aren't a moderator
>>> you will get an error message asking you to edit the message (and remove
>>> the hashtag).
>>>
>>>     If this works out we may add some more hashtags for various topics,
>>> some that can be used by anyone.  This could be a way to help organize
>>> things by topic, for example messages about designing rockets or
>>> something like that.  We'll see if that seems useful or not.  For the
>>> moment we'll just use this one to mark messages pertaining to our rocket
>>> launches.
>>>
>>>     I've marked this message with the hashtag so you can see what it
>>> looks like.  Hopefully this will be a useful tool for our club
>>> communications.
>>>
>>>     Let me know if you have any questions or comments about this topic.

Tim Dixon

Yes.

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 4:28 PM John Robbins <john.robbins@...> wrote:

> [...]

>>> them.  Also, only moderators on the list are allowed to initiate a
>>> message with this hashtag.  If you try to do so and aren't a moderator
>>> you will get an error message asking you to edit the message (and remove
>>> the hashtag).
>>>
>>>     If this works out we may add some more hashtags for various topics,
>>> some that can be used by anyone.  This could be a way to help organize
>>> things by topic, for example messages about designing rockets or
>>> something like that.  We'll see if that seems useful or not.  For the
>>> moment we'll just use this one to mark messages pertaining to our rocket
>>> launches.
>>>
>>>     I've marked this message with the hashtag so you can see what it
>>> looks like.  Hopefully this will be a useful tool for our club
>>> communications.
>>>
>>>     Let me know if you have any questions or comments about this topic.

Randy Milliken

FYI, the launch scheduled for Sunday has been rescheduled for next Sunday instead. The weather is looking bad so hopefully it will be better on the 17th. I'm not sure why Mother Nature doesn't want us to fly rockets this year.