Re: Build technique? #Tech

john hall

Gary, my daughter got me this kit for my birthday around a year ago, she went into Slot and Wing and asked for the coolest model rocket they had, they sold her the Mars Longship.  Unfortunately the complexity of the kit has prevented me from starting the build.  I've had it out of the box 3 times and put it back away :)   My wife got me the Estes Saturn V around two years ago, it's still in the box as well.  Maybe I'll get brave enough to tackle these at some point.

I'll be interested in how the build goes, see you at the next launch.

On Friday, 18 June 2021, 11:09:39 am GMT-5, Gary Slater <gws77@...> wrote:

Got the Estes Mars Longship.

There are 3 thick (about 1mm) pieces each 1 in wide that have to be glued to a 4 in diameter ring. Those thick pieces are of course flat and have to be curved.

The Apogee website recommends wetting them prior to bending to prevent undesired creases. I was afraid to do that.

I used this 1 in diameter dowels to cover, tape then zip tie to. Hopefully they will hold their curve when i release them after a couple of days.

The pieces have a smaller area as seen in the photo. I marked both ends the aligned those on the pencil mark on the dowel to make sure the curve is proper.

Its a very interesting kit. Some plastic parts included. Reminds me a bit of the 2001 ship.